T-15 SWG says 3000, test kit says 4600?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
I cant test it again because a party is starting and my wife is done with me messing with the pool, but I have this issue. Pool seems to be very low on chlorine every evening and to keep it in check I am supplementing with real chlorine. I really have only done this one time, and 7 people have swam in the pool today. BUT, checking everyting out it seams my salt is way high 4600 but the generator said 3000. Someone once said just use the generators estimate over your own, but something seams off here.

The taste of the pool water should be quite salty. Is it?
To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.

What is your CYA? In OKC, around 70 should work this time lf year.
Use the FC/CYA Levels and dose your pool with liquid chlorine to stay near the high end of the target range.

The taste of the pool water should be quite salty. Is it?
To get the performance of the cell, divide the instant salinity by the actual salinity. If the ratio is less than 75%, it's time for a new cell. For example, 2,000 (instant salinity) ÷ 3,600 (measured salinity with a test kit)=56%. Check the cell and clean it if necessary. If that doesn't work, it's time for a new cell.
In my case would instant be what the machine is displaying = 3000, actual is what I measured with my test kit = 4600? 3000/4600 = 65% Is this what you are saying?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Likely scale. See if that changed the instant salt

What is scale? And no it did not. It’s been running for 30 minutes and it says 2900. One thing I have not done, is clean it with muriatic acid. I just bought a stand for it on Amazon and it’ll be here on Sunday and I will do the four to one cleaning solution. I have not cleaned it like that ever and I’ve owned it for three years used.

Use cleaning vinegar. MA is really abusive to the cell plates.
I have never cleaned my SWCG's with MA. First lasted 8 years.

What is scale?
Calcium Scale. Created by calcium in your pool water and the high pH environment inside the SWCG cell.

The rare earth metals on the plates is used up. Some cells have more electronics in them and they can fail. But the Aquarite is pretty basic. So it is nearly always just used up.

The rare earth metals on the plates is used up. Some cells have more electronics in them and they can fail. But the Aquarite is pretty basic. So it is nearly always just used up.
Thanks as always mknauss... I just figured out the serial number on the unit. Its just over 8 years old. Salt is 4200 by taylor k17XX whatever test kit and the unit is saying it is 2500 as of now. I tested the resistance on the thermistor and that is 10.42 kohms, so its good. My PH is 8.2, calcium hardness is 250, alkalinity is 120, chlorine is 10 this morning, no Combined chlorine, CYA 70. Although the PH is high, I don't believe any of this makes a difference as far as the unit reading the salt correctly. I also cleaned the plates

What is it specifically in the cell that is determining the salt level? Is it the plates or the Thermistor, or something else?
Is there anyway to test the plates using a voltmeter to conclusively determine if they are bad?

Last edited:

Your cell is used up. If you switch the cell type in the controller to T9, you might get it to work at a lower generation rate for a short while. @mas985 has been experimenting with that.
Thank you, you have really helped me. That link told me everything I needed to know. Yes its used up, my pocket book does not want to admit that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.