Starting a new pool "Construction has started, Bicarb startup help”

Plumber came out Wednesday after excavation and mapped out plumbing location and pad lay out. He wants to put pumps on pool end of pad, then filter and heater. All piping from pool and SPA at end of pad and not off to long side of the pad as I see most layouts. Is this going to create issues for me in the future?

Attachments

• EQPad.png
    EQPad.png
    9 KB · Views: 12
I’m not saying that the plumber is wrong in wanting to align the equipment in this particular order, pumps, filter then the heater is the typical order of equipment, it’s wanting to to have the manifold on the short side of the equipment pad, this may have the pipes in a tight fit.

Reactions: AZRider
Plumbers finished rough plumbing and setup equipment pad, they will be back after rebar to do SPA Therapies and pressure test. Does anything jump out as an issue?IMG_1087.jpgIMG_1086.jpgIMG_1085.jpgIMG_1089.jpgIMG_1088.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pentair pump installation manual says “valves, elbows, or tees in the suction line shall be no less than 5 times the suction pipe diameter from the pump inlet”. So if 2.5” diameter, should have 12.5” straight pipe in front of inlet.IMG_1237.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things to consider,
Pipe directly behind the main pump may make it difficult to replace the motor in the future.
A brace between the inlet and outlet of the filter to give support to the long run of the top pipe.
An extension pipe for ease of draining the water in the lowest point of the filter.
If the pipe with the gauge installed is an air line for the spa, have two 90 fittings installed after the gauge is removed and left open on the end for maximum efficiency.
ID decals placed on the plumbing pipes for future reference of their purpose.IMG_5481.jpegIMG_5482.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Pentair pump installation manual says “valves, elbows, or tees in the suction line shall be no less than 5 times the suction pipe diameter from the pump inlet”. So if 2.5” diameter, should have 12.5” straight pipe in front of inlet.View attachment 560341
Thanks, I measured them, the filtration pump is 11 1/2” and the SPA pump is 13”. Both are close but should have been a bit longer. Surprises me that they do not know this considering they do it for a living.

A few things to consider,
Pipe directly behind the main pump may make it difficult to replace the motor in the future.
I checked clearance there should be enough space to slide pump back from coupler to replace pump. Hopefully that will be years away.

If the pipe with the gauge installed is an air line for the spa, have two 90 fittings installed after the gauge is removed and left open on the end for maximum efficiency.
There will be a SPA blower on the pipe.
ID decals placed on the plumbing pipes for future reference of their purpose.View attachment 560361
I know most of the ID’s. Filtration Pump suction closest is SPA filtration, the next 3 are skimmer, main drain and vacuum port. Which of those 3 would you not place a valve on? Thanks for the tips and feedback!

Last edited:
Check for any loose dirt that may have fallen from the walls to the floor that would not allow for the proper 3” thickness from the rebar to the floor/walls.
Any overlap bars need to be a minimum of 12”.
The plumbing/lighting pipes need to be secured so the Shotcrete process will not move them.
From the picture provided unable to see if the spillway from the spa to the pool is properly bent for the correct size.
Can you provide a picture of the skimmer cut out with the cage around it?

From the picture provided unable to see if the spillway from the spa to the pool is properly bent for the correct size.
Can you provide a picture of the skimmer cut out with the cage around it?
There is a step in corner of SPA but no rebar. Is the supposed to be steel in corner? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
The picture of the skimmer shows 2 plumbing pipes in the background very near the rebar, plumbing pipes that travel in and out of the Shotcrete shell (like in the picture) may be cause for concern from a movement standpoint. The shotcrete has the least likely chance to move but the plumbing surrounded by dirt may and keeping them separate from each other as much as possible is best. The cage itself looks good around the skimmer.

A note for the future, when the peg board is removed after Shotcrete (on the raised bond beam) make sure that the outer surface is finished the same as the inside of the shell, so it will need to be removed shortly after being shot with material.

Steps inside the spa shell of the pool typically do not have rebar due to the fact that they are not part of the integrity of the shell, but inside the outer shell. This does not hold true for seats in the deep end of the pool , they need the rebar for the Shotcrete to hold on to and not have the large seat collapse from its own weight.

The picture of the skimmer shows 2 plumbing pipes in the background very near the rebar, plumbing pipes that travel in and out of the Shotcrete shell (like in the picture) may be cause for concern from a movement standpoint. The shotcrete has the least likely chance to move but the plumbing surrounded by dirt may and keeping them separate from each other as much as possible is best.
Thanks for the feedback so far. I’m not sure which pipes you are referring to. I added the full photo to help me understand.

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    783 KB · Views: 12
The yellow line represents what will most likely be the outline of the Shotcrete to encapsulate the skimmer.
The red lines represent the pipes of concern, when the pipes are plumbed without being fully supported by dirt in a trench it can be difficult to achieve the proper compaction underneath them with the same support as having them incased in Shotcrete.IMG_5487.jpeg

Reactions: kimkats
I noticed something else with the rebar installation. While I was bending the ties down I noticed some bars touching bond beam forms. Is this an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpeg
    IMG_1096.jpeg
    718.5 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support