Richmond VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello, just opened the pool last week. I have a T Cell 15. Not sure if I am experiencing an old T Cell that needs replacement or something else. The T Cell is 13 years old. Operated fine last season. I don't normally set chlorination more than 10 percent and it has served us well through the years. If we have a party then we throw a couple bags of shock after. Let me share what is going on, I manually invoke the SWG via Diagnostic sometimes to see where my salt level is, especially this is during pool opening. I have been getting readings where it defers each time,

1) Voltage around 24 volts +- 2
2) Amps - Here is where it can range from 1.5/2 Amps or 5 Amps
3) Salt - 400/500 or 2800/2900.

So one time I can get 1.5 amps with a salt reading of 400 ppm, and then the next time it is 5 amps with 2900 ppm. Interesting is that when it reads 400/500 after when it is done, the system does not go into "Check System" like it would do in the past when salt is below 2500/2600 ppm.

I inspected the cell and saw a piece of plastic stuck between the fins, I thought that would be it. After clearing it, the result was still the same.

Time to replace the cell?

A 13 year old cell is pretty amazing. I’d guess the cell is just done, but let’s see what others on here say. Perhaps someone who has your cell type will respond.

Please run the diagnostics as shown in the above and post them here.
My Menu Button on the local display is no longer functioning. I operate things via the AquaPod. However the AquaPod does not have all the options that is listed in your link.

From AquaPod

Test 1
-29.12V -1.95A
60F 0600PPM

while Test 1 is running, if I initiate the Test again in Diagnostic then the readings go back normal

Test 2

-27.05. -5.33A
60F 2900PPM

Thanks

If your buttons are no longer working, it may be time for a new control board/display.

Hard to decipher without the diagnostic data.

I ended up replacing the cell. One of the discrepancy I noted was the cell water temp was between 10-15 F difference from the pool temp. I have manually kicked off the cell a few times and no 0400/0500 PPM readings from it. Temp delta between thermostats about 3 F (normal as far as I have seen through the years). Thank you all for your response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh one more thing.. hopefully this one lasts at least 13 years :)
Does anyone know what to do with the old one? Refurb it? throw it in the trash?