Straddling the BBB conversion...

Re: Clarification needed...

Have you passed the OCLT on previous testing?

If you have, then it is time to start investigating other causes of clouding.

Yes, Tim, repeatedly!

And that's EXACTLY why I posted the question in another category... hoping to understand the testing and the reasoning behind it. Finding out what other causes for the continued subtle hazing I should be investigating would have been a bonus.

Appreciatively yours,
Joan

Could someone explain to this frustrated pool owner exactly why repetitively passing OCLT tests with 0 or </= .5 CC levels don't necessarily negate the presence of algae and/or bacteria?

I've seen you asked this question a couple of times, and I did a significant amount of research last night trying to locate the answer to no avail. Most likely it falls in one of those not all tests are black and white, and all have their shades of gray category lol. So hopefully someone will come along who is able to elaborate more on it for us both. :)

I've seen you asked this question a couple of times, and I did a significant amount of research last night trying to locate the answer to no avail. Most likely it falls in one of those not all tests are black and white, and all have their shades of gray category lol. So hopefully someone will come along who is able to elaborate more on it for us both. :)

Yes, I've been doing that same research with the same "no answer." The post you're referring to was originally placed elsewhere for the explicit purpose of trying to capture additional eyes on the subject. That failed too. And so it is. ;-)

PS: Hope your visit today was a fruitful one.

Could someone explain to this frustrated pool owner exactly why repetitively passing OCLT tests with 0 or </= .5 CC levels don't necessarily negate the presence of algae and/or bacteria?
The way I understand it, lack of clarity can be attributed to other things too... calcium clouding, suspended metal in water, the possibility of excess lye from generic bleach still floating around and, no doubt, things I have yet to learn about.

Short answer here is yes, they COULD be attributed to these things......it COULD be caused by many different issues. The truth however is that almost always cloudy water is caused by improper water chemistry. Almost always this points to algae growing in the pool. That's one of the reasons we use this as an indicator for when you need to SLAM the pool. Now with that said, you're definitely in a different boat than the normal user somewhat just finishing the AA treatment. That does bring with it a handful of different "requirements" and challenges.

I see your test results in the post above......now let me ask you this question, when was the last OCLT you preformed? What were the results??

I see your test results in the post above......now let me ask you this question, when was the last OCLT you preformed? What were the results??

Good morning, Lee ~ And it really is because after more than 48 hours of continuous filtering and a healthy addition of HEDP based BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus (since I really had nothing to lose) last night, I have a sparkling clear pool this morning! The water is SO clear that I can actually differentiate the colors in the scattered and predictably placed "dusty" collections (sand, brown, and grey). And that's with the filter still running and slight breaks in water surface. Whether that clarity will hold after FC adjustment is yet to be seen but I have high hopes.

To answer your question though: This morning. Please bear in mind, I've been running OCLT tests every evening/morning since the subtle haze swallowed the sparkle ten days after the last AA treatment with the hopes of avoiding another SLAM. I had the reagents and ordered more just to be on the safe side, so it wasn't a loss to me.

pH 7.2 - 7.5 (the usual slow creep)
TA 80 (a slight dip, probably due to yesterday's pH reduction with dry acid)
FC 6 (unchanged)
CC 0

Do I trust that? I'm not so sure since I don't really understand what caused the haze in the first place and now I'm learning OCLT results are not necessarily bullet proof. That stated, I do trust my TF100 test kit/Pool Math to advise me of appropriate chemical corrections and will always rely on them.

What I am thinking is that the haze was the result of a combination of things... remnants of suspended ascorbic acid, suspended calcium, suspended copper (I still have a reading of .15 from my new Taylor test kit), even possibly suspended excess lye from the generic bleach. I'm no scientist and there's no way to capture and test what's in that multi-colored "dust" but my DE/cellulose fiber-free Dryden Aqua glass filter media has obviously finally cleared that water and dropped the debris for vacuuming. It just took its sweet time and about every ounce of patience I had left.

Doing the happy dance here!

- - - Updated - - -

Could the dry acid be contributing? I've seen it mentioned it adds more of something to the water when used . (Not enough coffee yet to remember what that is, lol.)

I have no idea. But I do know from MY experience, it does slightly reduce TA.

As long as that product doesn't have an expiration date somewhere on it (haven't found one), I'll just keep it in the pantry or share it with some other frustrated pool owner when the subject rises. ;-) Will let you know how it goes.

Hi Chief ~ Looks like I can return that 3 lbs. of cellulose fiber to Leslie's and order a much smaller bag from Amazon now. ;-)

The pool has finally "found her sparkle" (see post to Leebo for details if interested). But I still like the idea of cellulose fiber as an aid when pollen season/dust storms visit in Spring. Thanks so much for the earth friendly suggestion!

Hello Joan,

I'm so glad to hear your pool has once again "found her sparkle." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to sparkle brightly from here on out. The last time she cleared and "found her sparkle" after the initial haze began 10 days after the AA treatment was 2 days after you did your weekly sequestrate treatment, then the storm reeked havoc, and again you became hazy.

It sounds like things are again heading in the right direction. Keep up the great job, and keep us posted.
I'm also doing the Happy dance with you, and rooting for your pool to remain haze free. :whoot: :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:whoot::sunny: WONDERFUL! So glad it turned back into the jewel it should be! What a ride!

Kind of like one of these...
s33fo3.jpg
... but SO worth it! ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.