Start up

Jfiravich

Dec 10, 2023
Hutto tx
I will be getting my new Artesian Wisteria any time now, I am attempting to familiarize myself with maintaining a hot tub. I see a lot of people suggesting to do an Ahh-some purge at initial start up? Also saw that to do the purge that you should have adequate sanitizer levels, do I have to fill, balance, then purge and drain, or just fill, purge, and then drain?
Thank you

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Definitely do the Ahh-Some purge. You'll be amazed how much gunk and slime is released from products coating the lines from the factory. Do that first, then refill and balance. The link below should help. @Mdragger88 can also help walk you though some areas if you still need help. Enjoy!

You can just fill & get ph in the 7’s & add a starting dose of liquid chlorine (around 3-5ppm) mainly because you’ll be putting your hands in it with who knows what gunk.
Its much nicer if the tub is warm but not absolutely necessary. No need to worry with adjusting ta, cya, salt, nor ch or borates (optional anyway) as you’ll be dumping it.
You’ll need to test ta to use
PoolMath & calculate the correct amount of acid if a ph reduction is needed.
**If you don’t already have one get one of the recommended test kits ordered asap**
Test Kits Compared
So you start out on the right foot.
While you’re waiting you can fill out your signature with all your tub’s details (type, volume, any equipment (ozone, uv, swcg) & your exact kit so if you’ve got questions we can give you appropriate answers.
You can also go ahead & download the poolmath app & sign in with your tfp account & get it all set up.
PoolMath.
If you get the subscription ($8/yr?) it allows for keeping unlimited logs and you can link them to your profile so we can see them (very helpful for anyone answering questions).
If you have the free version it just keeps your most recent log.
You can click my avatar pic & see mine.
If you have anymore questions just ask😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.