SWG with ORP/PH automation recomendations

May 5, 2013
Hi,

So i have owned an autopilot total control system for several years. Its been rock solid for me and I have had zero problems. This was the only system that monitored PH and ORP at the time. I am getting ready to move and build a new pool and I'm wondering what the newest recommendations are. I'm especially interested in having the system integrated into an automation system (for both remote monitoring and general laziness). My plan is for

1) VS or VF pump run 24/7
2) SWG with ORP and PH monitoring with some sort of acid delivery system
3) Automation center for remote monitoring and control of the pool conditions
4) I will be controlling a pool light (preferably color) with the automation system but I don't have any water features planned
5) I'd like to use the automation to switch from pool to spa mode (I can't do this currently because I didn't want to switch out the valves in my current system)

The pool will be in groud rectangle with a overflow spa together around 20K gal. I'm not tied to any single brand and have both pentair and autopilot equipment running right now.

I installed the Autopilot, heat pump, intelliflow pump and a easytouch control system at my current house so I'm reasonably technically savy.

Thanks
Paul

Following

Ive build my own system based on Apple's Homekit platform.

If youre a techie, i can help you with the first steps.

Right now, i control:

-lights
-pool pump speeds
-chlorinator
-acid (computer)

IMG_8538.png

TFP generally does not recommend the use of ORP sensors for outdoor SWG pools due the higher CYA levels causing issues.
Glad to hear that you did not have any issues, but the does not seem to generally be the case.

TFP generally does not recommend the use of ORP sensors for outdoor SWG pools due the higher CYA levels causing issues.
Glad to hear that you did not have any issues, but the does not seem to generally be the case.

Sorry for the delay I've been dealing with the hurricane and aftermath (We are fine and the pool is unscathed but school and road closures are a pain)

What does TFP recommend? Would that be a different sensor than ORP or a different type of system like liquid chlorine?

Thanks

Paul

There is no reasonably priced sensor to monitor FC level. The ORP sensor tries to monitor a surrogate, but there are too many things that interfere with it.

So, generally chlorine is added, either via SWG or bleach (stenner pump if automating), on a time based schedule that needs to be adjusted with the seasons. This is open loop and not based on any sensor reading.

Pools are never set and forget. There is always maintenance and monitoring required.
Or roll the dice and hire a service company if you do not want to be bothered ... although your water will never be as good ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.