SLAM Stalled

KKell

Jul 12, 2015
Rochester, NY
So I'm in the same boat. We've been keeping the pool at SLAM level for 2.5 weeks now and you still can't see the bottom of the pool, and progress in clearing seems to have stopped. With a hair net you can see that some bleached out dead algea are still floating around, and even with DE applications to the sand filter its just not getting clear. We didn't manage to close the pool last winter and had leaves, thick green tufts of algae, and two dead squirrels in it for 7 months. There is just a ton of organic material that dissolved in the pool and it feels like the filter + DE isn't cutting it. Hence we're just thinking about going with clarifier to get the rest of the particulates out. After 2.5 weeks of slamming (testing and re-applying chlorine 2-3 times per day) I would be really surprised if any algae is still alive in there.

In terms of price, the SeaKlear is only $17 and we've been having to put an average of one gallon of $4.50 bleach in every day (more like two bottles a day in the beginning, half to 3/4 of a bottle now) to maintain the SLAM with sunlight attacking the chlorine. I'd really like to be able to go down to regular levels soon.

For reference, testing results:

CYA: 40 (started at 45 but we've backwashed at least 10 times already so it's gone down some)
TA: 60
PH: ~ 7.4, but given the SLAM I understand the test isn't fully accurate
CHL: 16

Pool is above ground 24 foot round with around 13.5K galllons

After 2.5 weeks of slamming (testing and re-applying chlorine 2-3 times per day) I would be really surprised if any algae is still alive in there.
Given your description of the state of the pool, I would not be so quick to jump to that conclusion. If you cannot see the bottom I bet there's still plenty down there that's allowing algae to hide and multiply.

You let it sit stagnant for 7 months and waited until well in to the warm season to start working on it, of course it's going to take a while to clear up.

> well in to the warm season

We get snow/frost in May here. Its typical to open the pool around memorial day weekend.

But even given that, I've never seen anyone on the forum say something about a three week SLAM process. If you should actually expect a SLAM to sometimes take 3 or 3.5 weeks that might be something to put in the info posts. From other's testimonials and my own past experience I've rarely seen anyone needing to go longer than around 2.5 weeks. And if I was at a point where the water was mostly clear but still a bit milky I could understand that, but to still not see the bottom at this point makes me think the amount of small particulates are an issue all on their own apart from algae growth. The pool is just round with no ladder in it, we vacuum/brush at least once a day, so there isn't a "dead spot" anywhere for things to hide out.

Have you tried a deep clean of the sand filter? I've seen some people report that when their progress stalls, a deep clean of the sand is enough to get the last of the cloudiness out.

Have you tried a deep clean of the sand filter? I've seen some people report that when their progress stalls, a deep clean of the sand is enough to get the last of the cloudiness out.
I haven't tried that yet. I got new sand last year and cleaned it when I took the equipment down, so it only has the gunk from opening (-backwashing) in it. And I always thought a dirty sand filter actually filters better. But maybe I'll have a chance to try that this weekend.

Do you remember by chance if the progress stalled was at the stage of seeing the bottom but still cloudy, or where I'm at where the pool looks like white mountain water that is blue/white but you can't see the bottom?

Not off-hand, no, but it's possible that something gunked up the sand since you last cleaned it out. Dirty sand does filter better, but that's talking about larger particulate at the top of the sand to catch the smaller particulate. If something is creating channels in the sand, it would just let dirty water back through the sand without filtering it, which I suspect is what is being fixed when someone cleans out the sand and finds it progressing better.

It's certainly not a guarantee it'll fix everything but might as well rule it out as an issue.

@KKell Well, I'm right across the lake from you in Canada so a similar climate and I opened at the very beginning of May. Like you, we can have frost in May. I wanted to open earlier but was a bit concerned about the cool temps so I waited until May. I wish I had opened earlier though as my pool was green even with a water temp in the low 50's. Most days in April are still cool here but we did have a few that bounced up into the 70's which most likely triggered Algae growth. So my pool was green and I did run the SLAM for close to 3 weeks. It's taken until now for my pool to get perfectly clear. My pool is a fair size but not anything overly large but I do believe it pushed my sand filter to the limits to clear it up. I did a deep clean about 1/2 way through and I believe that helped. Still took a long time though and was pretty frustrating - Wife asked me a couple times if I was sure I knew what I am doing LOL. Water is now crystal clear but what I've learned is that a sand filter takes a long time to clear the water. I didn't add any DE or anything else - Just let the filter do it's thing with backwashes as required. Each year when the pool company closed the pool it was green too so I didn't do any worse than them :). My pool is in an open area directly facing south so it takes sun all day. This fall I'm going to make sure to get that FC up into the high range of SLAM when I close and I'll probably try to add a little chlorine over the winter months as well. I will try to open mid April next year to help eliminate this issue - as long as I keep the pump running and water moving I believe I should be fine.

Stay the course... I know its frustrating but with elevated chlorine and constant filtering, it should come around soon.

KKell, I can't speak to your exact situation but, far and away, the most common reason for the SLAM to take seemingly forever is because the SLAM procedure is not followed to the letter, Everything (and most importantly chlorine) must be kept at the correct level and all the mechanical (brushing, vacuum) issues followed.

It is possible your filter or pump doesn't have as much capacity to keep the process going normally.
Did you say you have backwashed 3-4 times? What was the trigger that caused you to backwash?

@Duraleight - I agree - I'm not gonna lie and tell you that I following the SLAM to the letter of the law either. I did try to do so as much as possible. For certain I kept chlorine levels elevated to around 12ppm FC but I didn't do this every couple of hours. I would do it morning and night - weekend's I did much better. I also could have brushed a bit more than I did. Life/work happens though so I did the best that I could during the week. If I could have babysat the pool more during the week, I'm sure I could have speed this up but I still believe the sand filter takes a long time. I'm looking into other filter options but when I really think about it, I know that the sand filter works well for most of the season so why not put the effort into preventing it from happening in the first place. That's where I'm at now.

That's where I'm at now.
And you're in a good place. You have the idea now just execute the best you can and this will work out.

Since you are clearing so slowly, let's review your circulatory system.

What size filter (or model # ) is that?
How hard are you running your VS pump?
Any visible bubbles in the pump basket?
What's your psi
What trigger do you use to know when to backwash?

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And you're in a good place. You have the idea now just execute the best you can and this will work out.

Since you are clearing so slowly, let's review your circulatory system.

What size filter (or model # ) is that?
How hard are you running your VS pump?
Any visible bubbles in the pump basket?
What's your psi
What trigger do you use to know when to backwash?

Following this thread, too. I can empathize. Seems like I’m in same boat, with very similar numbers. Except you got me beat with two dead squirrels vs one. :)

Going to go broke with the amount of bleach I’m going through. Regretting not draining and refilling earlier. Details of my adventure linked in post below.
Good luck!

Thread '3 weeks of SLAM, still cloudy :('
3 weeks of SLAM, still cloudy :(

But even given that, I've never seen anyone on the forum say something about a three week SLAM process. If you should actually expect a SLAM to sometimes take 3 or 3.5 weeks that might be something to put in the info posts. From other's testimonials and my own past experience I've rarely seen anyone needing to go longer than around 2.5 weeks.
I'll say it, mine always seems to take at least the 2.5-3 weeks. Sand filter, probably needs to be taken apart and cleaned, maybe worse. Also a 26k gallon pool, and not always home to test/dose more than 3x a day. Super annoying seeing all of the "I did a 48 hr SLAM, all set!" posts when I'm on week 3 :) Especially with bleach costing 2x what it normally does this year.

I find that sometimes using a little Diatomaceous Earth in the filter will get some of that cloudiness out if it's going badly. Gotta watch filter pressure and backwash once it goes up too high, but can definitely be a nice boost to help get small stuff if the filter isn't quite getting it done.

@Scout101 - almost identical to what I find as well. Once I get the pool clear and running, rarely have to SLAM as I don't usually let the pool get out of range. First SLAM of the year though takes a long time. I works, just takes longer than I'd like. I think a mid summer SLAM might be a lot quicker but hopefully I don't have to find out.

Yep, I'm almost always at 2-3 weeks, occasionally a little longer just fighting for that last little bit of FC at the end in a OCLT. But once i'm there, really haven't had to do much of ANYTHING to the pool for the summer aside from occasionally lowering the PH. Painful few weeks of constant testing (and $5 bottles of bleach), but at least I don't have to bounce back into SLAMs constantly. SWG is really a life saver for that, think it helps keep everything more even-keeled so there aren't daily swings that allow algae a chance to gain a foothold.

I also opened later than usual this year, plus it was hot early this summer. Usually just a little algae and some dead worms in there, but top of the water got hot under the cover this year (mesh, but still) and I had floating rafts of algae to deal with, so knew this wouldn't be a quick one. One of these years I'll get smarter and open much earlier so SLAM is done well before growing season, but always so much to do. Also I fight stringy things that rain from the oak trees and clog the skimmers, so usually a balance between temp and trying to wait out most of those first. I out waited the oaks this year, but went too far with the temps...

Reactions: Edge70
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.