Stabilizer CYA or not

jimmy747

Jul 19, 2023
San Diego
Hello everyone, My 40,000 gallons pool has fresh added water with salt at 3200, chlorine at 4 and PH near 7.2 Water seems perfect. I am investigating the idea to add CYA but I am not convinced it is a good idea. Yes the sun evaporates the chlorine rapidely, but why should I be concerned by that? The TCELL makes free chlorine. Maybe with CYA I could produce less chlorine, like running the Aquarite at 60% instead of 75% and make the cell last a little longer? I would love to hear your thoughts on that. Thank you! Jimmy.

What is your daily FC loss?

How long and at what percentage are you running your SWG?

Have you ever added CYA to the pool?

How are you testing your pool water?

If you wouldn't mind, please share a full set of test results.

You can determine daily FC loss through testing with a proper test kit.

Assuming your TCELL-15 is producing 1.47 lbs. of chlorine gas per day, your SWG is adding 1.1 ppm of FC daily. That's very low for an outdoor/uncovered pool in So. Cal. For reference, my pool uses between 3-4 ppm daily this time of year.

I assume someone (maybe the pool builder) added CYA (chlorine stabilizer) to the pool at some point. Even low levels of FC with NO CYA can very harsh. FC and stabilizer levels should be maintained at levels you can find here: FC/CYA Levels.

TFP guidance is based on results from TFP Recommended test kits (Test Kits Compared). Without proper test results, it's nearly impossible to provide helpful guidance. Take a look at some of the links Marty provided for assistance.

Best wishes!

You can determine daily FC loss through testing with a proper test kit.

Assuming your TCELL-15 is producing 1.47 lbs. of chlorine gas per day, your SWG is adding 1.1 ppm of FC daily. That's very low for an outdoor/uncovered pool in So. Cal. For reference, my pool uses between 3-4 ppm daily this time of year.

I assume someone (maybe the pool builder) added CYA (chlorine stabilizer) to the pool at some point. Even low levels of FC with NO CYA can very harsh. FC and stabilizer levels should be maintained at levels you can find here: FC/CYA Levels.

TFP guidance is based on results from TFP Recommended test kits (Test Kits Compared). Without proper test results, it's nearly impossible to provide helpful guidance. Take a look at some of the links Marty provided for assistance.

Best wishes!
Thank you Rancho Cost-a-Lotta, we know there is no CYA at all because the owner empty the pool and refilled last month. Overkill in my opinion. Then I showed up. It was in bad shape. i.e. salt 1600, chlorinator on at super chlorinate although we all know chlorine does not get generate if salt not between 2700 and 3500 ppm. After opening the filter it appears it was never backkflushed since the valve was broken. So we fixed and the filtration system, reloaded with DE. So. the owner took over maintenance. I agree that 1.1ppm of chlorine per day is very low but i am curious how come we measure between 3 and 6 ppm of chlorine every day. So I will not post anything anymore until we buy a better test kit and have all the numbers. thank you.

Please don't get the wrong idea. I didn't intend to dissuade you from posting. It's just difficult to provide accurate information without reliable test results. As always, your friends at TFP are always around to help.

Please don't get the wrong idea. I didn't intend to dissuade you from posting. It's just difficult to provide accurate information without reliable test results. As always, your friends at TFP are always around to help.
thank you for your message. I appreciate it. But I do understand that words like clear water, normal, don't help. To do a good job i learned that we need the facts, numbers, and patience! All good. Thanks again.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
thank you for your message. I appreciate it. But I do understand that words like clear water, normal, don't help. To do a good job i learned that we need the facts, numbers, and patience! All good. Thanks again.
Alright I got numbers! The obvious we need CYA but what should we address first? Thank you.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Knowing what I know now, if it were my pool, I would add 30 ppm of CYA using the sock method, bump up FC to 6 ppm using liquid chlorine, then set my SWG to generate 4 ppm of FC per day until my reliable and accurate test kit arrives from tftestkits.net. Get the TFProSalt with Smart Stir.

I'm not sure I'd go the full 30 CYA as we don't know how inaccurate the number is so maybe half and then wait otherwise overshoot= more chlorine for slam.
I don't necessarily disagree...
Thank you Rancho Cost-a-Lotta, we know there is no CYA at all because the owner empty the pool and refilled last month.
Have you ever added CYA to the pool? NO
I was relying on OP's confidence that no CYA was added in the month since new fill.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy747
the analyser machine at the pool store is accurate.

It's not and the operator is not.....you can count on it.

I hope you get one of the three kits we suggest. Our Advice is centered around the FAS/DPD test not contained in most all other kits.

Don't spin your wheels getting a kit that does not contain FAS/DPD

Reactions: jimmy747
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.