SLAM now? Or give it a day or two?

DJowers

Aug 26, 2021
Blythewood, SC
So, I'm a fairly new pool owner (Intex Easy Set 15' x 48") and am having my first experience with slightly green, cloudy water. I am not totally sure it is algae, but figured posting here would be a good place to start. Friday evening we had a surprise pop up thunderstorm that blew a TON of tree debris (catkins, leaves, etc) into the pool. I netted out what I could in the short amount of time I had before the next storm came up and covered it for the night (I usually cover the pool every night). The next morning I vacuumed, brushed and cleaned the remaining debris out as best I could. By yesterday afternoon it was starting to look a little cloudy and then today it was more cloudy (I can still see the bottom) with a slightly green hue. Testing wise, I also noticed that my pH was higher today (usually runs around 7.5 but was up to 7.8). My TA is always high, but usually my pH is still fairly stable. FC has not been below 2 and CC has not been above .5 in the weeks since I opened the pool. I'll list all of today's test numbers below. My question is, should I SLAM the pool now? Or, wait and see if my CC's start rising or cloudiness/green hue worsens? I went ahead and added dry acid today to get the pH down as well as putting in a new pump filter, so I don't know if that potentially could clear it up without SLAMming?

Also, as I mentioned, I usually cover every night to help keep bugs/debris out as well as conserve heat (we like our water warm). Could covering it every night be contributing to some of my issues? If a SLAM is needed, should I cover or leave uncovered during the process?

Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations!

FC = 3.5 (just added bleach to raise to 7, but usually add bleach each evening as needed to keep it around 5)
CC = .5
pH = 7.8 (retested this evening and it's already down to 7.2 from dry acid added earlier today)
TA = 160 (usually runs between 130 and 160)
CYA = 40
Water temp = this past week it has been hovering close to 90 degrees
Note: Testing with TF-100 Kit

An additional note/thought that just occurred to me...is it possible the green hue could be caused by pollen?? Our pollen season is mostly over BUT the bulk of the debris that the storm blew into the pool were dried catkins from a nearby pecan tree, which likely still had pollen on them.

I will definitely do the OCLT tonight and based on the results I get in the morning, proceed with SLAM process if necessary.

No, if you have enough algae, eukaryotic lifeforms, to cloud your water let alone turn it green then you will see a significant FC drop overnight compared to pecan pollen.

I added 10% bleach a couple hours ago to raise my FC to 7 and I just tested...FC is currently 6.5 and CC is pretty close to zero (I couldn't tell if the sample had a pink hue or not after adding reagent, so I know it is something <.5). Guess we'll see what the morning brings.

Reactions: Oly
7:30am Test Results
FC = 5.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.2

So, per the OCLT document, I may be okay since the FC loss was 1, right? I vacuumed and brushed again and will definitely let pump run all day. I'm attaching some pics for reference...it doesn't seem as cloudy but still has a slightly green tinge, but maybe I'm being paranoid. Based on the info, would you still SLAM? I just hate to SLAM if not necessary since it will mean we can't get in for a few days and the pool is our go to afternoon activity :(

Also, I would still love feedback concerning my covering practices.

Attachments

• 20220606_080614.jpg
    20220606_080614.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220606_080632.jpg
    20220606_080632.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220606_080831.jpg
    20220606_080831.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220606_080853.jpg
    20220606_080853.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 18
Cloudiness + Green = Algae about 96.68546% of the time.

The sooner you start the SLAM the faster it will end. Feel free to swim in a SLAM level pool, its perfectly safe.

You mentioned in your first that your FC had dropped to 2 with a CYA of 40 and 90 degree water that is a recipe for algae. I would set your minimum FC level at 10% of your CYA (also minimum means minimum, not recommended).

How do you tell the experts around here from the amateurs? Experts always run their FC hot, amateurs try to stay as close to the minimum as possible. Guess who has more algae problems?

Reactions: texasAUtiger

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cloudiness + Green = Algae about 96.68546% of the time.

The sooner you start the SLAM the faster it will end. Feel free to swim in a SLAM level pool, its perfectly safe.

You mentioned in your first that your FC had dropped to 2 with a CYA of 40 and 90 degree water that is a recipe for algae. I would set your minimum FC level at 10% of your CYA (also minimum means minimum, not recommended).

How do you tell the experts around here from the amateurs? Experts always run their FC hot, amateurs try to stay as close to the minimum as possible. Guess who has more algae problems?
I was just searching forums concerning being able to swim during SLAM process (I had just assumed you couldn't) and most said yes, it is fine, as long as FC is above minimum but below shock level. I thought the point of a SLAM was to maintain FC at shock level until water clears? So, is it okay to swim with FC at shock level or not? Or am I missing something?

I was just searching forums concerning being able to swim during SLAM process (I had just assumed you couldn't) and most said yes, it is fine, as long as FC is above minimum but below shock level. I thought the point of a SLAM was to maintain FC at shock level until water clears? So, is it okay to swim with FC at shock level or not? Or am I missing something?
Also, when my FC was 2, I was still in the process of raising my CYA, so it wasn't 40 yet, however, I won't let it get that low again for sure.

Shock level or SLAM level is calculated at 40% of your CYA. So your SLAM level for your CYA of 40 is 16. Perfectly safe to swim at SLAM level.

If you are a little skittish about that, you can lower the FC level while swimming and raise it back up again when you are done. Your SLAM will take longer, and you will use more chlorine.

Read this... Marty is also much smarter than me.

Reactions: Oly
Okay, so since this is my first time doing the SLAM process I'm not sure what to expect, but I did not expect that the pool would get cloudier. Is that normal? This morning before adding bleach to bring FC to shock level I could see the the grid pattern on the bottom of the pool. Now, it is visible, but barely. I know ideally I should have waited until this evening to start the process, but I was concerned about putting it off any longer. I've been checking FC regularly and adding bleach as necessary to keep FC at 16 (lowest result I've had since starting was 14.5, so it's been pretty close to 16 all day). Is the increase in cloudiness due to doing this during the day? Is it normal? Or is it an indication that something else is amiss? Obviously I will test again before going to bed and make sure FC is at 16, but typically I cover the pool at night. Should I leave it uncovered during the SLAM process?

I'm attaching another pic of side by side comparison of what it looked like this morning vs now.

Attachments

• 20220606_183654[40057].jpg
    20220606_183654[40057].jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 13
Cloudiness is algae dying. You are doing great, keep SLAMing.

You dont need to start a SLAM at night (dont know where that came from). General rule, start SLAM as soon as possible. The sooner you start the sooner you finish.

You can cover the pool at night if you want. But you need to keep it uncovered for at least a few hours during the day. It will need to breathe and the CC will need to burn off.

Reactions: Newdude
DJ, Just to back up a little, the pool store method of shocking means you can't swim. You don't know your baseline, or how much you changed it doing the ole 'dump and pray'. They tell you not to go in because the only thing they know is that they charged you $xxx.xx. So most of what you read elsewhere or are told by friends/etc will say to stay out of the pool when shocking.

But here. Here we use percision dosing and know exactly what we are telling you to do, based upon your reliable tests. So if you can see bottom to rescue a swimmer if need be, you may swim between minimim FC and SLAM.

DJ, Just to back up a little, the pool store method of shocking means you can't swim. You don't know your baseline, or how much you changed it doing the ole 'dump and pray'. They tell you not to go in because the only thing they know is that they charged you $xxx.xx. So most of what you read elsewhere or are told by friends/etc will say to stay out of the pool when shocking.

But here. Here we use percision dosing and know exactly what we are telling you to do, based upon your reliable tests. So if you can see bottom to rescue a swimmer if need be, you may swim between minimim FC and SLAM.
Thank you, that's helpful. I think the reason I assumed you couldn't swim during SLAM was because I thought I remembered reading at some point that a FC level of 10 or higher was not safe to swim in, and, obviously during SLAM process it would be above that. Glad I know otherwise now.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok, so continuing with SLAM process as I'm not seeing much improvement yet. This morning there were noticeable greenish-yellow streaks on pool floor, which I'm assuming is algae. The vacuum didn't do much, but brushing got it off the floor and stirred into water so hopefully filter will catch. I also noticed more of a film on the surface of the water today that when I pass through with my net, leaves a greenish residue on the mesh. Is this a sign that the algae is still actively growing? Or a sign that it is being killed?

Also, I noticed that overnight I did not lose any FC, which I thought meant things were working, but is it normal for pool to take several days to clear and there to still be streaks on the bottom?

How's the pollen by you ? You could have multiple battles going on at the moment. Of it could be the filtering part of thr fight which tested everyone's patience who ever Slam'd.

How often are you testing and adding ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.