kevinws74

Jul 8, 2022
edinburg virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
so this is the second year i had my pool. this year i opened it by shocking and flocking. the water was so clear but then a week later it was cloudy and white stuff building up on the bottom and sometimes it could be yellow to green. i then shocked and flocked again and it was good for about 6 days and then the same thing happened and two days after that it was really bad so i shocked and flocked again and also trying to figure out this slam method. i have about 11,000 gallons and when i checked my levels right before the last shock and flock i had 3 ppm cl, and 55 cya. the test kit says these ranges are fine but it didnt look fine. so yesterday after i vacuumed from the flock i then started slamming but not sure im doing it right. i added 2 gallons in the am then 2 b4 i left for work last night. today when i got home i did two more gallons. this seems overkill. am i doing this right?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: To kill and remove algae we here at TFP use the SLAM Process. That is a process where we first do accurate water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to maintain the proper elevated FC level based on the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Floc is no help and can potentially cause more problems. If you follow the SLAM Process properly it will work.

Tell us more about your pool and equipment by updating your signature. Also include which test kit you are using.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: To kill and remove algae we here at TFP use the SLAM Process. That is a process where we first do accurate water testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to maintain the proper elevated FC level based on the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Floc is no help and can potentially cause more problems. If you follow the SLAM Process properly it will work.

Tell us more about your pool and equipment by updating your signature. Also include which test kit you are
im trying to figure out how to work this app. i dont see where i can update my signature. i got a hth test kit that does alkalinity cya, chlorine and a few other things. it is not test strips. my cya was at 55 before i started the slam. and chlorine said 3 ppm. now is there a difference between free chlorine and what my test kit provides. its a hth test kit

i dont see where i can update my signature.
There should be a menu on the left where you can go to settings/signature. On some phones you have to turn it sideways to landscape to see everything.

i got a hth test kit
While those drops are better than test strips, you only have a limited amount of tests available and you can't test FC over 5 ppm which is required for the SLAM Process. The TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C are very reliable and easy to use. It's a one-time cost that pays for itself in saving time, chemicals, and frustration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.