Starting a new pool "Construction has started, Bicarb startup help”

I am not familiar with leaving the rebar that close to the pool forms. Standard distance is a minimum of 3”.
It is close at that spot on Baja shelf, the vertical tails are touch form boards the horizontals are back 3”. Rest of pool appears all 3”. Should I trim the tails back so they do not touch forms.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 15
The rough electric and plumbing are finished, have inspection scheduled for tomorrow. I have a couple questions about pipe and microbrite placement on Baja Shelf. Are they at correct elevation? Also, Is it normal for the air line to be above rebar at spillover?

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpeg
    IMG_1099.jpeg
    851.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    991.6 KB · Views: 19
It’s hard to tell from a picture regarding the light elevation. Look at the two pictures provided before/after and take measurements of your application to see if they are correct.

I have not seen that type of application before with the plumbing on top of the rebar, this would make the spillway elevation very hard to achieve and also make the spillway weak due to inadequate Shotcrete thickness in that area. Contact the plumber for an explanation of this application.IMG_5492.pngIMG_5493.png

Minimum coverage of the rebar cage is 3””, that leaves 1/2” coverage for plaster and would put the light location directly on top of the plaster.
The picture I provided shows 1” of vertical distance between the bottom of the light and the top of the plaster surface.
The picture you provided that’s in question is of a reef step, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shotcrete tomorrow morning. We had a big storm come through Sunday night Monday morning had 6 inches of water in deep end but it was gone by this morning. I protected skimmer cutout but water came through water leveler ditch and eroded the side of the pool excavation. Is this an issue I need to worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    865.9 KB · Views: 19
Shotcrete is done. I have been watering every couple hrs. It is very thirsty! Had a hiccup with the SPA. Crew failed to follow the plans and built the step too high and square instead of the 45 angle on plans. One of the crew came back with hammer and chisel and spent 3 hrs correcting the mistake. Question, how long should I leave bond beam forms in place?

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 27
Forms can be removed at any time.
Shotcrete needs to be Saturated Surface Dry for the first seven days minimum, this has a direct impact on the strength and its permeability, it cannot be over watered, this process keeps the temperature down and that is what slows the process of curing.

Last edited:
SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: AZRider
Question, how long should I leave bond beam forms in place?
Not sure if right, wrong, or doesn’t matter, but I removed the forms myself the day after shotcrete. It was a chore. Some of the forms and rebar were very difficult, others were easy. I bought a 4’ prybar and got a clevis with an eyelet to get the rebar up. Some of the rebar used as stakes for the forms was encased in Shotcrete I tried to pull but to no avail, my coping contractor used a small hand circular saw to cut off as low as possible. I didn’t ask, but I expect my coping contractor would have done as part of their scope. I just wanted it done.

Reactions: kimkats and AZRider
I was in pool watering this morning and noticed exposed rebar at Skimmer Venturi outlet. Will this be filled by plaster crew?

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    786.6 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support