SWG Recommendation

Others will have to help you with the acid option, but for the SWG I have the Circupool RJ-45 for my pool that is just under 18K. Many like that Circupool honors a prorated warranty for homeowner installs while some of the other SWG makers do not. Just something to keep in mind when shopping. Be sure to visit Discount Salt Pools as they have a salt cell comparison page that gives some good info.

Others will have to help you with the acid option, but for the SWG I have the Circupool RJ-45 for my pool that is just under 18K. Many like that Circupool honors a prorated warranty for homeowner installs while some of the other SWG makers do not. Just something to keep in mind when shopping. Be sure to visit Discount Salt Pools as they have a salt cell comparison page that gives some good info.
Thanks for the suggestion. That was the one I was considering. Any suggestions on which salt brand to use?

Any suggestions on which salt brand to use?
In general, any pool salt or something like the Morton water softener salts will work, but look at the contents and purity if listed. Once in a while owners get salt t hat has some iron in it that might cause a few stains. Solar salt is usually quite pure and small in size to dissolve easier.

If you used a Stenner for chlorine, the same set up can be used for acid. Just dilute the acid by at 1:1 with water.

I use whatever plain water softener salt is available at Home Depot.

Do you have a water softener? Really makes things easier if you can use softened water for fill water due to evaporation.

If you used a Stenner for chlorine, the same set up can be used for acid. Just dilute the acid by at 1:1 with water.

I use whatever plain water softener salt is available at Home Depot.

Do you have a water softener? Really makes things easier if you can use softened water for fill water due to evaporation.
Yes, we have a whole home softener/filter (LifeSource - doesn’t require use of salt) as well as an auto-fill for the pool.

Yes, I was already considering a Stenner pump with a chemical tank for the acid, but wanted to see what other options people were using.

Why the need to dilute the acid if using a chemical tank to dispense it?

If your softener does not use salt, then it is not removing calcium and thus will do no good for the pool.

It is easier on the tubing and other components to dilute the acid.

The consensus when others have asked similar questions seems to be "Circupool unless you already have automation that can control the cell. Then get one compatible with that." (For example, my Jandy iAqualink RS talks nicely to AquaPure SWGs.)

One final question… Are there any disadvantages going with a salt-gen?

This is an older pool & heater but pool itself was recently replastered and will the salt effect decking or other components in the pool.

Thanks in advanced

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are there any disadvantages going with a salt-gen?
Other than the initial up-front cost, no. Of course ANY automated product is subject to issues down the road, just like a pump or anything else. But in general, SWG owners, myself included for a coupler years now, are quite happy with the convenience of automatic FC production and not having to lug around jugs or search for them with supplies in short demand.

This guy seems to make sense on this topic.

The moral seems to be that if the pool is well cared for and the SWG is correctly installed, no problem.

Our SW pool is 16 years old. We've owned it for the last two. I can't find any corrosion damage. The old owners did replace the heater two years ago. Don't know if that was original. It was plumbed with the SWG before the heater, which is bad. That's fixed. Our coping is all sandstone. Supposedly salt staining can be a problem. I can't see any. We just finished 12 days away on vacation. Turned the SWG up a bit for a safety margin and came home to perfect, clear water.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.