SWG not producing chlorine? Help!

Raise the FC up a bit with bleach, do the OCLT tonight and first thing tomorrow before the sun hits the water, and see how you fare. Just make sure the SWG is off overnight.

Then tomorrow morning we'll see where we are...ok?

I just tested.

pH 7.4
FC 6.4
CC 0

Pool and SWG is scheduled to run between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Does this plan sound okay?

I'll add a gallon of bleach right now. After 7:00 when everything is turned off I'll go test the FC. Then in the morning after my kids are on the bus and just before everything turns on again at 8:00 I'll test again and post results here. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will there be any sunlight on the pool at 0800? If so its too late. Can you test the FC about 0630 or before sunrise?

I can try. It's hard when getting my twins ready for school. The sun rises on the other side of the house so most of the pool is in the shade until 10 or 11.

Right now it's cloudy and just started raining. How will rain impact the test if it does that tonight?

Rain doesn't impact FC levels directly. If you get several inches, it can impact PH and TA because rain water can either be acidic or basic and because the aeration can also increase PH; CH and CYA because of dilution. People will claim it causes problems, but the problems are from the pool owner ignore the pool for a few days and not testing and adjust chems.

This is probably redundant, but the pump should be on during the OCLT and the SWG should be off for the OCLT.

Rain doesn't impact FC levels directly. If you get several inches, it can impact PH and TA because rain water can either be acidic or basic and because the aeration can also increase PH; CH and CYA because of dilution. People will claim it causes problems, but the problems are from the pool owner ignore the pool for a few days and not testing and adjust chems.

This is probably redundant, but the pump should be on during the OCLT and the SWG should be off for the OCLT.

Not me! I got quite wet adding the gallon of chlorine! Lol. I can see not wanting to sit out there and test though. There is not a problem with FC because of dilution?

The pump runs during the day. Do I need to change the schedule then? It is off between 7:00 pm and 8:00 am.

Can I turn the SWG off from ScreenLogic?

I have a different SWG and am not familitar with Easy Touch/Screen Logic. So, hopefully someone familiar with your system will come along to help.

FC shouldn't be a problem unless you get a lot of rain (a few inches) or a lot of debris gets blown in the pool. Are you in TX? If so please add it next to your city location. Also, the size of your SWG in your signature will help as will the brand/model of your robot.

I have a different SWG and am not familitar with Easy Touch/Screen Logic. So, hopefully someone familiar with your system will come along to help.

FC shouldn't be a problem unless you get a lot of rain (a few inches) or a lot of debris gets blown in the pool. Are you in TX? If so please add it next to your city location. Also, the size of your SWG in your signature will help as will the brand/model of your robot.

I'll update it. Yes, Texas. IC40, 14,000 gallon pool, Maytronics S300i

Yes... on the page that shows the Pool temp and Spa Temp, there is a tab for Chlorinator... just reduce the output level to zero..

Jim R.

Thanks!

Okay, here we go.

OCLT 10:35 p.m.
Pool pumps - On
Intellichlor - Disabled
FC - 9.8
CC - 0.8
pH - 8 (added 1 qt MA)

And rescued our first frog (with a lot of girly squeals since the thing jumped at me and then bounced off my leg. Will promptly delete that video footage now [emoji23]). Will re-test FC in the morning.

eeeegads.... I'd want to hurl if a frog touched me. Just between us girls, I think Skippy would have squealed like a girl too, lol!

Okie doke... waiting to see how ya do in the am. <fingers crossed for less than 1ppm loss>

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had almost the same issue at first, but I believe my SWG wasn't keeping up with my pool because I was still learning all this pool match logic, my CYA level was low like 20-25... I run my SWG at 75% now and I do at the occasional bleach every few days when it starts getting a little low, I always raise my FC level up when im expecting guest over,.. also I can definitely see small fine bubbles coming out of the returns so I knew it was generating chlorine but just wasn't keeping up with the pool at the time., seems like you got a handle on it don't worry,

eeeegads.... I'd want to hurl if a frog touched me. Just between us girls, I think Skippy would have squealed like a girl too, lol!

Okie doke... waiting to see how ya do in the am. <fingers crossed for less than 1ppm loss>

Yip :flower:
. Lol. Yeah, frogs and nature are not my thing. I don't know if my other half would have reacted but I sure wouldn't have minded seeing!

Okay, I think we're good! This morning:
FC - 9.6
CC - .2

I had almost the same issue at first, but I believe my SWG wasn't keeping up with my pool because I was still learning all this pool match logic, my CYA level was low like 20-25... I run my SWG at 75% now and I do at the occasional bleach every few days when it starts getting a little low, I always raise my FC level up when im expecting guest over,.. also I can definitely see small fine bubbles coming out of the returns so I knew it was generating chlorine but just wasn't keeping up with the pool at the time., seems like you got a handle on it don't worry,

Hi ap! My CYA is at 60. I hear about most people being able to run theirs daily at 15-50% so running at 75% and having to add liquid bleach weekly doesn't seem right.

Can someone else chime in?

Just how much should the SWG be maintaining?

Hi TM

Sorry to see you are having all these SWG issues.

To answer your question about adding bleach - I have never had to add bleach to supplement chlorine production from SWG. Apart from pump run time, the pump speed is also important. I keep mine at 2000 rpm for atleast 8 hours. More sun and I may increase to 12 hours or increase pump speed to 2400 rpm.

Here is a picture of the bubbles I see from my SWG. It is only visible on the return outlet that's closest to the pump. On my 2nd closest return outlet, I see a few bubbles and no bubbles on the other 4 return outlets. Hope this helps.

The last possibility is that you have a faulty test kit or not doing the testing correctly. If you need to borrow my guess strips let me know - LOL.

So am I right that adding liquid bleach should not be necessary? What is reasonable to expect from the SWG at this point?

Keep in mind you were starting out with a FC of only 1, so there was no way for the SWG to compete with sun, bathers, and still get you up to the desired level before algae took hold. So yes, you *needed* that jump start of bleach to get you there, and now its time to tweak. Brian is right, raising your CYA to 80 will be the next step. Then we'll get on to the cell itself. I dislike that the PB threw all that salt in and started the cell up right away. I just hope that didn't mess it up some way?

Keep us posted :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.