Colchester,Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I am SLAMing to start the season. Opened the cover to a pretty clear pool. Vacuumed up the minimal debris.
Pre SLAM testing:
CYA: 60
TA: 70
pH: 7.4

Trying to keep FC at 24 to SLAM. When I do repeat water testing to keep up the FC my CC has consistently been CC: 0.
My OCLT results have been 1.5.
Do I just keep up the SLAM until I get a difference of exactly 1 or less?
Also, when I do a repeat test for FC a few minutes later to confirm my results, I often get a variation of 1 or so. What is the +/- factor for accuracy in these readings?

POOL: 7600 above ground, cartridge filter, SWG

Do I just keep up the SLAM until I get a difference of exactly 1 or less?
Correct. Besides the clear water and CCs of 0.5 or less, you want to pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test wit no more than 1 ppm loss overnight.

As for the FC test, once you do the test, it's done. If you let the solution sit it will change colors again. Just disregard that.

Correct. Besides the clear water and CCs of 0.5 or less, you want to pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test wit no more than 1 ppm loss overnight.

As for the FC test, once you do the test, it's done. If you let the solution sit it will change colors again. Just disregard that.
I do know it will change colors if it sits. What I find frustrating is getting another sample for testing immediately after I do a test, and the second FC test results will vary by one or two points. I am using the speed stir and trying to be consistent, so it I would hope the results would match.

Reactions: KJB1
I do know it will change colors if it sits. What I find frustrating is getting another sample for testing immediately after I do a test, and the second FC test results will vary by one or two points. I am using the speed stir and trying to be consistent, so it I would hope the results would match.
I have the same issue, especially at SLAM level. I don’t have a steady hand so I think that may be part of it. Just try to do the test exactly the same every time.

What I find frustrating is getting another sample for testing immediately after I do a test, and the second FC test results will vary by one or two points. I am using the speed stir and trying to be consistent, so it I would hope the results would match.
When you say getting another sample, do you mean from the pool itself to do a 2nd test?

When you say getting another sample, do you mean from the pool itself to do a 2nd test?
Yes. I try to be consistent in my testing: get the second sample at same location in the pool just past the filter return, add drops slowly, keep the same white background for good contrast.

Yes. I try to be consistent in my testing: get the second sample at same location in the pool just past the filter return, add drops slowly, keep the same white background
Yes. I try to be consistent in my testing: get the second sample at same location in the pool just past the filter return, add drops slowly, keep the same white background for good contrast.
Sorry I can’t help other than say I have the same issue. Usually only off a drop or 2 out of 20 or more but it’s annoying. Like I said, I have shaky hands so nothing I can do other than recruit the wife or son and they aren’t interested in testing constantly

All, the best advice, and it took me a while to get, is to a) keep the reagent bottle vertical and 2) SLOOOOOOOW down the dropping of the drops. Not even really a squeeze, more a gently persuasion of the drops. Let them form slowly and drop of their own accord.

I find if I count one one thousand (slowly), drop, two one thousand, drop, I will get consistent drops and results. You want the drops to hang and "fall." This is the method for consistent results. Hope that helps!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.