DFW TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
DIY remodel/build in work, setting rebar. Has anyone ever installed a pair of channel drains on opposite walls of the footwell in a gunite spa?
Long edge of channel would be approx 1-2 inches above the floor.
I'm thinking of doing this vice placing them on the floor.

Jeff

The spa drain location in the wall will prevent you from fully draining the spa when in SPA DRAIN mode with your automation.

It will also keep the filter from capturing dirt that falls to the spa floor.

spa-suction-1-jpg.558476

The spa drain location in the wall will prevent you from fully draining the spa when in SPA DRAIN mode with your automation.
It will also keep the filter from capturing dirt that falls to the spa floor.

spa-suction-1-jpg.558476
I agree, I was thinking if I needed to fully drain it I'd use my submersible pump. As for the debris, I could stir up the floor and with the suction being close to the bottom it should still be able to "clean" it. This also frees up floor space for an air loop in the floor for bubbles.

I have not seen this type of set up but I do like the looks better than having the round elevated covers.

On a side note, is the coping of the raised spa on the pool entry side going to even with the ending of the entry step or half way in between?
Past the coping edge about 1 foot, I don't want water to splash out onto the pool deck.
The black dots are warm water returns from the heater. I was just going to put rotating nozzles in them, no air. The white sets of three are Waterway 3-Jet manifolds that require 10gpm each.

It will not. But do as you wish.
Understand. I used to have a fiberglass spa and the suction was on the side. The bottom stayed clean, but then again it was covered when not in use.
The foot well is only 3x4 foot. I need to fit two 4x32 inch channel drains in the foot well. The size of the 3inch pvc fittings make this a challenge. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it easier for the plaster crew to not damage my drains with their spikes and make it easier on the feet of the spa user.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as the plaster crew doing damage to the channel drains if located on the floor, if its a reputable company I would trust them to have your best interest in mind.

For a cleaner line, think about having the coping end in line with the finished step.View attachment 558553
Ok. I'll keep it in the floor. If I can get the fittings to work. Explain finished step: 1. Bond beam coping line. 2. First step down front edge? Maybe the front edge of the second step. I was trying to keep the elevation of the back/neck/head rest of the edge of the spa end seat even and comfortable for the occupant.

Let’s talk about that spa spillover…

As designed the spillover is half the surface area of the spa perimeter. The longer the spillover is the more water flow will be needed in POOL mode for a smooth spillover.

You will find that continuous running a spillover, especially with a lot of surface area, creates aeration which causes pH to rise rapidly which then requires frequent acid additions to lower pH. For that reason we recommend not continually running the spillover and scheduling SPILLOVER mode on your automation to refresh your spa a few times a day for 15 minutes.

Also as designed the spillover is alongside the steps which means water will splash on people entering and exiting the pool. And that side can be used by people as a handrail to steady themselves. I am not sure having water spillover the step areas will be enjoyable or even safe at times.

Also the entire edge of the spillover must be level for the water to evenly flow. The longer the spillover is the more you create a challenge for the mason to get that stone perfect for the water flow. Those craftsmen are hard to find.

These are all practical reasons why I would reduce the spillover area to one length of the spa and even less then the full length. What looks cool on design drawings is often not the best to build and live with.

Let’s talk about that spa spillover…

As designed the spillover is half the surface area of the spa perimeter. The longer the spillover is the more water flow will be needed in POOL mode for a smooth spillover.

You will find that continuous running a spillover, especially with a lot of surface area, creates aeration which causes pH to rise rapidly which then requires frequent acid additions to lower pH. For that reason we recommend not continually running the spillover and scheduling SPILLOVER mode on your automation to refresh your spa a few times a day for 15 minutes.

Also as designed the spillover is alongside the steps which means water will splash on people entering and exiting the pool. And that side can be used by people as a handrail to steady themselves. I am not sure having water spillover the step areas will be enjoyable or even safe at times.

Also the entire edge of the spillover must be level for the water to evenly flow. The longer the spillover is the more you create a challenge for the mason to get that stone perfect for the water flow. Those craftsmen are hard to find.

These are all practical reasons why I would reduce the spillover area to one length of the spa and even less then the full length. What looks cool on design drawings is often not the best to build and live with.
Thank you for the feedback on the spill over. I intend to run it at low flow, more of a wet edge, about 1/8 inch weir height. The pH will be minimally affected by this. The major pH killer will be the spa while operating jets...copious amounts of air introduction, as well as the fountain spillover. Which is one of the reasons I'm automating the acid injection. The spa return in spillover mode taps off before chemistry additions.

I intend to run it at low flow, more of a wet edge, about 1/8 inch weir height.

A low flow over a large area will require a high flow and higher pump RPM into the spa.

The pH will be minimally affected by this.

The pH in the pool will be affected by all the aeration.

The major pH killer will be the spa while operating jets...copious amounts of air introduction, as well as the fountain spillover.

That will be major to the spa water volume but minor to the pool volume.

Which is one of the reasons I'm automating the acid injection. The spa return in spillover mode taps off before chemistry additions.

Ok, you will adjust things as you see the actual results.

What equipment are you planning for the acid injection?

A low flow over a large area will require a high flow and higher pump RPM into the spa.

The pH in the pool will be affected by all the aeration.

That will be major to the spa water volume but minor to the pool volume.

Ok, you will adjust things as you see the actual results.

What equipment are you planning for the acid injection?
50 gpm for the spillover, just enough to wet the edge.
Pentair intellichem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.