cbray1984

In The Industry
May 5, 2024
Texas
I have installed a suntouch panel with a 2 speed motor and 2 speed relay and cannot get the pump to switch between speeds properly. I have been In the industry for 8+ years and am very familiar with the latest and greatest pool equipment, however I have very little expertise with the suntouch system. I have verified multiple times that my wiring to both my pump and relays is correct, and am 100% certain I am missing or doing something wrong in the programming. My main pump relay is plugged into pump on the board and my 2 speed relay is plugged into aux 3 as I know this is the common mistake with this setup. Please advise with any info you have that may help.

It could be but not sure...The pump only runs in high speed despite the wiring of the 2 relays being correct, as well as the pump wiring. This is what leads me to believe that it is something in the programming possibly. I am not even able to manually switch the pump between high and low speed. Have tested the relays and the relays are good. Thanks in advance for any help.

C,

Tell me how you are "manually" trying to switch the pump between High and Low speeds??

I would think that once connected to the SolarTouch, that would be impossible... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm using suntouch not solar touch, I know they are very similar but there are some minor differences I believe. So there are 2 ways to switch between hi and lo speed from what i can tell from the manual. You can go under menu and then circuit off/on to turn on low, or the up directional button should switch between high/low as well if my memory serves me correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any ideas on what I could possibly check in programming that could be causing the pump not to switch? I have already enable 2 speed pump under pumps menu option as well as assigned a schedule to both high/low speeds. Thinking maybe I have something wrong under the circuit functions or 2 speed pump settings.
Chris

Chris,

Sorry, I was looking at SunTouch, but wrote Solar Touch... :(

If I understand the operation, you should always be in low speed unless you have turned on a High Speed Circuit. What circuits have you set up as High Speed??? Where did you assign a low speed?

I assume the pump is running in High speed because the Pump/Filter relay and the 2-speed relay are both on.. What happens if you unplug the 2-speed relay from the main card? Doing this should force the pump to run in low speed. It would confirm that the pump and wiring for low speed is working, and that the problem is that something is turning on the 2-speed relay. Programming, malfunction, or whatever.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The filter pump relay powers the com load and the line side of 2speed relay hi/lo. Unlike a regular relay where it disconnects, it’s powering one load or the other. Usually low is default and high is triggered when relay is activated. 6A8661B7-BD7B-4AF0-B46F-99190B81342E.jpeg
So when Turning FP and 2speed relay on you should get 240v between high and com. With FP on and 2speed off you should get 240v between low and com.
With FP off you should get nothing.
AD9F8E91-EDE6-4317-BF04-4560FF2319C1.jpeg
There is also a delay and a d should appear next to aux on screen if active.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go in and un-assign all the circuits you set up as "High Speed"..

In theory the high speed relay should then not turn on.. Unless a circuit that is on has been input into one of the 4 possible High Speed circuits.

This will test if the board is working.

Did you by chance assign "Pool" to one of the High speed circuits, like it shows in the manual?

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

I do not know much about the SunTouch, but I doubt you can assign High speed and Low speed to the same circuit..

It makes no sense to me.. If you schedule the Pool Circuit, how would the pump know if it should run at high speed or low speed???

I could be easily wrong, but I read the manual as it gives you 4 places to store circuits, that when turned on, will cause the pump to run at high speed.

So, you don't really turn on "High Speed" you turn on one of the four circuits that are stored in the High Speed list..

As an example.. Let's say you want the 2-speed pump to run at high speed when you turn on the Cleaner Circuit. You stored "Cleaner" as one of the four High Speed Circuits.. Then when you turn on Cleaner, the main pump will automatically run at high speed.

As far as I can tell you don't turn on low speed, the pump just runs low speed unless the circuit has been assigned to the High Speed list.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited: