Southeast Texas - First Time Pool Owner - Need MAJOR Schooling

ShaneCH

Oct 13, 2023
Hamshire, TX
So the wife of 20+ years talked me into purchasing Ultra XTR® Frame Above Ground Pool w/ Sand Filter Pump - 18' x 52" <--- this 'wonderful' beast of a pool (don't be jealous!) for the family (3 children). We've gone through floods, lots of ups and lots of downs.. and probably have argued over this gift from God (pool) than anything else in our marriage. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I was extremely ignorant to all of the prep work and the upkeep and that is my fault. But down to the nitty gritty.

I was in on the initial setting up of the pool and for the most part, she took it from there. We had a BEAUTIFUL pool.. until we didn't. I've done some research since, but in a nutshell the water now currently looks the exact opposite of what somebody would want it to look like! But the problem is I'm not sure how to A) best go about bringing it back to clear and B) what would cause it to turn dark green so quickly.

I know the pH was bad when she tested it one day and it was as if the next day or two it went from a teal to a dark green. I honestly don't know how fast it turned and unfortunately I don't know the exact levels as far as pH and Cl to really know what issue caused it. We have a friend who has an above ground pool who lives about 90 miles away (very close to Houston) who swears she basically does very little after she opens the pool for the season. My wife and her talk about the issues and everything seems to point towards a purchase of a larger pump. But after talking to an ex co-worker (who now literally owns a pool cleaning company) he swears that it's the chemicals not being kept up more than a circulation problem. (he ran calculations, etc and with it being out of the box - felt comfortable going with about 85% of what they say the pump does)

So that is when the arguments begin. After lurking on here for a few weeks, I definitely realize I need to invest in a better testing kit, as well as a few other things.

Can some of you experts PLEASE PLEASE help us out.. this has been a long few months.

Reactions: LSU
Welcome to TFP! :wave: We can help you wiht your water. First thing - proper test kit. Stay out of the pool store and don't use their junk. Come back here and provide us with a full set of water test results from either a TF-Series test kit (llink in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. It ALL starts there. No free testing, no test strips, just your onw testing. With those accurate numbers we can coach you through just about anything.

Also see ----> Pool Care Basics

Initially
HERE is the link to the test kit site as well. If you are on a well let us know.

Also tell us how you normally chlorinate the water each day (tablets, powders, liquid, etc). If you have added any other products to the water let us know.
Initially, we used these as directed:
Shock Plus | Shock | Clorox® Pool&Spa™

And we use the chlorine tablets and refill as needed of course. These ran out at one point and I used the shock again because I was worried about the chlorine levels getting low. Again, full disclosure, she has maintained the pool. Probably about 85% of everything has been her. I do know what is going on to a point though and going through texts; I am refreshing my memory of our talks as I post.. if that makes sense.
https://www.cloroxpool.com/products/xtrablue-chlorinating-tablets/

Ex coworker told me that I needed to use a higher shock and better tablets. I have only talked to him about 30 minutes and this was only last week.

But I hope to try and revive the pool this weekend.

Here's the problem wiht those products. Each one of them adds stabilizer. The higher your stabilizer level (CYA) goes, the higher the free chlorine level needs to be. See our FC/CYA Levels to understand. In addition, anytime you see a product with the word "Blue" in it - run. Stop using them now. They add copper to the water and that's never good. The only way to remove copper is to change the water.

Stick to liquid pool chlorine for your daily sanitation.

Here is an easier visual representation of the FC-to-CYA relationship and how they should match. Remember, the more you use powders and tabs, the higher the CYA level goes. Liquid chlorine has no stabilizer in it. No side effects.

full

Keep in mind, none of this matters if you are guessing with water testing. You must have one of the test kits I noted above. Where you get it makes no difference to us (TFP). But having a proper test kit at home is essential and easy to use. It pays for itself is reliability, accuracy, and less waste/frustration on your part.

Hey Shane and Welcome !!!

We got you now.

We do things on the cheap and easy but it's a different direction from anywhere else like friends or the pool store. It's best to start over from scratch as there is so much misinfo and half truths out there.

Here's what our pools look like. How Clear is TFP Clear?. We teach regular joes and janes to have the same on the daily and will happily guide you too, but you can't mix and match advice.

Here's my credentials :
(Leaned here)

ezgif-4-72a4b5ae5f.gif

• Haha
New dude got sparkly blue water for credentials....this is why he doesn't have a business card! Nice to meet ya Shane! You're not too far from us, we are in between Woodville and Corrigan. Follow all the advice you get here. It has been a wealth of knowledge for us!

All the fine folks here have helped me learn to maintain this
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.