Slamming Pool

Just did a FAS/DPD test. The results are listed below. Also, this morning my PH was 7.2 after adding 2 gallons of bleach last night. While I am adding bleach, how much do I add at a time an how long do I wait between each dose? Here are the FAS/DPD results:

FC = 16

CC = 0

You can add however much bleach it takes to raise your FC level back up to shock level. In the beginning of a SALM if you can test every hour or two that would be great. Redose as needed after testing. It's in the beginning of a SLAM that your chlorine is consumed faster, hence the need to test more often and redose.
Also your PH test is invalid at FC levels of 10 or more. Just a heads up. ?

2 seperate vacuums. The hose with the tape goes in ur skimmer hole and attach ur extension pole to the blue head. The white fitting is a spare one that goes on the end of a hose. Attach the non taped side to the backside of the vacuum with a hose clamp.

Hi Irkey
got to love trying to learn all these unfamiliar names and tests whilst paniciking with a green pool
take a photo of your pool looking down the ladder/steps so you can gauge how far down clarity ends
try and take a picture same time each day at same angle so you can compare your progress, it may take more than a week
at the top left of each page is pool school, each link then has further links
read until your head hurts, then go brush your pool until your arms hurt, then treat yourself to a drink
here is a link for extended test kit directions http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions
using the smaller sample saves you wasting your reagents during a slam
during a slam you only need to measure FC "free chlorine" and CC "combined chlorine"
at the top of the page is poolmath
enter all of the details about your pool
it will calculate how much bleach for you to add to get from your current level to your target level
the more frequently you test and adjust the quicker it will go, but weve all got jobs to goto so try and test in the morning, when you get home and before bed at a minimum

OK folks, here is the latest. I have now dumped 6 gallons of bleach into my pool (2 gallons every 2 hours). I have ran 3 different FAS/DPD tests (1 in between each cycle). Each test had a FC of 1 and a CC of 1. Not sure why i am not getting a better reading by now. I have swept, brushed and even tried to vacuum (after watching a video). I followed the video to a "T", but could not get any suction. I put my hand down into the skimmer hole and only felt a light water movement but not much suction at all. It seems all the sweeping, brushing and vacuuming ( or attempt at vacuuming) did nothing but brought a lot of algae to the surface and caused me to have to get my net out and fish for algae, not as fun as catfishing though. :) I am getting ready to add another 2 gallons of bleach, (bottles 7 & 8). Se we will see in the morning what the latest result brings.

Thanks so much for all the support I am getting. I am sure you all have had your hands full giving advise to all of us who have been suffering through our individual pool circumstances.

You may need to go back to the equipment pad and see what's going on. Your pump should be sucking pretty hard on your skimmer. There's either a valve not fully open somewhere or else your filter is all plugged up.

All the chlorine in the world isn't gonna be worth a hoot if you have no water circulation in the pool.

Please post pics if what you have at the equipment pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may need to go back to the equipment pad and see what's going on. Your pump should be sucking pretty hard on your skimmer. There's either a valve not fully open somewhere or else your filter is all plugged up.

All the chlorine in the world isn't gonna be worth a hoot if you have no water circulation in the pool.

Please post pics if what you have at the equipment pad.

I see circulation in the pool. Perhaps the filter is plugged up. I will give it a check in the morning. Thanks :)

Irkey, having a DE filter they are going to filter the best and that means more backwashing more often. Do you know what your clean pressure reading is ? If you don't go over to a return and with the pump running put your hand down at the return and see how the water flow is. If it's not strong or what it normally is a backwash is probably in order.
You should be back washing your filter when the pressure rises 25% above its clean pressure. Don't for get to recharge it with DE. Only add 80% of DE that you would add if you did a complete tear down and recharge. Example. If your filter takes 6 pounds of DE after a complete cleaning only add 4.8 pounds of DE after a backwash.
If you don't know what your clean pressure is you may want to backwash now and recharge with DE. Remember what the pressure gauge reads when you fire the pump back up and when it raises 25% of the clean pressure backwash. ?

Irkey, if I ay make a suggestion...if you're dropping to one when you check again in two hours, I'd suggest you check more frequently. The idea is to not let the FC get below shock value at all...every time you're below shock value, it gives new algae and opportunity to regrow...

OK - Here is what's going on this morning. When I went out to the pool the water had gone from a algae green look yesterday to a milky aqua blue look this morning. I did a FAS/DPD test and the FC was 5 and the CC
Was 2.5. I looked at the filter and the gauge read 30%. I will do a backwash. before I add anymore bleach.

Your making progress. Get your FC levels back up to shock level and take care of your filter. Note the clean pressure when your done recharging it with DE. When it rises 25% above its clean pressure backwash again.
If you have a multi-port valve you can also use recirculate for a while. You'll still have to filter and vacuum up the dead algae. Just an option in the beginning. ?

Update: Have now added 10 gallons of bleach since starting this SLAM. Water is a slight milky Aqua Blue but, is clearing nicely and can start to see the bottom of the pool at the deep end. There is still some algae on the bottom in various places around the pool. I will need to vacuum up those areas and do some more brushing on the walls it appears. The latest FAS/DPD test results are as follows:

FC = 12.5

CC = 4.5

Any suggestions? Should i continue to add bleach?

Oh, BTW - Filter has been backwashed and the clean starting point is 12 (not sure why it starts there).

12psi is your clean starting pressure. So you need to backwash again when it rises to 15psi (25% increase over nominal).

Keep maintaining your shock level as best you can. You're going to use a lot of bleach so be prepared to learn how to build plastic sculptures from all the empties....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.