Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I know the list of things to do is long & the days are short but….
Is it in the works to change the wording for the poolmath selection for bleach to sodium hypochlorite at some point?
Maybe a compromise like
bleach/sodium hypochlorite,
liquid chlorine/bleach,
Or perhaps even
liquid chlorine/sodium hypochlorite similar to the soda ash/washing soda option?
Something that reflects what is actually on the ingredients list on the label to prevent confusion. This would also reinforce the TFPC fundamental principle of paying attention to the actual ingredients not just what the main eye catching part of the label says.

I realize the verbiage is a throwback from another time in which mostly only unadulterated bleach was readily available/plentiful at the grocery/big box stores for pittance so it’s use was greatly encouraged over dedicated pool chlorine but that is no longer the case & hasn’t been for some time.
Sadly, it may never be the case again.

All over the TFP site & the forum the language has been adapted to reflect that & explain the differences now that there are so many. Poolmath doesn’t really have the room to explain these things so changing how that selection is worded would likely go a long way to that end.

Thanks 😊

I agree. Bleach is very generic and while it covers a lot of different products, the forum tends to use the words liquid chlorine a lot (IMO). Further discussions use sodium hypochlorite for clarifications on percentage to use in PM app. I always use liquid chlorine in my discussions as that is readily available in my area and I know in Florida as well because Pinch a Penny pool store. Walmart and Home Depot all carry it. That may not be the case in other areas so clarifying sodium hypochlorite is the right product.

@Leebo - you da man!
The confusion has come up a couple times recently even in the slow traffic time around here so it put it on my mind again to mention it before things get busier.

Reactions: Newdude
liquid chlorine/bleach

@Leebo
I might suggest that you use Liquid Chlorine/Bleach. Why? Because that is how it is sold and what the label on the bottle says. That option doesn't require looking up sodium hypochlorite, which is even more obscure than the current "bleach" option in Pool Math.

I don't think there has ever been confusion when I've said "use Liquid Chlorine."

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
If I may, I'd also chime in and offer the additional justification that bleach is more frequently adulterated with "scented", "no splash" and "color-fast" additives of late, that we really don't want anywhere near their water.

I find myself clarifying this with clients when we offer directives on supplemental dosing because I'm surprised how many people have that other junk in their laundry rooms, and they don't think twice about using it.

I think “bleach” should be methodically purged from all TFP content and replaced with “liquid chlorine “.

There was a time when TFP said to buy their basic chemicals in their local markets when bleach had no additives. Those days are gone and the household bleach aisle is no longer the place to get pool chemicals.