Struggling with Algae

Try a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test again. If it passes, then maybe you are just brushing plaster dust. Do you have a screen enclosure?
Never drops .5 overnight. Screen enclosure. Not plaster dust, it's yellowish/green and won't be there for weeks then shows up. It's on walls. It's minor but there every 2 - 3 weeks.

Reactions: HermanTX
Something about this post just seems to snag my attention.

Are you saying that when you use the 50ppm standard you would read the resultant solution as 20ppm based on the way you have been previously considering the dot obscured?

Then you advise that your pool CYA level should be a 30ppm result, down from 40ppm.

Now I may well have the wrong end of the stick but if I am reading correctly the logic doesn't follow to read the standard low and then revise your CYA level down.

More importantly if my first interpretation is correct and you see the 50ppm standard solution as a 20ppm result this means your prior 40ppm result could be a significantly higher CYA value (scale is logarithmic) and your target FC levels could be inadequate/below minimum...which would express itself as recurring algae.

I'm probably just missing your intent but maybe there is something there?
All along I have been treating this as 40ppm CYA and performing SLAM at 16 CL levels. So technically my SLAM was over and above what's defined here.

Every 2 - 3 weeks it's back. I'm 100% sure I've followed SLAM properly and maintained FC levels within the range for my CYA. I'm at a loss with this.

I'm really thinking this is mustard algae from what I've read but it's very little if it is...

All along I have been treating this as 40ppm CYA and performing SLAM at 16 CL levels. So technically my SLAM was over and above what's defined here.

Every 2 - 3 weeks it's back. I'm 100% sure I've followed SLAM properly and maintained FC levels within the range for my CYA. I'm at a loss with this.

I'm really thinking this is mustard algae from what I've read but it's very little if it is...
I think you have done the MA shock after your normal SLAM. However, another part is that pool toys, swimming suits should be throughly cleaned as well as they may be carrying the MA on them.
I have attached the full article for yours and others reference if they are having similar issues.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is the OP's pool being used regularly? Sometimes when water is left untouched, even with the pump running, the water may become stagnant.

Also, could you be reading your CYA test wrong and it is indeed too high?

I think you have done the MA shock after your normal SLAM. However, another part is that pool toys, swimming suits should be throughly cleaned as well as they may be carrying the MA on them.
I have attached the full article for yours and others reference if they are having similar issues.
Concerned about the level of shock for MA on a plaster pool that's not a year old... Should I be?

Is the OP's pool being used regularly? Sometimes when water is left untouched, even with the pump running, the water may become stagnant.

Also, could you be reading your CYA test wrong and it is indeed too high?
Used few times a week typically. Have compared CYA against 50ppm water from tftestkits and taken it to two different pool stores. It's 40. I haven't raised it because I don't want to deal with even higher levels of CL needed for shocking this every 2 - 3 weeks.

No FC drop overnight, water crystal clear, doing a MA 24 hour soak at 24ppm for 40 CYA. So far it's been 4 hours and it hasn't moved from 24ppm. After this I will continue to maintain FC levels at 6 - 7 for 40 CYA. I'm also brushing 3 - 4 times a day and there's nothing now. Somebody say a prayer :).

Reactions: KJB1 and HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No FC drop overnight, water crystal clear, doing a MA 24 hour soak at 24ppm for 40 CYA. So far it's been 4 hours and it hasn't moved from 24ppm. After this I will continue to maintain FC levels at 6 - 7 for 40 CYA. I'm also brushing 3 - 4 times a day and there's nothing now. Somebody say a prayer :).
We are all with you!!!!. You got this! Your ongoing target level is great. Probably best to run on the high side for a week or so - just to be sure. Good Luck

May want to Maintain MA minimum for a while to be sure you’re covered - most of us on #teamrunhot kinda do this anyway

Reactions: KJB1
May want to Maintain MA minimum for a while to be sure you’re covered - most of us on #teamrunhot kinda do this anyway
Looks like 6.1 for 40 so 6.5 is probably minimum. I'm not even sure I have MA but out of ideas...

Does the overnight drop apply for MA shock? I had no overnight drop with end of SLAM but my FC was 26 last night and 23 this morning in the MA 24 hours soak. Afraid to run these higher levels for longer than 24 hours on plater that is still curing...

Looks like 6.1 for 40 so 6.5 is probably minimum. I'm not even sure I have MA but out of ideas...

Does the overnight drop apply for MA shock? I had no overnight drop with end of SLAM but my FC was 26 last night and 23 this morning in the MA 24 hours soak. Afraid to run these higher levels for longer than 24 hours on plater that is still curing...
I would follow the chemgeek chart - so you hit MA shock of 60% of CYA and I would target 15% of CYA to hold for several days to ensure you stop any further growth.

I would disregard the overnight loss & just replenish ma shock level for the remainder of your 24hrs. Don’t forget to soak all your stuff as mentioned in the article.
At higher fc levels you get a higher fc drop rate & there’s more variance with so many drops involved so the oclt isn’t always a dependable marker at ma shock levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.