Spa pump sizing

Tnafranklin

Apr 26, 2020
Tulsa, OK
I am needing to replace my spa pump and I am looking for some guidance. The motor is 3 h/p with 13.3 amp rating. I am having a hard time finding one with these amp specs. Can I go down in amps or is this not advised Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! IMG_2521.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

DOE regulations have banned the sale of most single speed pumps of 1HP or more. You need to get a VS pump for your spa.

If that pump is powering your spa jets you probably want a pump around 3HP.

Do you have automation?

How is the pump controlled?

What is the rest of your pool equipment?

It is a 2 stage pump on a stand alone hot tub. I can find 3 h/p pumps but I am concerned about the difference in amps. Or I should say I don’t know enough to know if amps make a difference. For instance I found a 3 h/p pump with 10 amps but I am not sure if this makes a difference.

Ah, @RDspaguy should point you in the right direction when he wanders by.

I don’t think a small difference in amps make a difference if it is rated at 3HP.

What model spa is it?

It’s a jewel plus spa. It came with the house when we bought it a few years ago so it’s definitely older. I’ve kind of been learning about my spa and salt generator pool as things come up for repair. I appreciate this forum and all of the help offered here!

The following pumps are exempt from the DPPP efficiency requirements:
  • Three-phase pumps
  • electric spa (hot tub) pumps
  • pumps greater than 2.5 HHP (approximately 5 total horsepower [THP])
Yeah, I thought we were discussing an inground spa connected to a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.