Slamming Pool

Rain affects after chemistry less than people assume. Rain water is usually very low (no) TA, same with CH. But even so, even 3" of rain isn't much compared to pool volume. Rain means clouds and that's actually a good thing for a SLAM. The sun consumes less of the large doses of chlorine.

My TF-100 Test Kit was sitting at my door when I got home late last night. I know nothing about using this kit. Now, I could really use some help in getting this pool blue again. Up until yesterday, I have been putting about 2.5 gal of bleach 2X a day. As a result a lot of the darkness is disappearing and the water is looking a lot more clear. Now, I am seeing a lot of dark looking spots all around the floors and walls, I am guessing this is algae. So, I will be getting the old brush out and do some sweeping to see if I can make the pool look dirty again :)

So, if someone can guide me as to where to begin with this test kit, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!!!

If you can give us the CYA,FC and PH results that would be good for now. If your FC is 10 or more don't take the PH test as it will read a false high. Wait for your FC to drop below 10 and then take PH test. ?

Agreed. In order -

Test CYA
Test FC/CC (use the 10mL sample size which is 0.5ppm / drop)

If FC is greater than 10ppm, DO NOT MEASURE pH or any other parameters (indicator solutions bleach out or get chemically converted by the high chlorine levels).

For the CYA test, if your result is 100ppm, then you need to perform the test again but you will use a diluted sample of your water (1 part pool water mixed with 1 part bottled water then multiply your CYA test result by 2). Also, perform your CYA reading in good sunlight with the tube held at about waist/belly high and your back to the sun. CYA test is the most difficult one to get used to doing as it can be highly subject to lighting conditions.

Then post your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the early stages of a SLAM, dead algae can collect in the filter quickly, often requiring backwash hourly. I would recommend caution leaving it running unattended.

If you have to do _something_ and it has to be unattended, I would probably add more chlorine than that, run the pump for 1/2 hour or so to mix it while you're there, then turn it off for the day. You should be ok with 2x that chlorine level. I've read that much higher chlorine levels can damage vinyl liners, so don't get too crazy.

If you see that the pressure is rising fast enough that you'll need to backwash when you physically can't be there to do it and you have a multiport valve you can also put the valve in "Recirculate". It's not going to filter but it will help keep the chlorine circulating and is a better option than shutting down the pump during your SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

My TF-100 Test Kit was sitting at my door when I got home late last night. I know nothing about using this kit. Now, I could really use some help in getting this pool blue again. Up until yesterday, I have been putting about 2.5 gal of bleach 2X a day. As a result a lot of the darkness is disappearing and the water is looking a lot more clear. Now, I am seeing a lot of dark looking spots all around the floors and walls, I am guessing this is algae. So, I will be getting the old brush out and do some sweeping to see if I can make the pool look dirty again :)

So, if someone can guide me as to where to begin with this test kit, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!!!

How to VIDEOS !!!!! :lookhere: https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to beaten for saying this, but this is one of the few times I'd say take your water samples to the pool store and have them test it. Most pool stores can give you a decent read on pH and FC. These are the parameters you most need to get right at this point.

Never beat someone for having a good idea. Having your own FAS-DPD is the best but if they don't have one and you have a choice to go by strips or a pool store I'm all for recommending a pool store. You do what you gotta' do.

First you need to lower your PH with acid into the low 7's. 7.2 would be ideal.
Your shock level for a CYA of 20 is 10. You could raise your CYA to 30. You'll get a little better protection from the sun burning your chlorine off there. The shock level for 30 is 12. Don't forget to follow the SLAM process to the T. ?

This is so frustrating. I put Ma in my pool to lower PH from 8.2 and when I retest I get 6.8. SLAM instructions say. I need to get 7.2 - 7.5. No matter what I try nothing seems to work. I have done every thing the SLAM instructions say. Still nothing. Awgh -:( I am about to throw in the towel. Here is the latest results after adding the MA:

FC = .5

PH = 6.8

CYA = 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not true. You have an FAS/DPD test kit. You can read very high FC levels with it. Look at post number 25. The link gives you videos on your kit. There is also complete instructions with your kit.

"Not true. You have an FAS/DPD test kit. You can read very high FC levels with it. Look at post number 25. The link gives you videos on your kit. There is also complete instructions with your kit."

Sorry to appear so ignorant. I will try not to be such a pest on here anymore. I am very unfamiliar with this process and am TRYING my best to grasp all this. Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Wasn't meant to sound like that.
Your doing fine. Ask any questions you have. Nobody was born knowing this stuff. Your not being a pest either !
We're all here to help you along with this. ?

"Not true. You have an FAS/DPD test kit. You can read very high FC levels with it. Look at post number 25. The link gives you videos on your kit. There is also complete instructions with your kit."

Sorry to appear so ignorant. I will try not to be such a pest on here anymore. I am very unfamiliar with this process and am TRYING my best to grasp all this. Thanks for your feedback.

Your doing fine. This stuff isn't rocket science but it does take a lot of practice to get it right. The key is patience which is really hard to have when your battling an algae outbreak and trying to squeeze every last day you can out of your swim season.

SLAMs are the most aggravating processes to engage in. They work great and the science behind them is sound but they will try your patience worse that a 2-yr old on a temper tantrum. They start off quick and then you enter the stagnant phase where you honestly think nothing is happening because your numbers seem to never change. Unlike the pool stores which make you believe you can cure your pool water ills with one bag of "magic mix", the SLAM is just quietly working away in the background and not giving you much to look at.

It's frustrating as all H-E-double hockey sticks but it does work and you'll get there. We here on TFP have the blessings of experience and past SLAMing success so we can often forget that we can easily come off sounding preachy. We want to help you, so please keep posting results and we'll do all the best we can to advise and encourage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Your doing fine. This stuff isn't rocket science but it does take a lot of practice to get it right. The key is patience which is really hard to have when your battling an algae outbreak and trying to squeeze every last day you can out of your swim season.

SLAMs are the most aggravating processes to engage in. They work great and the science behind them is sound but they will try your patience worse that a 2-yr old on a temper tantrum. They start off quick and then you enter the stagnant phase where you honestly think nothing is happening because your numbers seem to never change. Unlike the pool stores which make you believe you can cure your pool water ills with one bag of "magic mix", the SLAM is just quietly working away in the background and not giving you much to look at.

It's frustrating as all H-E-double hockey sticks but it does work and you'll get there. We here on TFP have the blessings of experience and past SLAMing success so we can often forget that we can easily come off sounding preachy. We want to help you, so please keep posting results and we'll do all the best we can to advise and encourage. Your doing fine. This stuff isn't rocket science but it does take a lot of practice to get it right. The key is patience which is really hard to have when your battling an algae outbreak and trying to squeeze every last day you can out of your swim season.

It's frustrating as all H-E-double hockey sticks but it does work and you'll get there. We here on TFP have the blessings of experience and past SLAMing success so we can often forget that we can easily come off sounding preachy. We want to help you, so please keep posting results and we'll do all the best we can to advise and encourage."

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will definitely hang in there. I have too much invested at this point.

BTW - Just an FYI - my wife is from Tucson, she attended Sunnyside HS.

When you vacuum the pool, as I understand the process, you need to hook the house into the skimmer. My skimmer has 2 holes and I don't have a clue which is which. Also, the previous owners left a vacuum that has 2 plastic sections with brushes on them, the 2 pieces don't seem to match up. So, I am a bit confused. I would like to vacuum some of the algae off the bottom of the pool in hopes that it will help speed up the slam process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.