SLAM now? Or give it a day or two?

Is there any danger in putting too much FC over target during the process
No because Mustard Algae SLAM is safe for 24 hours, but regular SLAM was optimized for efficiency. If you go over, more goes to waste and it quickly becomes counterproductive. It won't help like you're hoping.

Reactions: DJowers
Okay, so the last few days have finally yielded some HUGE improvements...I think raising my target FC and swapping out the filters every 12 hours made the difference. Water is still not 100% clear (just a little cloudy, but no hint of green at all), but if progress continues, I would expect that in the next day or two. Now, I have some new questions. I'm a little suspicious that I may have had mustard algae based on some descriptions I have read, but am not entirely sure. Would you recommend treating it as though it was mustard to be on safe side? If so, my understanding is that I still need to proceed with regular SLAM until I meet the 3 criteria for being done and THEN raise the FC to mustard shock level for an additional 24 hours...is that correct? During those 24 hours, is it still safe to get in the pool or are those chlorine levels too high? The only easy way for me to really brush down the walls of this pool is from within the pool (walls are sloped inwards and I'm short :)) I haven't ever really noticed anything on the walls (mainly just the floor) and I realize that may be an indication that it was NOT mustard algae, but if taking the extra precaution could prevent having to go through this again, I'd rather do it now. Also, my understanding is that I also need to throw all of our noodles, dive rings, floats, equipment, ladder, etc into the pool while at MA shock level, correct? Is there anything else to be mindful of or any way to determine for sure if mustard algae was present?

Your plan is correct. I would not get in the pool at MA levels thought.

Let me also add once you are finished. I really recommend keeping your FC hot for a while. Not SLAM level but maybe 20% of your CYA. Just as a safety net. Most people end their SLAM too soon.

Reactions: Newdude
Finished up MA SLAM this morning, letting FC drift down now...fingers crossed everything stays nice and clear, especially with temps in the triple digits predicted for the next week...won't be able to do anything else but get in the pool :) Thanks to all for your recommendations and encouragement. As suggested, I will keep FC "hot" for a while as a precaution. How long should I do that? And then, after that, would you suggest I keep FC close to 8 going forward (that's the high end of the "recommended" range for my CYA)?

I know most everyone says it is fine to swim during regular SLAM, but not recommended during MA SLAM. What is the highest FC level you feel it is safe to swim in? Just curious as we would like to swim this afternoon if FC level comes down enough (was at 29 during MA SLAM and my 24 hrs ended at 7:30a this morning). It is bright and sunny, so I'm hoping that since I'm not adding bleach, by late afternoon it will possibly be down enough for us to get in.

And, what is the highest FC level at which I can test pH and TA and get reliable results?

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.