So embarrassed...Defeating the Giant Green Monster

I've been wondering how you were doing. Post a pic up as soon as you can!

Oh c'mon... post up the pics!!! I bet we could see a big difference! :mrgreen:

I'll post some in a few hours, the sun is directly behind me at the moment. It's casting a lot of shadows onto the pool.

Good news! This morning I can see the pattern on the bottom of the pool...just barely, but it's definitely better than yesterday!! My girls keep asking when they can swim, and I've told them hopefully by next weekend. I really hope I'm right!

Safety to swim while SLAMing is based on two things.

1. FC must be below SLAM level. If you let FC dip a little, go swimming, and raise it back to at or SLAM level when you're done, I don't think you'll lose any ground.

2. The pool must be clear enough to see a person underwater. If somebody goes down, you need to be able to see/find them.

Obviously #1 is easy. Simple math, right? #2 is the tough one. That one is going to be determined by your judgement and comfort level. Other than those two things above, I don't see any reason why the water itself would be unsafe to swim.

Safety to swim while SLAMing is based on two things.

1. FC must be below SLAM level. If you let FC dip a little, go swimming, and raise it back to at or SLAM level when you're done, I don't think you'll lose any ground.

2. The pool must be clear enough to see a person underwater. If somebody goes down, you need to be able to see/find them.

Obviously #1 is easy. Simple math, right? #2 is the tough one. That one is going to be determined by your judgement and comfort level. Other than those two things above, I don't see any reason why the water itself would be unsafe to swim.

Thanks, but I'm making them wait until it's completely done. BBB has spoiled me, I like a crystal clear body of water :) They're young (12,10,9) and all of us girls have super sensitive skin. It's just not worth the risk to let them swim now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point with the algae dead and just trying to get the water clear, it's important to have good filtration and lots of it (24/7 will clear up the pool faster). Chlorine will only do so much and after that it's about physically removing the dead algae cells from the water.

Pic from just now.

Thanks Chemgeek. Pump is running 24/7 and we are getting out as much algae as we can with nets, and vacs. I'm cleaning the filter as necessary. In the first 3 days I cleaned it 4 times...now is when I can see why people say get a bigger filter. My plan is to never let it get like this again, and when I keep the pool clean my filter works just fine.

I'm at 53 jugs of bleach. This morning, I can see the bottom without squinting. There is a little cloudiness to the water, but not much. I hope in the next couple of days I'm done with the SLAM! I'm SO close!!

Looking good Jules!!! You've made amazing progress!!!

Hey guys! I thought I'd update y'all. My pool has been sparkly clean for 2 days now, I maintained shock level anyway, just to be safe. I did the OCLT this morning and passed with flying colors. I started this last Thursday night (adding bleach) and today I can officially say the SLAM is done! Not too bad! I honestly thought it would take a lot longer. Btw, we used right at 60 jugs of bleach, under $200 with tax.

I'll get a pic as soon as I can. Stormy days don't make for good pics.

Hey guys! I thought I'd update y'all. My pool has been sparkly clean for 2 days now, I maintained shock level anyway, just to be safe. I did the OCLT this morning and passed with flying colors. I started this last Thursday night (adding bleach) and today I can officially say the SLAM is done! Not too bad! I honestly thought it would take a lot longer. Btw, we used right at 60 jugs of bleach, under $200 with tax.

I'll get a pic as soon as I can. Stormy days don't make for good pics.
Now you can just cruise along the rest of the season! Be sure to show it off to the neighbors as much as possible. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.