Stenner Pump Install

Aug 3, 2015
Simi Valley, CA
So my PB installed a Nature 2 system and of course it has not ever worked as planned. I now use chlorine only but would like to automate the system. I am going to purchase a Stenner pump but I am nervous about drilling into the pool line to put the tap in. So I have two questions:

1. Should I just do the tap and if so does anyone have experience and instructions on how to do it?
  2. If I do not do the tap I am thinking of taking out the Nature 2 system completely and then create a coupling setup with the tap already installed. Any thoughts on this approach?
Just really nervous to start messing with the plumbing but I am pretty handy and do not think I need a plumber. Your thoughts and experiences are more than needed right now!

Bing,

You want the output of the Stenner to be the last thing before the water goes back to the pool...

If your Nature 2 "tap" is in that location, then I agree that removing the Nature 2 altogether makes the most sense...

We have several members who have installed Stenner pumps.. let's see if we can get one of them to chime in...

Thanks,

Jim R.

As Jim said, if the nature² is after the filter removing it would be a viable option. However, drilling and taping the plumbing is extremely easy. Just be careful and only run the tap about half way into the pipe or fitting.

The best thing to do if you've never tapped PVC pipe before is to take a scrape piece and practice on it. You'll see how easy it is once you try it.

If you can get to the pipe, and have the room, you can do as I did...

The threaded reducer cap fit perfectly, and I didn't have to tap at all. Not that I would have minded tapping, I am the machinist at the mechanics shop that I work at, and have LOTS of practise at tapping!

kxDtEHb.jpg

The PVC is easy to deal with and I did as mentioned - bought a 2' piece of PVC the tap and did a test - was super easy and worked like a charm - at the end of the day I did not end up tapping though. I also have a Nature 2 device and what I found is that the injector from the stenner pump with screw directly in to the drain plug of the Nature 2. I took the oring off of the drain plug and put it on the injector - and used the smaller 1/4 inch threads vs the larger 1/2 in threads that I had planned on using.

This was a perfect and easy solution - but I'll give the warning that others gave to me - injecting liquid chlorine into the Nature 2 where you could still have pucks - is NOT a good idea. The two chlorines won't mix well and should never be used at the same time. Since no one else touches my pool - I'm OK with it for now. I might make a modification later if needed if I were to sell or something like that. I've posted a thread on my install. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/136912-Stenner-install-Pentair-ET8

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.