SWG Decision Time - Existing Jandy Aquapure 1400

Apr 20, 2012
Tampa, FL
So the pool was installed in 2006 and everything was Jandy. The automation, pumps, filters, electric valves, SWG, heater,etc. The quick story is that this Jandy SWG is a piece of junk and way too expensive. I have been through several cells in the last 5 - 7 years and alot of the time I have to chlorinate with liquid during summer just to get them to keep up and I run my pump 12 hours a day and have the SWG on at 100%. I do subscribe to the TFP Pool process and do not take advice from the pool stores. Having said that, I am looking to replace this salt cell with something that is more reliable and better at chlorinating. Is there a gold standard for what the best bang for your buck is for a SWG? Which brand/model? I do not care to stay in the Jandy family I want something that works.

Thanks for any feedback.

The cell is the Jandy Aquapure 1400, the larger one.

That should be more then adequate for your 16,500 gallon pool.

We usually do not suggest testing for phosphates but there have been some reports of high phosphate levels interfering with SWG chlorine production. Either wander into a pool store and have them test your water for phosphates or even better get the Taylor K-1106 Phosphate Test Kit which will likely be more reliable. Don't buy anything from the pool store but come back and report the results.

Last edited:
K,

I am not a Jandy fan, but I really, really doubt that the cell is the issue.. Many of our members have the 1400 and most all of them have had no problems. Something else has to be going on..

With a 16.5K pool, running the cell for 12 hours at 100% should produce about 4.5 ppm per day. Most pools use about 3 to 4 ppm per day in sunny places.

I suspect that your CYA is no where near 80 ppm..

That said, you need to buy whatever cell works best for you. I assume that your Jandy cell is connected through your automation. Keep in mind that if you buy an off brand cell, it is unlikely that you will be about to control it using your automation, other than the on/off cycle.

We have a lot of people here that have CircuPool units and for the most part everyone is happy with their performance.

Good luck with your "cell hunt"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ping
One thing about CircuPool is they appear to honor the extended warranty for DIY installs, something some other brands do not. Also watch the advertised specials. I noticed on the Discount Salt Pool site, their price with the $1 upgrade mark-up, was still about $20 more than Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.