Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good afternoon,

I’m starting to plan for my SWG installation. I’m planning a Pentair IC20 (10000 gallon pool/spa) with the transformer and surge board inside my load center. I’m looking at a Jandy spring check valve between the heater and the IC20. Below is a picture of the return line going to the return valve. The lines are 2in PVC. The pool equipment is higher than the pool.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to plumb this system in. I’m considering:
1). IC20 horizontally on line 1, check valve vertically on line 2.
2). IC20 horizontally on line 1, 90 degree check valve at junction of line 1 and 2
3). IC20 and check valve vertically on line 2. Use 2 90 degree PVC fittings to step line 1 back down to return valve level. (Maybe 2 45 degree fittings if I can make it fit). There is plenty of slack in the blower power line if I need to raise it.

I would appreciate any advice on the overall plan and plumbing. I’m open to any and all ideas.
Thanks!
Scott

IMG_0539.jpeg

I don't have the exact length of the IC20 but it appears that the 24" on line 1 would be sufficient.
There is no need for a check valve as SWCG only produces Chlorine with flow.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks. I think it’s about 17 inches for the cell. Maybe I shouldn’t be, but I’m a little worried about concentrated chlorine water flowing back into the heater when the pump shuts down.

600px-Pentair_Intellichlor_Specifications.jpg
The IC15/20/40/60 needs 17 inches to be cut into a PVC pipe. The cell is just under 16" from the end of one union to the end of the other union.

Reactions: HermanTX
Good afternoon,

I’m starting to plan for my SWG installation. I’m planning a Pentair IC20 (10000 gallon pool/spa) with the transformer and surge board inside my load center. I’m looking at a Jandy spring check valve between the heater and the IC20. Below is a picture of the return line going to the return valve. The lines are 2in PVC. The pool equipment is higher than the pool.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to plumb this system in. I’m considering:
1). IC20 horizontally on line 1, check valve vertically on line 2.
2). IC20 horizontally on line 1, 90 degree check valve at junction of line 1 and 2
3). IC20 and check valve vertically on line 2. Use 2 90 degree PVC fittings to step line 1 back down to return valve level. (Maybe 2 45 degree fittings if I can make it fit). There is plenty of slack in the blower power line if I need to raise it.

I would appreciate any advice on the overall plan and plumbing. I’m open to any and all ideas.
Thanks!
Scott

View attachment 557669
I used to have a Pentair System before it finally gave up. I replaced the whole thing with a Circupool because the Pentair cell replacement cost just got way out of hand over the last 3 or 4 years. Anyways.... If I were you, I would mount the cell on Run 1, the 24" horizontal one. That will give you easy access to view the status lights on the cell and push the buttons on it. It may not seem such a big deal now if you mount it on the vertical run, but in a year or 2, time, you'll wish you didn't. Trust me on that!

Reactions: ScudBar61
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll take a look at the Circupool system.
It never hurts to look. The worst part about the IC system has all of the electronic controls, and flow switch contained inside the cell. Thats what makes it so expensive to replace. A replacement IC cell is somewhere around 1100 to 1400 dollars, depending on the size.

I had my Pentair IC60 System and I had to replace the cell twice in a period of 9 years. The last one failed 2 year ago (that makes 3 and it ticked me off something powerful) and I just wasnt willing to shell out 1300 dollars for another IC60 cell replacement. So I replaced the whole SWG system with the Circupool.

You can buy a whole Circupool RJ Plus 30 for about 1300 to1400 dollars. The replacement cell is around 600 from the MFR. you can get a generic one that works for around 350, and the Hayward replacement cells fit and work with the circupool. The controller and display on the circupool RJ Plus is really nice too and gives you a whole lot better user experience than the Pentair does.

Dont get me wrong, the Pentair IC is a great system as long as the cell doesn't fail. I had one for a long time. Its just not the most user friendly, and is the most expensive one out there and it does not do any better job or last longer than any other brand.

Last edited:
It never hurts to look. The worst part about the IC system has all of the electronic controls, and flow switch contained inside the cell. Thats what makes it so expensive to replace. A replacement IC cell is somewhere around 1100 to 1400 dollars, depending on the size.

I had my Pentair IC60 System and I had to replace the cell twice in a period of 9 years. The last one failed 2 year ago (that makes 3 and it ticked me off something powerful) and I just wasnt willing to shell out 1300 dollars for another IC60 cell replacement. So I replaced the whole SWG system with the Circupool.

You can buy a whole Circupool RJ Plus 30 for about 1300 to1400 dollars. The replacement cell is around 600 from the MFR. you can get a generic one that works for around 350, and the Hayward replacement cells fit and work with the circupool. The controller and display on the circupool RJ Plus is really nice too and gives you a whole lot better user experience than the Pentair does.

Dont get me wrong, the Pentair IC is a great system as long as the cell doesn't fail. I had one for a long time. Its just not the most user friendly, and is the most expensive one out there and it does not do any better job or last longer than any other brand.
The circupool system is definitely in the mix here. Any thoughts as to the Core vs the RJ Plus system?

Thanks!

The circupool system is definitely in the mix here. Any thoughts as to the Core vs the RJ Plus system?

Thanks!
I happen to like the IntelliChlor system and that you get new electronics with every cell replacement. It keeps the system more trouble free during the life of the cell and one less thing to fail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks!
I don't have any personal experince with the Core, and have never seen one, so I'm hesitant to make a comment one way or the other. It looks like a cool concept tho, and simple. What I can't determine from their website, is how that thing is powered up, or what kind of information it shows the user. I like to know these things and I'm a numbers kind of guy...

The RJ plus is pretty simple and easy to install too. I like that by the tap of a finger the RJ plus will tell you the water temperature, it will tell you the current salinity ppm of the pool, it will tell you the average salinity of the pool over time, It will tell you the volts and amps of the cell and those paramaters tell you the cell is actually working. There are also idiot lights on the RJ to let you know the system is generating chlorine if its low or high on salt or has low flow or if it's time to clean the cell. Ive seen haywards, Jandays, Pentairs and compupools and they are all good !! However I think the RJ Plus is the most easy and user friendly and well thought out of them all. - As I said before, I used to be a pentair guy for a long time and i fervently recommended them, but they just got out of hand on their cell replacement pricing, otherwise I would still be using it. After having this RJ for a couple of years now, I gotta say, I'm impressed with it.

Because I'm a long winded kind of guy, I'm gonna tell you a story.
Right after I installed the RJ, I was not happy, to say the least. The displayed readings for salt werent right, it said I had low flow and the cell maintenance light was on and whatever all else it told me was happening. I was pretty ticked off that this brand new right out of the box SWG System had some serious problems.

After a couple of hours of being mad, and retesting my salt level 3 times and checking and double checking this and that, I called Circupool customer service. That guy told me to calm down! Can you believe he had the nerve to tell ME to calm down?????? LOL

Anyways, he told me that what was happening was pretty normal for that system and that it needed some time to calibrate itself to my pool. So even though I was still fuming, I gave it overnight to straighen itslef out and sure nuff it did. It got itself sorted out and I called the customer service guy back and had to eat crow. And I apoligized to him for all of the 4 letter words I used while talking to him on the phone. Ive been happy ever since.

Last edited:
That’s good info, especially about the customer service. I had a couple of dealings with Pentair customer service—not the worst, but definitely not the best. Thanks!

That’s good info, especially about the customer service.
I want to dislike Cicupool badly. They claim all their flagship models make 50% more FC, for 50% longer when they are all knockoffs of major brands.

They really don't exist and are simply a reseller of said knockoffs under a 'store' (DSP), designed to look independent.

Marketing has all the models overpriced, on a forever sale where they upgrade you to the next size for $1 to $10. The 'sale' ends and a new one starts the next day, with a nominal but different 'upgrade' price.

The best warranty out there is prorated and after a couple years, isn't all that great.

It irks me that they play so many games when they don't need to, selling great products. There are tons of real world members here, happy with each model. It's also well proven here that they usually step in quickly when there is a problem. And while the prorated warranty isn't all its cracked up to be, on years 3+, *something* is better than nothing from the big 3.

So as much as I want to dislike them, I still always recommend them for consideration (Until anything changes).

Reactions: Divin Dave

Thanks!
One thing that should be pointed out. You have a Pentair IntelliCenter automation system. The Pentair IC SWCG will integrate with it and you be able to remotely control your SWCG such as setting the % output or have a warning if not operating.
A 3rd party SWCG such as CircuPool is completely independent and only controlled by physically touching the controller at the equipment pad. Some people find integration is important for that complete remote capability - others do not. Personal preference.

How often do you need to change the % output of SWCG - not much. I find I do more as the transition from Winter to Spring to Summer because pool warms up, sun is brighter and higher in sky but once summer hits - I rarely have to adjust my % output on the SWCG.

+1 for spa use. Without a spa, I get 2 to 6 weeks between SWG adjustments so walking over to the equipment pad to make one click isn't a big deal. With a spa and automation, it would save that trip everytime you use the spa if you stuck with pentair.

Reactions: HermanTX