Swamp to Swimming Pool

Raise the pH with borax to the lower 7s. Then add 10ppm of FC with bleach, let circulate for 30 minutes and retest FC and CC. I am not sure if ammonia could be a problem in this old water or not.

Pretty soon you are going to want to get about 30ppm of CYA dissolving and then follow the SLAM process.

Care to add some context?
- How much bleach was added (what target) and when?
- How long after addition did you test?
- Did you raise it back up to shock level after those readings?

Sounds good. With that amount of chlorine lost there must be a lot of something in the pool consuming it possibly ammonia. Keep doing what you're doing as often as you can tonight and the ammonia problem should be gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ph same but no chlorine this morning. Added 5 more jugs to bring fc around 11. Will not be able to check again until this evening.

I'm sure there is still some gunk in the deep end that I can't reach. I'm guessing that is what is eating up the chlorine along with the overall condition of the pool. I bought 20 jugs, guess I need to get a lot more.

With no CYA, the FC will be gone well before you get home even if there was nothing in the water. Tonight try to test every 30 minutes or so when the sun is not out and you will make a lot of progress.

Dwayne, been in your shoes with a foreclosure ;) I'd add the cya right now, and I'd bump up your shock level to mustard algae ratio (and assume cya of 30 once you add).

I'll be surprised if you have any FC left at the end of the day if you have to be gone that long, but will be happy to be wrong ;) is there someone you can get to test and add at lunch?

I don't know how warm it is in TN right now, but it bears mentioning that you're in a race against the algae growth, meaning any time you drop below shock/slam value, algae gets to multiply.

That said, I also know its possible with TFP help to go green to clean...here's a pic of my conversion over 12 days (some of those days were stalled while awaiting kit so your conversion may be faster, depending on temp and other variables).
image.jpg

Wow! I hope mine clears up that fast! The previous owners left the pool in quite a mess. They did nothing to winterize! Right now the pool seems to be frog utopia, but they are getting relocated.

Next week I can have someone run over a couple times a day for me, but I'm out of luck until they get back into town.

The weather is rain everyday with highs from lower 70's to lower 80's.

I'll just keep adding, netting, and scrubbing in the mean time :-|

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.