Stain & Scale and other non-TFP-protocol chemicals

SpaWife

Silver Supporter
Nov 9, 2022
CA
Pool Size
I'm switching from PoolStore to DIY to finally TFP... and am wondering which chemicals I should toss (defoamers? - I bought 3 different brands, and none worked for me!), use up, or keep. Spa Store sold me on the need for using Stain & Scale and Cleanse (by Natural Chemistry) weekly. I don't see these 2 mentioned at all in TFP protocol. Should I toss them? Keep them in case a need arises?

I have well water, BTW. I use an RV filter when filling or topping off with water.

I have a link for you. It is older but still spot on!

Here is a link to the chemicals we might use in our pools or spas. You do NOT have to go buy all of them. Only buy/use what your spa needs:

I will also tell you about awww-some which is a pipe cleaner that ALL spas have used on them before they are ever filled for the first time. This link talks about how well it works:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Are you currently having foaming problems?
Have you ever noticed a metals problem in your spa or in your home? (Iron stains in the toilet/tub)
Can you post your latest test results
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya

Annnnnnd, the ones we don't recommend...

Thank you! The only one on there that I have used is Clarifier (which I've not needed since I ditched the Frog and began testing on my own).

Unless Phosphate Remover is a metal sequestrant? When I was having all sorts of green & cloudy problems, the spa store learned I have well water and they suggested Phosphate Remover. So I have used that every couple of weeks, and my primary problem with green & cloudy water has gone away.

I have a link for you. It is older but still spot on!

Here is a link to the chemicals we might use in our pools or spas. You do NOT have to go buy all of them. Only buy/use what your spa needs:

I will also tell you about awww-some which is a pipe cleaner that ALL spas have used on them before they are ever filled for the first time. This link talks about how well it works:
Thank you. I have read those links, but appreciate the reminders! I've been using Ahh-some after every purge since I bought the hot tub - it works great!

Reactions: kimkats
Are you currently having foaming problems?
Have you ever noticed a metals problem in your spa or in your home? (Iron stains in the toilet/tub)
Can you post your latest test results
I haven't really had foam since ditching the Frog. I'm light on the detergent when I do use it on swimsuits, and we're light on the toiletries too.

I don't know what metals problems look like in the spa (besides what my spa store told me, which I stated above). In my home, at the water line in the toilet we get a brown ring that doesn't go away with cleaning/scrubbing. Could that be iron stains? We have well water. We do get massive build-up from hard water, such that our sink valves get stuck and we have to replace them.

I went & tested it just for you. :cool:
7 FC
.5 CC
7.6 pH
70 TA
160 CH
I'm new to testing CYA. 40 I can decently clearly see the dot. 30 I can see the dot but it's extremely hazy. I filled my comparator all the way to the top (past 30) and could still kinda almost see the dot. So do you call that 30? I just bought liquid chlorine today (dated July 5, 2023 according to the Julian dating code), so I have it on hand once it's deemed it's time to switch from dichlor.

I purged, drained, & refilled on July 20th. Right before doing that, I found this website and learned about CYA - my CYA was so high it couldn't even register in the comparator with it dilluted in half, so I knew that was my sign to start over. And now I'm on the TFP protocol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
  • Love
I would call the cya 30 for chlorination purposes.
You can try to calculate how much dichlor you have used &
PoolMath effects of adding in the hamburger menu will show you how much cya that added.
Its almost 1:1 with fc.
You can switch to liquid chlorine now.
About 30/40ppm cya is enough. Don’t really wanna go higher as it makes it hard to follow FC/CYA Levels.
With your ch you shouldn’t have a problem with foaming.
I always extra rinse the suits too & no fabric softener.
Those stains do sound like iron so you do probably need a sequestrant but you don’t need a phosphate remover. There are some good ones recommended here
👇

Btw- Try some barkeepers friend in the toilet- plunge most of the water down , get it good & coated & let it sit a while before scrubbing. 😊

I would call the cya 30 for chlorination purposes.
You can try to calculate how much dichlor you have used &
PoolMath effects of adding in the hamburger menu will show you how much cya that added.
Its almost 1:1 with fc.
You can switch to liquid chlorine now.
About 30/40ppm cya is enough. Don’t really wanna go higher as it makes it hard to follow FC/CYA Levels.
With your ch you shouldn’t have a problem with foaming.
I always extra rinse the suits too & no fabric softener.
Those stains do sound like iron so you do probably need a sequestrant but you don’t need a phosphate remover. There are some good ones recommended here
👇

Btw- Try some barkeepers friend in the toilet- plunge most of the water down , get it good & coated & let it sit a while before scrubbing. 😊
Okay, I'll stop with the dichlor and just use bleach now. Now I *really* have to figure out the Effects of Adding! I have no clue how much liquid chlorine (10%) I'm supposed to put in. I assume the app will tell me.

From my log book, I've added (in total) 9 tablespoons of dichlor and 6 tablespoons of non-chlorine shock (MPS) since purging/draining/refilling this hot tub on July 20th.

Thanks for the tip on the toilets - I'll try that!

Okay, I'll stop with the dichlor and just use bleach now. Now I *really* have to figure out the Effects of Adding! I have no clue how much liquid chlorine (10%) I'm supposed to put in. I assume the app will tell me.

From my log book, I've added (in total) 9 tablespoons of dichlor and 6 tablespoons of non-chlorine shock (MPS) since purging/draining/refilling this hot tub on July 20th.

Thanks for the tip on the toilets - I'll try that!
Yes- poolmath will tell you 👍🏻
IMG_7086.jpegIMG_7087.png
If you get the poolmath subscription you can keep multiple logs. Otherwise it just keeps your last one.
No real need for mps - its a known irritant, it shows as cc’s on the test without the special interference reagent, & it’s only an oxidizer anyway. Chlorine is both an oxidizer and a sanitizer.
Keep fc above minimum at all times & you should be good to go!
FC/CYA Levels

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P.s. I know fluid ounces (by volume) is not the same as dry ounces (by weight) but the google calculator always works out for me anyway to convert to tsp/tbsp for things like dichlor

Yes- poolmath will tell you 👍🏻
View attachment 519345View attachment 519346
If you get the poolmath subscription you can keep multiple logs. Otherwise it just keeps your last one.
No real need for mps - its a known irritant, it shows as cc’s on the test without the special interference reagent, & it’s only an oxidizer anyway. Chlorine is both an oxidizer and a sanitizer.
Keep fc above minimum at all times & you should be good to go!
FC/CYA Levels
WOW!!!! Thank you for stepping me through that - I really appreciate it.

I've just experimented with the Effect of Adding, and it was so very helpful.

If you have a poolmath subscription & keep logs of all your tests & additions there is also a summary function that you can select specific dates & it will tell you how much of what you have added & its cumulative effect during that time.
IMG_7168.png

If you have a poolmath subscription & keep logs of all your tests & additions there is also a summary function that you can select specific dates & it will tell you how much of what you have added & its cumulative effect during that time.
View attachment 519863
That's fancy! Thank you. I signed up for the deluxe version of the app, so I will have to explore that part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.