Starting Over-New Water

Okay, let's fix your pool.

10 gallons of bleach would have been about a 40 ppm dose and possibly could've turned your liner white. Test and dose carefully and understand the outcome.

Now, I will be very blunt but it is to help you understand what you need to do. It doesn't sound like you have grasped the overall concept.

You must bring your FC back up to 15 ppm each time you test and CONTINUE TO DO SO until your FC loses less than 1 ppm overnight. Simply put, you have not been doing that and you are only prolonging your situation. Several people have referred you to the shock process but you have not been following it. Giving up because your FC drops more than you want it to is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Test and replenish to 15 ppm. Test and replenish to 15 ppm. Test and replenish to 15 ppm.

At some point the chlorine will begin to hold better and better in your pool and your dosages will get smaller and smaller. Until that time, you must continue this process regardless of how much chlorine it takes.

You must control your dosages in a uniform manner so you don't damage your pool.

Don't get sidetracked with peripheral issues and don't lose focus of what this process is all about.....Test and replenish to 15 ppm.

I know it's been said before but I'd like to second the idea that it won't hurt to replenish FC up to mustard shock level being as it's getting consumed rather quickly. At least it would actually stay above shock level a little longer. This sure does sound like an ammonia issue to me as well.

If your losing 7ppm per hour your FC is getting below shock level and possibly regrowing whatever is in your pool. I would add 3-4ppm (1 jug of 8.25%) per half hour and test hourly. You've got to stay ahead of it. The more you stay at shock level the faster the process can work. This one sounds like a doozy. Your recycling guy is going to hate you. Good luck.

I finished the Shock process at midnight last night (FC 18, CC 1.0) Guess what: QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS!! Checked this morning FC 3, CC 0.5; so I just add enough bleach daily to push it back to 5 or 6? Should I let it fall below 3, do I need to shock it again? Would it be advantageous to add some stablizer now that I've shocked it?What about algaecide, should I need to add it while the pool is between 3 and 5?

If you lost 15ppm of FC overnight you are not done with the shock process. The fact that you only had CC of 1 shows that you are making progress. I still think you have a ways to go. You are not finished until you pass OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test), have .5 CC, and have clear water.

I am sure you are getting frustrated but you will get there eventually and then it's a piece of cake to keep it there.

Sounds like you are getting there, but as Bluechip said, you have not finished the shocking process. There are three criteria in the shocking process that you must pass simultaneously:

Repeat steps 3 and 4 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:

1.CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.
So until you pass all three, keep your FC up at 15 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in my 4th day of the shock process. Since its taking so long, I did as someone on this forum suggested and tested for ammonia. It was approximately 1 ppm. Is there anything that anyone can recommend for bringing the ammonia level down in addition to bleach?

Larry65 said:
It was approximately 1 ppm.
If it is that low, then if you had it, it is almost gone. Just keep adding bleach (usually takes 10 ppm bleach to remove each ppm of ammonia). Even after the ammonia is gone you still want to pass all three "end of shocking"criteria before lowering your FC level.

Thanks, I didn't think that was much of a problem. Here's where I am: Last night when I stopped checking (11:25) my FC had dropped to8.5; I added a couple of gallons of bleach; this morning it was well over 20; (6:20AM), it dropped to 8 by 11:25 and I added bleach (a little more than PC rec'd) throughout the day. I checked pH and it needed some baking soda. At 3:15 (FC 12), added 1 gal bleach; at 4:30 FC 15.5 and CC was .5, will check later on tonight and, hopefully FC won't drop much. If it doesn't drop more than 1.0, am I finished with the shock process? I would meet all three criteria, but will continue to test daily.

Again, thanks!!!

Larry65 said:
I checked pH and it needed some baking soda.
Don't adjust ph when FC is over 10 ppm, the ph test is not accurate. With that said, if you are saying you adjusted ph up, then baking soda will do very little. We recommend using Borax preferably, or soda ash to raise ph.

Larry65 said:
If it doesn't drop more than 1.0, am I finished with the shock process?
Make sure you do a good Overnight Chlorine loss test: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test Make sure the sun is of the pool and your pool has been circulating at least an hour since the last chlorine addition for the night test. For the morning test, make sure you test before the sun hits the pool.

My first post here ends up being advise....

Larry, I read each one of the posts here, and your CC has dropped big time which is exactly what you wanted. Keep telling Walmart that your underwear is stained more than they can envision and buy all of there bleach as soon as it gets restocked. Buy a bunch of canned chili at the same time and they will understand. The FC levels you have posted here have not been at shock level yet, you need to add more. You probably get up to shock level as soon as you pour all the bleach in that the PC tells you to, but the CC eats it up before you measure. That's fine, you are probably a day or two away from being up to par, just keep dumping in the bleach, the shock process will end soon. Then your mind will be at ease, and you can start dreaming about borax and salt.

I am still working on the shock process. Day before yesterday at last nightly reading CC was .5 and FC was 18.5. It dropped to 8 yesterday AM before sunrise. I added 3 gals bleach yesterday at 6 readings throughout the day accd'g to Pool Calculator. FC rdg was 18.5 at last nightly reading last night (8pm) and was down to 10 this morning. I know I'm getting there, but I was wondering why the FC level was dropping although the CC level has remained constant at .5 for the last three days?

I have had shocking sessions last a week our two without seeing any CC's out isn't very clear to med why it happens that sometimes you see higher CC's and other times you don't.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.