Slime in my pool. Thought yellow algae....

Jim'spool

May 23, 2020
NE Ohio
Hello group. I opened our pool to a good amt of "dirt" on the bottom. I cleaned as usual with a robot and got the pool balanced. New sandlike dust on the bottom everyday. I thought my robot kept missing certain areas. Other than that the pool is clear and looks great. I thought pollen, yellow algae... I put a skimmer sock on the basket and collected this gunk. I brushed the pool several times and run the pump on low all day long. I used yellow gone and shocked it and replaced the sock. It looked better the 2nd time so I replaced the sock again hoping for white but now I have this again. I also float a tennis ball in the skimmer and it now has this black ring on it today. I cleaned the cartridge filter twice, the first time it had grime the same as on the sock. Raining today so I haven't been able to get a look at the filter again. any suggestions?

IMG_E4327.jpegIMG_4328.jpeg

The pool was super chlorinated when I tested so I knew chlorine would be high:
FC 7.97
TC 7.97
CC 0
ph 7.7
Alk 143
Hardness 156
cya 51
iron 0
copper .10
phosphate 742
I haven't hooked up the heater yet until I figure out what this gunk is so the water is pretty cold.
24' Round 54" deep apx 15000 gal
thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpeg
    IMG_4329.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 11
That looks like the pollen that I collect in my skimmer sock. But the pollen around here generally floats, so if you have something accumulating on the floor it might be something else.

If you think it could be algae, then the prescription is the SLAM Process utilizing a quality test kit. Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP from Ashtabula!

As @MITBeta indicated best to get your own test kit. PoolStore testing is suspect (ask me how I know) :) Link-->Test Kits Compared

My skimmers are the same, lots of stuff floating around. You might find that cheap disposable hairnets from Amazon work wonders. Just toss them out and replace with new...(about $10 for 100).

When you get your test kit, here is how we test for algae...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Also check out...Link-->Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.