Sta rite gas heater (top) is loose

New pump Guy

Sep 20, 2023
SF, California
I'm trying to figure out how to secure the top of this heater to avoid moisture/debris to get inside. The top doesn't "click in" or fasten, it just kind of sits on top. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231107-154315.png
    Screenshot_20231107-154315.png
    683.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm trying to figure out how to secure the top of this heater to avoid moisture/debris to get inside. The top doesn't "click in" or fasten, it just kind of sits on top. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
The pagoda top is held in place with two "hair-pin" fasteners. The two halves need to be removed to access the small tabs that protrude below the top metal cover that is below the actual control panel. There are holes in some of them that accept the hair-pin. That keeps the top in place. A small piece of wire works if the hair-pins are missing. If the tabs with the holes are broken, the others can be drilled. Since the top is loose, you can see the tabs by lifting it.
Also, for the sake of the touchpad, get a new sun shield. That 1/4" screw in the center of the top will come out and the disk can be lifted. The new sun shield can be put in place and the disk replaced. Pentair number 42001-0008S.

The pagoda top is held in place with two "hair-pin" fasteners. The two halves need to be removed to access the small tabs that protrude below the top metal cover that is below the actual control panel. There are holes in some of them that accept the hair-pin. That keeps the top in place. A small piece of wire works if the hair-pins are missing. If the tabs with the holes are broken, the others can be drilled. Since the top is loose, you can see the tabs by lifting it.
Also, for the sake of the touchpad, get a new sun shield. That 1/4" screw in the center of the top will come out and the disk can be lifted. The new sun shield can be put in place and the disk replaced. Pentair number 42001-0008S.
Thank you, that membrane is brand new, the last one was actually damaged by the sun. The tinted cover broke, I need to order a new one. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.