Starting Over-New Water

What you saw was not uncommon, the organics you are fighting are being converted to CC which will need more chlorine (and sun) to be removed. If you want, you can stop testing for CC for now and start again later once your FC is staying higher longer. Keep at the hourly doses and at some point your CC level will start to lower.

Sorry Hit Wrong Key
4th Dose since 530 PM
Test Results:
530 FC 7.0 CC 4.5 added 364oz 8.25% bleach
630 FC 7.0, CC 4.5, added 261 oz bleach,
730 FC 7.5 (added 244 oz bleach),
830- FC 2.5, CC 8.0, FC keeps going down, CC seems to go up.

I'm going to add one more dose before I go to bed (407 oz or what I have left).....You can easily see how I am getting frustrated with all this bleach I'm adding. I don't seem to be getting any results. When I finish tonight, I'll have added 12 gallons of bleach to my pool.

The first forum I saw on swamp clearing was a pool that was green as a gourd. I've never let my pool get green except the first year and the guy who built the pool told me to dump 10 gals of Purex in and that solved the problem. My pool is crystal clear, as I said before, I can tell if a dime is heads or tails. But last year, it stayed cloudy and from this forum, I concluded it was high CYA. It was too late to drain the pool last year, so I did it this year on opening the pool. The water was pretty clear, but I drained 75% of it anyway and replaced it with water from my well. I started out with 6 gallons of bleach and the has been clear since I opened it June 4th or 5th. From my records, I have dumped 25gallons of bleach (8.25%) between 6/4 and today. Today, I will have put another 12 gallons in and the test results keep going in the opposite direction of what I want them to be. The guy who put this pool in 22 years ago told me 6 gals. once a week, backwash & filter, and you'll have no problem. But never did I put as much bleach in as I have done this year. I keep hammering the bleach to the pool and you see the results!

Larry65 said:
Sorry Hit Wrong Key
4th Dose since 530 PM
Test Results:
530 FC 7.0 CC 4.5 added 364oz 8.25% bleach
630 FC 7.0, CC 4.5, added 261 oz bleach,
730 FC 7.5 (added 244 oz bleach),
830- FC 2.5, CC 8.0, FC keeps going down, CC seems to go up.

I'm going to add one more dose before I go to bed (407 oz or what I have left).....You can easily see how I am getting frustrated with all this bleach I'm adding. I don't seem to be getting any results. When I finish tonight, I'll have added 12 gallons of bleach to my pool.
Larry, it takes a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine to overcome the CC's. You are doing great. I suggest that you keep adding bleach/liquid chlorine to get back up to shock level. Don't bother testing for CC until the FC starts holding. Keep it at shock level!

I'm giving it up for the night. Just went out & tested. FC level is down to 1.0 from initial reading of 3.5(which went as high as 7.5 after two doses. Then it fell to 2.5 and the latest reading is 1.0. I've put 11.3 gallons of 8.25% bleach into this pool in 3 hours. I'm afraid to add any more since I'm getting nowhere with the process. I'm tired and am going to bed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are not going nowhere. This will sound funny but the fact that your chlorine is disappearing so fast means it is being effective at ridding your pool of the organic you are fighting. If you want to, you could pick up an ammonia test (many pet stores do them and sell them) and see if you are fighting ammonia. But even if it is ammonia, the solution is chlorine and lots of it.

Just test FC (.5) and CC (2.0) this morning after adding 11.3 gals 8.25 bleach last night. Looks like the CC might be going down. Is this the direction I need to be going? Since my FC was 1.0 at 10PM last night and .5 at 7:30 the next morning, I'm losing less than .5 ppm of Fc overnight, but, as of this date I've only been able to get FC, at its highest, to7.5. This was after adding 2nd dose last night, then FC dropped to 2.5 next hour and 1.0 last reading. Accd'g to TFP advice, CC is 2 (should be less than .5 ppm--down from 6.0 last night, I lost only .5 FC (albeit from 1.0 to .5) overnight, and pool is crystal clear. Where do I go from here?

Why not just dump 8-10 more gallons of bleach into pool?
Is there any chance of all this bleach "locking" up poo?
Again, what is OCLT test; I have performed TFP search and can't find the information through the several forums posted.

Larry65 said:
Is there any chance of all this bleach "locking" up poo?
Again, what is OCLT test; I have performed TFP search and can't find the information through the several forums posted.
8-10 gallons is fine, if that's how much it takes to maintain shock level. That's what I meant by keep it up.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

[center:3uk9bhuh]
file.php
[/center:3uk9bhuh]

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Do you know how much that will raise your FC? I don't, either. If it's okay to "dump in" 8-10, why not 20-30?....or why not 2 gallons?

BBB is all about precise measurements and testing and understanding the outcome.

Chlorine lock is a total myth and if you learned that at a pool store, stay out of there.

It also sounds like you are trying to "blend" the advice we suggest with that from others.....that won't work.

Make the commitment to shock your Pool correctly.

Chlorine is consumed by only two things....sunlight and organics in your pool. Until you kill off the organics, you will continue to consume a lot of chlorine. There really is no alternative.

The only advice I have received is from the TFP Website; I don't mean to sound rude, but the question about adding 8-10 gallons at one time was due to the fact that I added 13 gallons in 3 hrs. after testing and using Pool Calculator to determine amt of bleach to add to get to 15. FC during these 4 hrs (tested last before going to bed) went from 3.5 to 7.0 to 7.5 then dropped to 2.5 then to 1.0. This mornings test showed .5. CC also varied—from 4.5 to 5.5 to8.0 to 6.0 and 2.0 this morning. One post stated only chlorine and sunlight will burn off CC.

Again, not to sound rude, I am committed to this program having contributed $30 last year and purchasing the test kit. However, some of the replies to my inquiries seem to come out of left field--”check out swamp cleaning”--after I've stated that my pool is crystal clear, which I attribute to TFP and all the bleach I've added. I do appreciate the advice, but it often seems I'm getting it from different people who haven't read the entire thread—just the last question I posed.

I didn't mean to be facetious by asking about dumping 8-10 gallons in at one time, however, the post immediately above yours stated, “8-10 gallons is fine, if that's how much it takes to maintain shock level.” Then you, seem to chide me for that question—why not 20-30? This is confusing to me as I try to make this work.

I do appreciate the input, but as I hope you can see, it sometimes gets confusing. At this point, I'm committed to spending $400-500 on bleach in the near future or until my liner turns white and I have to drain the pool and start over.

Asking if x gallons is ok is a little like asking how much concrete do I need for my driveway without knowing the dimensions, no one can answer.

As you shock, measure and check again until you reach the shock level. Check again every few hours... Repeat until you pass the criteria to stop.

Does this take 8-10, or 20 gallons - I have no way to predict - all pools are different.

Sent via Tapatalk...

There are reasons not to go too high in FC, like damage to liners, etc. For example, 8-10 gallons would raise your FC (from whatever it is) by about 40ppm.

We try to promote a measured approach to removing organics on tfp. This means that we attempt to be intentional about all chemical additions. In your case, since you are dealing with something that is being converted into significant amounts of CC you could go a bit higher with each FC dose until your FC starts remaining higher longer. I would not dose any higher than the mustard level for your cya level (still around 40 ppm cya?) which would be 24 ppm. The best approach for you is testing as often as possible (as short as hourly) especially when the sun is off the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.