Switching from LC to SWG

So one of the pool company guys came out to give an estimate. Suggested the Jandy AquaPure which is rated to 40k gallons (my pool is 37.5k). Little hesitant because of the advice on here to get as oversized a SWG as possible, and I was leaning toward the pentair IC60 SEG.

What are folks thoughts on this?

Also, can someone please help me understand why it is recommended to get an oversized filter and SWG?
I would NOT get the Jandy 1400 for a 37.5k gal pool. You are just cutting it too close.

The ratings of SWCG is based on 24 hr operation at 100%. So you would be running it somewhere between 75% and 100% just to keep up depending if it is summer (high demand) or winter (low demand).

Reactions: Sidemoves
Do I need a variable speed pump? Or will my 2hp pentair whisperflow be ok? Does the SWG need to run 24/7?
How much FC ppm that is generated is based on 2 components which are how long the pump runs is at which percentage output of the SWCG. The longer the pump runs the lower the percentage and the shorter pump time means higher percentage for the same FC ppm value. That is why VS pumps are so good with SWCG. You can run long pump times at low speed to be very energy efficient and produce FC throughout that time.

How much FC ppm that is generated is based on 2 components which are how long the pump runs is at which percentage output of the SWCG. The longer the pump runs the lower the percentage and the shorter pump time means higher percentage for the same FC ppm value. That is why VS pumps are so good with SWCG. You can run long pump times at low speed to be very energy efficient and produce FC throughout that time.
So SWG works better with VS pump, but not required. Correct?

No it doesn't work better and doesn't know the difference of the pump speed as long as it satisfies the flow switch your golden. You pocket will be the one that gets happy with lower rpm thus using way less electricity. VS pumps give you opportunity to run low rpm 24/7 in conjunction with the SWCG if need to be.

As indicated by @wireform - A VS pump is not required but you are more efficient with a VS pump. Flow is flow - once you reach the minimum flow to activate your SWCG then any pump speed above that is just using additional energy. Now I run my VS pump at a higher speed for several hours a day but that is to provide skimming action while also producing chlorine.

So any time your run your pump above the minimum speed to activate your SWCG, you should have a reason for doing so - such as skimming or maybe operating a pressure side or suction side cleaner,or running a water feature, etc. All other times should be at the lowest speed that still allows the SWCG to produce chlorine. Sorry to be long winded!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.