Swamp to pool conversion

While it is perfectly possible to kill algae with CYA at 0, it is actually easier to do so when CYA is around 30. With CYA at zero the FC level goes to zero each day, and the algae has a chance to start growing again. With CYA at 30 it is possible to keep the FC level above zero around the clock, which helps a great deal.

Re: Swamp to pool conversion - Pump

Just stopping in real quick, had to pick up some tools but want to try to get this going before dark.

No time to look this up, goign to proceed with my initial plan after I fix the plumbing, but was at Menards, and they have a conditioner/stablizer product with the main ingredient Trihydroxy-s-triazine, does not sound like CYA, but prehaps it is. They had a product that was 99.3% tri-chlor, so I went with that. hey also have a liquid pool shock, which is 12.5% bleach @ 4/$9.96. Seemed like a good buy, but I will punch it in the calculaor later to make sure. Thanks for all the advise so far. Hope to get started this evening, and with more pictures.

That was not CYA. It will say on the label cyanuric acid.
Truchlor will add some CYA and if it was granules it'll dissolve pretty fast. Once you add enough to get it the shock level you can use the pool calc to figure out how much CYA you added.

Bama Rambler said:
That was not CYA. It will say on the label cyanuric acid.
Truchlor will add some CYA and if it was granules it'll dissolve pretty fast. Once you add enough to get it the shock level you can use the pool calc to figure out how much CYA you added.

Glad I passed then :goodjob:

Pump finally works, had to repair the multiport (it had a slow leak) and plumb out the dead water heater. In the running process, I think the floor drain has become plugged with debris, but the skimmer drain is going strong.
[attachment=0:2w3sb5pf]plumbing pre.jpg[/attachment:2w3sb5pf]

Forgot the bring my computer (pool calc), so I went mainly from memory, and ended up putting more TRI than I had planned.

After my initial dose of TRI/Soda/Borax/Bleach I got the following readings:
PH 7.4
TC 4 (2.5 CC)

I added the rest of the borax/TRI/Bleach and then tested after 2o minutes
pH read over 8.2 so I added 8oz of MA. Did not remember that high FC levels affected pH.

Final test was:
pH 7.9
FC 27.5 (2.5CC)
CYA still under 20, but cloudy this time.
TA 60-70

So I overshot the FC level a bit. Left the pump running. Very excited the see what tomorrow brings. :whoot:

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Attachments

• plumbing pre.jpg
    plumbing pre.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 201
Bama Rambler said:
It's ok to overshoot it a little, and yes the pH will read high under high FC conditions.

Doing good so far!

Thank you for your support.

Pump ran all night!!! :wave: on recirc but, I am happy it ran all night as I tripped the breaker last night.

Question about sand filter. Put it on filter mode and turned on the pump and sand came out the pool return. I quickly grabbed mt leaf net and put over one (there are two total that I see) and gathered about 2 cups of sand before it starter flowing clear. As it appeared to be losing pressure (maybe 10 minutes), I switched back to recirc, and when I fired up the pump I got another 2-3 cups sand caught. I probably missed 8 or so cups that deposited into the pool. Does this signify a need for replacement or something else I can do (clean/replace sand) to fix this?

Morning (11AM) readings, overcast today so far, but clearing to full sun.
FC 19.5 (3 CC)
pH 7.1
TA 50
CYA not read
[attachment=0:2mofryrh]74 Pool AM.jpg[/attachment:2mofryrh]
Per calc, I should ADD 2-3 pounds of soda to get pH and TA back into range. Going to add 2 pounds in a bit unless I hear otherwise.

Attachments

• 74 Pool AM.jpg
    74 Pool AM.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 177
I suppose most are enjoying their pools this 4th of July. My pool is enjoying me...

Turns out that Menards shock liquid (12.5% bleach) is a great deal, so going to get lots. Can always use the Sams leach for laundry or other cleaning.

2 boxes (pounds) of soda into the pool and going to get shock liquid and mini pumps.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

2PM readings
FC 15+
pH 7.2
TA 60

[attachment=1:1w3xg11c]74 pool 2PM.jpg[/attachment:1w3xg11c]

and sand recovered from pool, can there be any left in the sand filter???
[attachment=0:1w3xg11c]Sand.jpg[/attachment:1w3xg11c]

Attachments

• 74 pool 2PM.jpg
    74 pool 2PM.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Sand.jpg
    Sand.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 166
Update from last night:
pH 6.8-6.9
FC 12.5
CC 2.5

I assume the pH gradual fall is attributed to the CYA dissolving in the water.

Added about 96 ounce of the 12.5 bleach to try and maintain shock overnight. Added another 128 ounces this morning.

Also added 152 ounces of Borax to try and put pH in a more reasonable range.

Hopefully if I do something too stupid, someone will point it out. Pictures are not changing much, but color in getting less green and more milky each day. Having filter problems and trying to get that corrected as I understand that will really help clear the water up. Anxious to see what the bottom of the pool looks like.

That said, I can see the first two steps on the pool. Each is covered with a brownish film that I have tried to scrub off with little success. I even used some bleach and I tried a Borax solution on the steps. I used some comet on the step wall above the water line which seemed to be moderately successful, but I do not know the make-up of comet and not sure I want it in my pool.

As always, any advice would be welcomed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hang in there... it took me over a month to clean up my mess. It is more difficult when you have several things working against you (like sand in the pool, equipment issues)... but don't give up... keep with the shock process and you will end up sparkly. :)

dattia said:
Hang in there... it took me over a month to clean up my mess. It is more difficult when you have several things working against you (like sand in the pool, equipment issues)... but don't give up... keep with the shock process and you will end up sparkly. :)

Thanks, and sounds like you feel my pain. Not much quit in me, but not much patience either.

I should have much experience in a months time, but for now, my lack of understanding of the sand filter process is holding me back I think.

Ah... the patience factor... :( Towards the end of my process, I thought I would pull my hair out thinking every day would be the day I walk out and see a sparkly clear pool only to find something that looked very similar to the day before. Finally, I went to visit my Mom for two and a half days... and when I got home, first thing I ran to the pool and there she was... a sparkling oasis. Just in time, I didn't think I could last much longer... I had no CCs and passed the OCLT for days and days before she finally cleared up.

Anyway, most of us have been right where you are and we are here when you need a little encouragement. I promise you, maintenance will be a breeze! :)

Hey I've been keeping up on this thread and although I'm not much more experienced at this whole deal then you I just finished a swamp conversion in NE Ohio. If you ever want to talk as far as where I find certain chems or pricing let me know (not sure how close to Boardman you are!). If you are in Boardman I'm going to assume you are the guy who beat me to my boxes of Borax I went to buy the other day and in a 5 minute drive walmart went from 10+ boxes in stoack to sold out.

Good luck and keep at it!

Guinness418 said:
Hey I've been keeping up on this thread and although I'm not much more experienced at this whole deal then you I just finished a swamp conversion in NE Ohio. If you ever want to talk as far as where I find certain chems or pricing let me know (not sure how close to Boardman you are!). If you are in Boardman I'm going to assume you are the guy who beat me to my boxes of Borax I went to buy the other day and in a 5 minute drive walmart went from 10+ boxes in stoack to sold out.

Good luck and keep at it!

Wasn't me, but yeah the secret is out. I am in the Canton/Akron Area and did take the last 3 boxes at the nearest Walmart to my home. Got 4 more in South Akron, near my day job, the Walmart price just blows all others I have found away.

Still fighting with my sand filter, but I did discover a Triton manual online, some of the diagrams look like what I have seen in my filter. Unfortunately the sun has wiped away and record on the model number, serial number, flow rate, manufacture date, etc. The only info I have is what is on the multiport and the label that says Triton, so if I need to order parts, I will be guessing.

The catfish (pool cleaner) comes with a 6 foot pole, but I was able to find a telescopic pole at Home Depot and they go to 20 feet I beleive. I picked up a 12 footer and it matches the thread on the catfish perfect, so I got to task to clean the deep end and the plastic connector snapped off in less than a minute. Luckily the catfish is naturally bouyant (even full of sand) so I was able to recover it. I am hoping in was just a defective pole and Home Depot will exchange it. Would be a fine solution if the pole can handle the weight.

My pool is in a similar state to yours - we bought our house a month ago, and the pool hadnt been opened in 5 years or more. The cover had been half caved in for probably most of those 5 years. We have emptied half the water to help us get to the leaves and muck, and have been using fishing nets and a sewage pump to remove the debris. Three of the tenants - the snapping turtles- moved out this weekend (finally!), but the bullfrogs refuse to move! The water is still greenish black, despite a ton of shock and clarifier. Please keep us posted on your progress. We only have a 5-way test kit, and the levels tonight were cya under 30, cl under 0.5, ph 7.2, alkalinity over 300, and hardness over 1000. I can't wait to hear about your success - it gives us hope for our own!

Wow, I hope you have started your own dicussion as it seems you are dealing with some factors that I did not have to consider (mainly high TA and high CH). My Chlorine needs have been more or less predictable, and with the pool calc I can pretty much guess what the FC level is going to be when I test next. It will be extremely rewarding, when I am lounging in my pool (well it is going to be a rental, but I will have an "owners use" clause :)) and know the condition is came from.

Last nights tests:
pH 7.5
FC 14.0
CC 2.0
CYA 23 - Ran the CYA test, even though it has not been quite a week. The water seems to be staying the same color and maybe getting a bit darker, and wanted to make sure I had the shock target correct.

Added 64 ounce of Bleach-12.5 and another 128 ounces this morning. I stirred up a bunch of gunk from the pool floor last night and with the rain, I thought maybe FC use would be higher today (very little sun, so maybe just the opposite??) Plus I will not be able to make it back over there until about 11:00 PM tonight.

Equipment update, received and installed my skimmer stainer today. Fits a little snug, but it fits. Thought of filling it half way with sand until I can get my sand filter working, but not sure I want to take the risk of losing circulation in the pool. Also, have removed all sand and water from sand filter, located the damaged parts and am working on finding replacements and making the repair.

zimmech said:
My pool is in a similar state to yours - we bought our house a month ago, and the pool hadnt been opened in 5 years or more. The cover had been half caved in for probably most of those 5 years. We have emptied half the water to help us get to the leaves and muck, and have been using fishing nets and a sewage pump to remove the debris. Three of the tenants - the snapping turtles- moved out this weekend (finally!), but the bullfrogs refuse to move! The water is still greenish black, despite a ton of shock and clarifier. Please keep us posted on your progress. We only have a 5-way test kit, and the levels tonight were cya under 30, cl under 0.5, ph 7.2, alkalinity over 300, and hardness over 1000. I can't wait to hear about your success - it gives us hope for our own!

When I started to do my conversion my hardness was like that because the "shock" packs I had purchased from the pool store were like 65% Calcium Hypochlorite. Then I found this site and got on track. Luckily because of draining and filling through backwashing and vacuuming so much my Calcium has steadily been at around 190-200. You should like shortdogOH said start your own thread and have all these great people help you. Just from reading pool school and their posts it got me on track in days. Although my pool is not clear yet it went from a dark dark forest green to being a few days away from crystal clear in like 3 weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.