Spring Texas, Construction Progress

Re: Spring Texas, Contract Signed! Will still need advice along the way!

View attachment 46007Going with Oklaoma Wister flagstone coping. Opinions or experience on this tile or Blue Surf pebble sheen?

I have the blue surf. We love it. Be sure to ask for Shimmering Sea to be added, for the sparkly bits. When I asked about it, my PB unexpectedly said he would include it for free. <Edit We are in Cypress feel free to come have a look /Edit>

Thanks for this advice! Just added an extended second step for more interior seating!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this education on auto fill! I went ahead and added it because my pool builder through it in for free!

Free auto fills are awesome! So, even if you hate it (not) you can just turn it off.

Another question. Anyone mind sharing how adding the pool impacted their monthly electric costs in the Houston area these days? I will not have a spa and will not have a heater. Planning on a Variable speed pump for the pool and a 2 HP pump for the water fall. Trying to anticipate all the costs of maintaining my pool. I've done some google searches, but its hard to use those examples because the cost of energy varies from state to state.

We have a variable speed pump and our electricity costs 10.25c/kWh. I'm not sure we really even noticed a change in our electric bill. Maybe 20 or 30 bucks? Variable speed pumps are incredibly efficient.

Here is how it works
We run the pump at 1100rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. If you run it 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. Take 150x6 = 900÷1000 = 0.9 kWh. 0.9 kWh x $0.1025 = $0.09225 per day x 30 days = $2.77 per month for filtering and keeping the pool clean.

We run the pump at 1950rpm for solar or solar plus waterfall and it uses 550 watts. Let's say that on solar heating days we also run 6 hours but don't need to run the above cleaning cycle also. 550x6 = 3300÷1000 = 3.3x0.1025 = 0.33825 x 30 = $10.15 per month to run 6 hours every day.

What I don't know is how much electricity your 2hp waterfall pump uses or how much you might run it.

I have lots of trees so I run my skimmers a lot. Probably 8 hrs a day average VS pump. We have spa but the heater is propane. Our bill is 60-100 higher a month. I also have a robot I use at least 3 times a week. (We really have a lot of trees!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks, Pooldv. Its nice to have this math to apply to my situation. Its great to hear that you didn't notice much of a difference in your electric bill. I think we'll only run the waterfall a couple hours a day or if we are swimming. However, I have lots of studying to do to know what the best patterns will be.

We have a variable speed pump and our electricity costs 10.25c/kWh. I'm not sure we really even noticed a change in our electric bill. Maybe 20 or 30 bucks? Variable speed pumps are incredibly efficient.

Here is how it works
We run the pump at 1100rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. If you run it 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. Take 150x6 = 900÷1000 = 0.9 kWh. 0.9 kWh x $0.1025 = $0.09225 per day x 30 days = $2.77 per month for filtering and keeping the pool clean.

We run the pump at 1950rpm for solar or solar plus waterfall and it uses 550 watts. Let's say that on solar heating days we also run 6 hours but don't need to run the above cleaning cycle also. 550x6 = 3300÷1000 = 3.3x0.1025 = 0.33825 x 30 = $10.15 per month to run 6 hours every day.

What I don't know is how much electricity your 2hp waterfall pump uses or how much you might run it.

Approval request submitted to HOA...now just waiting...waiting...waiting. Here is a "before" pic of the yard. Our pool company did have the utility markings done yesterday...so we are making progress!
IMG_0209.JPG3external tfp.jpg
Before pic and pool design side view

- - - Updated - - -

I am having a hard time posting pics due to size limitations, even once they are compressed. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

- - - Updated - - -

We used the same tile, except ours is the Tavora Tan color, we really like the look of it....almost like it's a natural stone product.

Very nice. I am still not 100% settled. Will look closer at options as we progress... but this tile jumped out for my whole family.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 263

Here are the final dimensions of the pool design. We have HOA approval! Now just waiting for a few days clear of rain. Hope everyone is safe and dry! For all of you experienced folks, any recommended modifications based on what you see here?

- - - Updated - - -

Actual final design

- - - Updated - - -

Actual Back yard view

Have them add a few umbrella anchors around the pool. I've got them everywhere. Helps to shade the pool when it's hot and also share seating areas. Maybe add a couple of bubblers that run when your wall/waterfall are on. Help to keep the water moving on the sun shelf.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if it were me I'd add a bench under the waterfall. You're going to want to hang out there!!

Have them add a few umbrella anchors around the pool. I've got them everywhere. Helps to shade the pool when it's hot and also share seating areas. Maybe add a couple of bubblers that run when your wall/waterfall are on. Help to keep the water moving on the sun shelf.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if it were me I'd add a bench under the waterfall. You're going to want to hang out there!!

Thanks Sunbaby! Great suggestions. Are you recommending additional umbrella anchors inside the pool or embedded in the decking? I had a nagging feeling that adding another bench on the other side of the pool was a missed opportunity! Hopefully the pool will start this week!

We had them done in the decking. But close to the pool. We also had one put in an open area (not by the pool) great for extra seating. I WISH I would have gotten a bench under the weeping wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.