New SWG and pool…add muriatic acid?

my understanding is that the results of the test indicate that the chlorine loss is happening during the day? I assume that is due to the low CYA
Correct. 2 things consume FC. UV and organics. You lost no FC without the UV, so there is nothing growing in the pool.

Losing 1.5 FC per day is fair for TX for April. Nothing is wrong there. You want to raise the CYA instead for your SWG.

You proved it was safe to do so with the OCLT. Slam suuuuuuuuucks at 28 FC / 70 CYA, when it's only 12 FC for 30 CYA. You had the ability to SLAM at 30 right now and proved you didn't need to.

Proceed with targeting 70 CYA. Add 75% of what you need and creep the rest of the way.

Also, you need to keep your FC free and clear from minimum.

lc_chart.jpg

Or once the SWG is going

swcg_chart.jpg

Reactions: Supersix
Correct. 2 things consume FC. UV and organics. You lost no FC without the UV, so there is nothing growing in the pool.

Losing 1.5 FC per day is fair for TX for April. Nothing is wrong there. You want to raise the CYA instead for your SWG.

You proved it was safe to do so with the OCLT. Slam suuuuuuuuucks at 28 FC / 70 CYA, when it's only 12 FC for 30 CYA. You had the ability to SLAM at 30 right now and proved you didn't need to.

Proceed with targeting 70 CYA. Add 75% of what you need and creep the rest of the way.

Also, you need to keep your FC free and clear from minimum.

View attachment 564296

Or once the SWG is going

View attachment 564297
Thank you for the help!

Reactions: Newdude
If it were me, I'd bring it up to SLAM levels for a day or two. Then do another OCLT.
With FC so low 2-3.5, with CYA 30, you have zero margin of error.
Given that you're new to testing and have had low FC lately, I'd sure encourage a quick little SLAM and repeat OCLT.

After adjusting CYA and FC I now have the following numbers. Much better than what I had so now I’m wondering what to do next.

Presumably with it being April in Texas we are still far from peak UV demand so I am wondering if the CYA is okay for now or if I should push for 70. I added 1lb of dry stabilizer last night and it’s been 20 hours between adding it and testing.

Also, the salt cell ran at 75% today and FC at 5 is the highest I’ve seen so far after adding 24oz of bleach last night (it was at 3.0 prior to the add).

Is the goal to run the salt cell just enough to keep FC stable from day to day? Currently it is running 14 hours at 75%.IMG_6356.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
with it being April in Texas we are still far from peak UV demand
It will spike soon enough. Plus, you kinda have the regular peak that everyone has, and then a peak on top of the peak because TX.
I am wondering if the CYA is okay for now or if I should push for 70
You can either raise it when needed, or just get it out of the way now.
Is the goal to run the salt cell just enough to keep FC stable from day to day?
The goal is to never get near minimum.

swcg_chart.jpg

I hate the word minimum. It sounds to okay-y for me. Rename it Swampville and recognize that one hiccup of the SWG could leave you with 4 or 5 ppm loss that day, below minimum FC, aka Swampville. You really want to target high target, or even above.

When you're only losing 1 or 2 ppm a day, then obviously the target can reflect that and still give you some wiggle room.

It will spike soon enough. Plus, you kinda have the regular peak that everyone has, and then a peak on top of the peak because TX.

You can either raise it when needed, or just get it out of the way now.

The goal is to never get near minimum.

View attachment 564761

I hate the word minimum. It sounds to ok-y for me. Rename it Swampville and recognize that one hiccup of the SWG could leave you with 4 or 5 ppm loss that day, below minimum FC, aka Swampville. You really want to target high target, or even above.

When you're only losing 1 or 2 ppm a day, then obviously the target can reflect that and still give you some wiggle room.
Driving on “E” a better analogy? Continuing to drive without refilling is going to leave you stranded with a hefty tow bill to the next gas station.