TA is 560!!!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2011
So I just filled my pool after building it.... the water is cloudy greenish... not terrible so I started the SLAM process... pH was a bit high 8.0 .. so I was hoping lowering it would also decrease TA and it hasn't touched it... been in the 500's for 3 days .... water has not cleared at all... being that it wasn't that bad I figured I should see some clearing by now.... im guessing the TA is causing the cloudiness??
What's the best way/process to aerate to lower the TA??

Current readings...
FC.. 14
Cya 30
Ph 7.2
TA 560
CC.. 0

To lower TA you have to lower ph to 7.0-7.2 with MA and aerate to bring ph up. Rinse and repeat. My TA started at 200 out of my tap (fresh fill). Took a good 2 weeks to get it down to 90 after bringing it up to 7.8 then back down to 7.2. Had to do that over and over until ta was back in range.

The number doesn't seem likely for city water.

Can you describe your test procedure?

Do you get the same number when testing a sample from the tap?

- - - Updated - - -

Your city should have a water quality report available online. Check what they show for alkalinity.

I just got 500 from the tap...
Procedure:
Fill to 25ml on cylinder
Add 2 drops of 0007
Mix
Add 5 drops of 0008
Water turns green
Then add 0009 until it turns red... it took 56 drops to get the green to red...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm wiping every few drops.... I can try wiping EVERY drop...

Problem is that the water is a cloudy green mushy color... im not really losing and FC overnight... maybe 1ppm... so it's not fighting anything... can the high TA cause the murky water?

Wow, where are you? Highest TA ever! You might as well switch to this process to save reagent,

If you expect that your TA level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 1 drop of R-0007, 3 drops of R-0008, and multiply the number of drops of R-0009 by 25 to get your TA level.

By your name, I assume you're from New Orleans or at least Louisiana area. That TA seems high, but maybe other people from area can chime in. Anyway, keep your PH low 7.0-7.2 range until you see that TA drop. It will take awhile, but at least TA is "fixable" without draining. Unlike CYA, CH and salt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.