SoCal *Splash* Pool

I got out my tape measure so I would know just what those sizes looked like. The 24" is above my knees where the 18" was below my knees. I think the 18" will be plenty high and not block the view of the yard beyond the BLING wall. So my vote is 18" and 12". BUt it makes me sad to say that as it is less BLING LOL

Reactions: Girija
I got out my tape measure so I would know just what those sizes looked like. The 24" is above my knees where the 18" was below my knees. I think the 18" will be plenty high and not block the view of the yard beyond the BLING wall. So my vote is 18" and 12". BUt it makes me sad to say that as it is less BLING LOL
Thank you Kim! I agree. I'm feeling like the 18"-12" is a better size for the small pool and I think less bling might be best in this case :)

I'll defer to the ladies on this but 12" high seems short for a water feature, especially by the pool. You may want to consider 14" that still gives you a differential to the middle section. Just an option!!!

Thanks, Herman! Very smart to defer to the ladies! ;)
Our first design had a 24" middle and 12" sides, but the sides looked way too short for the feature, like you expressed. However, I think it was because there was too much space between 24 and 12.
Here are two pools I've found on TFP that have the 18" 12" Combo. Lengths are different, but I think both of these look good for a water feature.

Attachments

• TFP 6x4 18%22 wall.png
    TFP 6x4 18%22 wall.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 4.51.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 4.51.14 PM.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 70
So. . . We've changed our wall dimensions to to 18" high in the middle and 12" high on the ends.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in!!!
Attaching the new cardboard cutout :LOL: If you look closely, you can see the mock cascade!
Where is the bobcat???? Will this pool ever get started?

Attachments

• 20201024_102654.jpg
    20201024_102654.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 66
Your hills look like where I grew up (where East Orange meets North Tustin)? Don't mean to intrude, but are you sure you want Pebble Tec? We regretted that choice (actually went with Pebble 'Sheen' so it would be 'smoother'), as the aggregate is so abrasive, taking skin right off when one scrapes knuckles, elbows, etc. I regret we didn't go with a smoother surface. I believe Pebble Tec has one even smoother, called 'Pebble Fina' maybe? (This was 10+ years ago.) You might consider asking others who have the same surface you are planning to purchase how they have liked it. And maybe ours was just installed poorly, leaving too much aggregate exposed?

Last edited:
Hi Mike/Westovers,
I'm wondering if you were looking at another site when you sent this. I'm in San Diego County, not Orange, and I AM getting pebble fina, not pebble tec (see signature). Thanks for sharing that you think the sheen is too rough! (50% of sheeners say it's smooth and the other half echo your concern.) I prefer the sheen color choices over fina, and occasionally wonder if I'm making the right choice. But I know I want something smooth in my spa and I'd like the pool to match, so fina it is!
2/23/2021 EDIT: Fina it's not. Going with Pebble Sheen for the deeper, richer water color. All the service people I reached out to says it lasts longer/looks more uniform.
This is what happens when I'm given MONTHS to change my mind!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Mike/Westovers,
I'm wondering if you were looking at another site when you sent this. I'm in San Diego County, not Orange, and I AM getting pebble fina, not pebble tec (see signature). Thanks for sharing that you think the sheen is too rough! (50% of sheeners say it's smooth and the other half echo your concern.) I prefer the sheen color choices over fina, and occasionally wonder if I'm making the right choice. But I know I want something smooth in my spa and I'd like the pool to match, so fina it is!
Thanks--I must just be mistaken on your hills, they just look so much like OC. And yes, I hadn't noticed that in your signature--I think you'll be very glad you're going with Fina over Sheen, especially if you have kids playing in your pool, etc.

Here's a pic of part of my "deconstructed" yard. When the PB came out to mark the ground three weeks ago, they said, "Oh, you've already marked it for us!" Ha!

We had to cut 44" off our patio to make way for the pool! AND move a ton of brick and rock—which my husband lovingly laid when we moved in eight years ago. He deconstructed most everything too!

See that table piled with tile? Well, sad but true, there are three tables full of tiles on our patio. And we still haven't decided. :swim: There are so many beautiful choices, but when we put them out in our yard, they either turn super dark or super bland! The one in the pic (Aquabella's Fjord Silent) didn't do either, so we may use it for waterline . . .

I love the visual - especially the cardboard box wall! Funny, I bought those flags that irrigation guys use from amazon this week and am planning on doing something similar this weekend.

Also - I agree, 18 and 12 for the wall. =)

Last edited:
Thank you JMS Mommy, and thank you for the vote! Some of these decisions feel like playing darts after being spun around blindfolded and then trying to hit a bullseye! 🎯 :cool: I can't wait to see what you do with all those flags! 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Reactions: JMSMommy
Kimkats!
Your TFP chant was heard yesterday!!! May I please borrow your pom poms??? :kim:

Attachments

• Bobcat.jpg
    Bobcat.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 58
  • Bobcats.jpg
    Bobcats.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 60
  • Pool Hole.jpg
    Pool Hole.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Pool Hole 2.jpg
    Pool Hole 2.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Pool Hole 1.jpg
    Pool Hole 1.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: TampaKathy
Thank you JMS Mommy, and thank you for the vote! Some of these decisions feel like playing darts after being spun around blindfolded and then trying to hit a bullseye! 🎯 :cool: I can't wait to see what you do with all those flags! 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Yes totally agree. My husband thinks I am a crazy lady, but oh well! I mean, it's something I am going to look at all day! this is important. =)

Found out from the PB today that our pour-in-place pool coping will be 3" thick and that is what they were planning to put on the top of our raised cascade wall.
3" is THICK and I don't think it will look good on top of our wall. PB said they can't do pour-in-place less than 3" when I asked for a 1 or 1 1/2" wall top. PB offered to try and find something 1" or 1 1/2" that will work. The problem is, I think any material other than concrete will look strange (imo, the top of the wall should look like a continuation of the coping, except not as thick as 3").
Please let me know what you think. Should we just continue our glass tile to cover the top of the wall? It's not what I've been picturing and I'm not sure I'll like it or if it will look odd.
I've attached a couple pics of other TFP walls that show what I was expecting our wall to look like. Our wall will have tiles on the sides, like the pic with the dog.
Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• TFP 6x4 18%22 wall.png
    TFP 6x4 18%22 wall.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 31
  • TFP 18%22 Cascade pool.jpg
    TFP 18%22 Cascade pool.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 31
The pics are small, but in each it looks like the thickness of the wall cap matches the thickness of the coping. I think yours should too. 3" is not all that thick, and in the context of a pool I think it'll be fine, especially if it matches the rest of the deck/coping. It might even look stranger if the coping is 3" and the caps are 1.5". I never did get a chance to do those mockups for you. Have you decided yet on the tile, or do you still need some help with that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.