Small pool SWG advice

NPGinAL

Feb 3, 2023
Alabama
We are installing a 4600 gallon fiberglass pool. I have seen a few Blue Works systems for 10 and 15k gallon pools, but they are for AGP. I can't find much info about most of them for small pools. FYI, we are using 2" pipe.
What's the difference between inground and above ground labeled systems?

Last edited:
We are installing a 4600 gallon fiberglass pool. I have seen a few Blue Works systems for 10 and 15k gallon pools, but they are for ABP. I can't find much info about most of them for small pools. FYI, we are using 2" pipe.
What's the difference between inground and above ground labeled systems?
@Mdragger88 and @kimkats are likely the best at this situation. Let's see what they have to say...

+1. Above ground pool SWGs are rated for less FC production. Other than that they do what they're supposed to do.

A 13 ft round above ground pool that's 4 ft deep has about 4k gallons for reference. There's no need for a 20k / 40k / 60k unit for them.

+1. Above ground pool SWGs are rated for less FC production. Other than that they do what they're supposed to do.

A 13 ft round above ground pool that's 4 ft deep has about 4k gallons for reference. There's no need for a 20k / 40k / 60k unit for them.
Thanks. Do you know why they're labeled for above ground, or if they fit 2" pipe? I'd rather not constrict the return fow.

It should, but I would call to confirm with their customer service. While the unit looks similar to a Hayward system, the parts image on Amazon seems a bit confusing. They only show one collar nut when we know it needs two, and it's hard to tell what size the end fittings are. The description on Amazon does not clarify.

Reactions: NPGinAL and Newdude
Do you know why they're labeled for above ground,
So that the average person with an inground pool doesn't mistake it as an option. The price point is much more attractive and they'd have a mess on their hands.

Generally The size/ gallon rating is what leads to the distinction it doesn’t mean you can’t use it on an inground pool.
Be aware that the blueworks cells & other generic/knockoff cells on Amazon/ebay generally don’t have the lifespan of the hayward or other branded cell they are a clone of.
It has been reported that their lifespan rating is around 3k hours vs the 8-10k hrs from a name brand like hayward, pentair, etc. This is due to them having less of the rare earth metals which are expensive thus the price difference.
Take a look at the smaller circupool models at www.discountsaltpool.com
Many here are very happy with their circupool swg’s.
Here’s a good comparison chart for comparing prices, outputs, warranties etc. across the brands/sizes.
Are you planning on having any automation? If so you should stick to the same brand as your other equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This looks like a good option. Can anyone provide first hand experience?

CircuPool SJ-20 Salt Chlorine Generator​

The SJ series is nice. I have the SJ-60+, with a 30K gallon pool. I like it because it has a 5% increment to the output controls. And, the warranty is generally positive for the self-installer. With a 4600 Gallon pool and a 20K gallon controller, you will easily handle high FC demand days.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The SJ series is nice. I have the SJ-60+, with a 30K gallon pool. I like it because it has a 5% increment to the output controls. And, the warranty is generally positive for the self-installer. With a 4600 Gallon pool and a 20K gallon controller, you will easily handle high FC demand days.
Thank you. Do I need to add a flow switch? I don't see one in the contents

Thank you. Do I need to add a flow switch? I don't see one in the contents
Comes with it. 6th picture on this page.

1675617572104.png

How are you running your pump. The flow switch should be a SECONDARY safety. You want to tie your pump power and your SWCG cell power together. You never want your cell to run if your pump is not running.

Post #11

View attachment 472053

How are you running your pump. The flow switch should be a SECONDARY safety. You want to tie your pump power and your SWCG cell power together. You never want your cell to run if your pump is not running.

Post #11
I haven't installed anything yet. Variable speed pump. I thought the flow switch was supposed to be the safety and keep it off if no flow. I haven't seen wiring diagram to tie the pump power to SWG/

View attachment 472053

Post #11
That's the RJ model.

The sj 20 also comes with a flow switch
74B8A992-9A98-480C-9797-B7AA76E0DBA6.jpeg
That flow switch is your secondary fail safe.
You will need a timer that powers the swg as your primary failsafe to ensure the swg doesn’t run when the pump is off.
The timer should be set to come on at least 30 minutes after the pump comes on & to turn off at least 30 minutes before the pump turns off. You will have to check that things are still in sync periodically & after power failures especially if using a mechanical timer as those tend to “lose time”.
Both the pump & the swg should be fed from the same power supply so incase of power loss to the pump (i.e. breaker trips) the swg also loses power.

Reactions: NPGinAL and Newdude
I haven't installed anything yet. Variable speed pump. I thought the flow switch was supposed to be the safety and keep it off if no flow. I haven't seen wiring diagram to tie the pump power to SWG/

My understanding is that CircuPool control box does not have the option to control the pump. You need two timer, one for the pump and the one that is built into the control box.

The Hayward AquaRite controller does have a switched outlet (either normal or twist lock depending on the model) on the bottom. You plug your pump into that, and when the SWCG switch on, it switches on the pump.

If you are getting a controller from Hayward, you need to make sure you are getting one configured for a HP cell (Hose Pipe). The Hayward HP cells are meant to be mounted horizontally, and therefor the control panel that comes with them have the board configured to use a flow switch.

The RJ (return jet) controllers are used for cells mounted vertically just below a return, and do not need a flow switch.

So an RJ unit is one case where it will only work on above ground pools (unless you somehow dig a pit next to your pool so you can mount it vertically beneath the return)

My understanding is that CircuPool control box does not have the option to control the pump. You need two timer, one for the pump and the one that is built into the control box.

The Hayward AquaRite controller does have a switched outlet (either normal or twist lock depending on the model) on the bottom. You plug your pump into that, and when the SWCG switch on, it switches on the pump.

If you are getting a controller from Hayward, you need to make sure you are getting one configured for a HP cell (Hose Pipe). The Hayward HP cells are meant to be mounted horizontally, and therefor the control panel that comes with them have the board configured to use a flow switch.

The RJ (return jet) controllers are used for cells mounted vertically just below a return, and do not need a flow switch.

So an RJ unit is one case where it will only work on above ground pools (unless you somehow dig a pit next to your pool so you can mount it vertically beneath the return)
Thanks. I decided to run the SWG and pump on the same breaker, with a separate timer for the SWG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.