Sta-rite 400k gas heater

New pump Guy

Sep 20, 2023
SF, California
So my heater is making a noise that sounds like rocks clunking around inside, it only does this briefly for a few seconds at a time. I called multiple pool techs who said the heater is operating correctly, one tech said it's calcium buildup and it needs to be ran more to clear it

Also,the heater goes from 65° to it's temp of 102° fairly quickly like 45 minutes or less, it does seem to cycle on and off as its reaching it's desired temperature, again both techs said that's normal. Any ideas on if there's a problem, or is this sounding correct? I appreciate you all, thanks

The filter is separate from the heater. What filter type do you have.

That level of rpm should be sufficient unless the filter is dirty or you have a very restrictive plumbing set up.

Your filter should be cleaned when the filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Are you interested in taking a more proactive approach to your pool care?

So my heater is making a noise that sounds like rocks clunking around inside, it only does this briefly for a few seconds at a time. I called multiple pool techs who said the heater is operating correctly, one tech said it's calcium buildup and it needs to be ran more to clear it

Also,the heater goes from 65° to it's temp of 102° fairly quickly like 45 minutes or less, it does seem to cycle on and off as its reaching it's desired temperature, again both techs said that's normal. Any ideas on if there's a problem, or is this sounding correct? I appreciate you all, thanks
No, that is not normal.
The rattling is from water boiling in the heater.

Clean your pool filter and check the thermal regulator in the heater.

Here's my equipment set up, I'm sorry I thought you meant filter inside the heater. I believe the pool service removed and clean the filter in the filter about 8/9months ago
Slow water, bad thermal regulator, broken internal bypass are the usual causes. On a heater that age I would guess the latter. It is best, if one is bad, to replace both. Also, you should get a new sun shield for the touch screen. This aftermarket one works well and is less expensive than replacing the touchpad itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mknaus please let me know what you have in mind, thanks
You need to see if your filter needs cleaning. Then check the other items mentioned by the other members.

As far as being more proactive, this forum is targeted to pool owners whom manage their own pool water chemistry maintenance and at least have a working knowledge of the pool equipment, with many doing the majority of repairs. Have a look through the site, the Wiki, etc. Lots of information.

I've definitely looked and continue to browse the forum regularly. I'm really new to pools and still trying to gain the confidence to tackle issues myself, though I haven't done the repairs myself this forum has led me to an issue I had with two acuators and helped me save time and money by chasing an unknown issue.

Thank you, I just had the membrane replaced so I definitely need the sun shade. I'm looking for the internal bypass but I can't find the part anywhere
Manifold must be removed. Pentair #77707-0001

shopping

Reactions: New pump Guy
Thank you, I just had the membrane replaced so I definitely need the sun shade. I'm looking for the internal bypass but I can't find the part anywhere
With automation, I have actually set the heater for its highest heat, 104, and used a stainless screw to screw the shade in the lower right-hand corner so that the wind doesn't move it. The board is higher in the top so it won't be damaged. Once set, there is little reason to get to the touchpad.
Have also drilled a 7/16" hole in the lower right corner of the shade and use a 5/16" X 1" self-drilling machine screw into the top as a post that the shade will fit over and it can be moved easier but the wind still has a hard time moving it. Have come back to pools I forgot I worked on, or a new owner called, and found that shade still in place 10 years later. It works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.