SWG not producing chlorine? Help!

Okay, I dropped the Pool to 30% and changed the Spa to 5%. I'll test tomorrow evening and see how we're doing as I learn how to tweak. Hopefully, I'll get a handle on it soon. Thank you for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in case you were unaware but the spa% only applies when the pool is in spa mode. The spillway is what chlorinates your spa.

The spa% is designed to maintain a minimum chlorine level during spa use.

I always wondered what the % means on the IC40 SWG settings. Reading these manual thingies are quite useful :)

They are all based on a 60 minute cycle. 100% means it runs for all 60 minutes. 80% means it runs for 48 minutes and shuts down for 12 minutes, 60% means it runs for 36 minutes and shuts off for 24 minutes every hour. Interesting. I always thought that it might relate to the number of plates getting electric charge or something like that.

The IC40 unit also backwashes the unit automatically once every 2 hours of usage in the first 30 days and then the setting automatically changes to once every 4 hours after 30 days. These things are more intelligent than I thought.

For CYA and chlorine, my PB used the pucks in the skimmer basket till SWG took over. Once required levels were reached on SWG, the pucks were eliminated.

FYI, one of our users put together a calculator to estimate the pump runtime and percentage. Here is the thread: SWG Run Time Calculator

There is a link to download an Excel file (you'll need excel to put in your parameters).

If you use 2.5 ppm a day in FC and want to keep running it 11 hours you can turn it down to 46%.
If you use 3.0 ppm a day in FC and want to keep running it 11 hours you can turn it down to 55%.

For some reason I keep finding these "SWG not working" threads because I started one myself a couple times. Turns out cell works fine, pool owner needed a reset. If my chlorine slips below the target in poolmath, I get organics eating up my chlorine and the SWG doesn't keep up. And, knowing I can go up to shock levels and safely use the pool lets me error on the side of extra chlorine, not less.

Since I've learned my lesson, and keep my levels between 7-10, I've not had ANY cell-working thoughts at all. Don't see bubbles, but I'm confident I won't get any algae blooms as I did in the past. if chlorine drops due to excessive rain dilution or swimmer load, I just boost with liquid bleach, and let the SWG take over MAINTAINING my levels, not creating my levels.

Much happier since I learned my lesson. As a side note, my PB was little help, outsourced all info/training to a third party pool servicing company who just wanted to keep throwing chemicals in the pool, like the pool stores suggest.

sorry I might have forgot to mention that I only run my pump 8hrs a day and at a higher SWG percentage setting, that's probably why the reason I add liquid chlorine about every 4-6 days just to maintain good FC... yes I could run pump longer and lower SWG setting but I choose not too, since im having to add liquid chlorine level anyways due to have more people wanted to come over and swim I was ok with lowering the pump run time enough to MAINTAIN FD and my pool stays crystal clear using TFP methods. im sure we are all on the same boat with the TFP method but also believe we all will tweak and adjust with what works better for every pool and maintaining needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.