slam help!

Yes using 10% pool chlorinating liquid. FC test now is 2.5. I don’t know how to keep up with the chlorine this pool is consuming…
I’m up to 13 gallons today alone. I’m feeling like I can’t keep up and
Yes using 10% pool chlorinating liquid. FC test now is 2.5. I don’t know how to keep up with the chlorine this pool is consuming…

Attachments

• IMG_7043.png
    IMG_7043.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
I’m up to 13 gallons today alone. I’m feeling like I can’t keep up and
Just to double check, can you describe how you are testing? Make sure you aren’t letting the sample sit for very long. Once it’s gone clear, it’ll turn pink again if you let it sit,

Reactions: summertimesadness
Confirm your CYA is 40? If it isn't, you need more LC than what is recommended. Also, the high UV isn't helping. You should be testing more frequent to get an idea of what is happening in your water.

Just to double check, can you describe how you are testing? Make sure you aren’t letting the sample sit for very long. Once it’s gone clear, it’ll turn pink again if you let it sit,
I have been collecting my water sample and filling to the 10ml mark. I add a scoop of powder and swirl until mostly dissolved and water is pink. Then 1 add 1 drop of R 0871, swirl and repeat until the water is clear. Am I waiting too long between drops? I’ve watched videos where the person is just swirling and letting the drops fall in one after another?

I have been collecting my water sample and filling to the 10ml mark. I add a scoop of powder and swirl until mostly dissolved and water is pink. Then 1 add 1 drop of R 0871, swirl and repeat until the water is clear. Am I waiting too long between drops? I’ve watched videos where the person is just swirling and letting the drops fall in one after another?
I just rewatched the TF pool video on FC testing. Doing the test just like the video, I’m up to 7.5 FC and additional 3 gallons of 10% bleach

I can relate. I am having trouble keeping any FC in my pool although it is as clear as can be and all levels are where they should be except FC. I started a SLAM this morning after following the instructions on this website. I have went thru 15 gals of 10% LC and still can not get FC above 4.
CYA was at 40 when I started SLAM this morning and POOL MATH said add 5 gallons LC.
Levels at start of SLAM this morning tested with Taylor K2006.

FC-0.2
PH-7.2
TA- 90
CYA- 40

I opened yesterday and added 11 pounds (11 gal of 12.5%) Seems like a lot but it is not. this morning the chlorine in the 20's so now just wait for the sand to filter it out. Stick with it your sand will filter it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try a water treatment supply company or look for commercial pool suppliers, see if you can get 12.5%, sodium hypochlorite.

I opened yesterday and added 11 pounds (11 gal of 12.5%) Seems like a lot but it is not. this morning the chlorine in the 20's so now just wait for the sand to filter it out. Stick with it your sand will filter it.
Thank you for the encouragement. I am trying. The amount I’m spending on bleach right now is not maintainable. I hope I can slow down the additions soon or I’m not sure what I am going to do.

I have been collecting my water sample and filling to the 10ml mark. I add a scoop of powder and swirl until mostly dissolved and water is pink. Then 1 add 1 drop of R 0871, swirl and repeat until the water is clear. Am I waiting too long between drops? I’ve watched videos where the person is just swirling and letting the drops fall in one after anothe

You should add a heaping scoop of powder and swirl it until the sample is pink. There should be some grains in that that aren’t dissolved. It should just take a second to swirl after each drop, or if you know it’s not going to go clear right away swirl after every two drops until it’s close and then try after every drop. It shouldn’t take much swirling.

I have been collecting my water sample and filling to the 10ml mark. I add a scoop of powder and swirl until mostly dissolved and water is pink. Then 1 add 1 drop of R 0871, swirl and repeat until the water is clear. Am I waiting too long between drops? I’ve watched videos where the person is just swirling and letting the drops fall in one after anothe

You should add a heaping scoop of powder and swirl it until the sample is pink. There should be some grains in there that aren’t dissolved. It should just take a second to swirl after each drop, or if you know it’s not going to go clear right away swirl after every two drops until it’s close and then try after every drop. It shouldn’t take much swirling.

Thank you for the encouragement. I am trying. The amount I’m spending on bleach right now is not maintainable. I hope I can slow down the additions soon or I’m not sure what I am going to do.

Inspiration perhaps… pool is Crystal clear now.

Hello! I am a new pool owner as of last year. Bought a house with a approx 33,000gal Fox kidney shaped vinyl inground Pool from the 80’s. Last year we didn’t really know anything and had clear water for most of the season, somehow. This year I decided to learn the basics of pool chemistry from this site, bought a TF 100 test kit but somehow I’m more discouraged than ever. We made some mistakes when opening the pool- took tarp off, ignored for a couple weeks, had water delivered and mostly ignored for the next almost week. Lesson learned. So pool is very cloudy and turquoise color. So I have started water testing at home and have attempted to slam since Friday. The problem is, I am following the TF slam chart based on my CYA of 40 and I can’t seem to make any progress. I am vacuuming, backwashing and brushing daily. I don’t see visible algae anywhere on surfaces. We have an approx 20 yr old Triton II sand filter. Not sure if age is a factor? The biggest issue is I can’t hold shock levels of FC to save my life. I doing additions based on pool math calculator and added 4 gal 10% bleach this morning at 7am. I should have gotten up to 16 after morning additions (now 930am). I was at 3.5 FC and 2 hours later FC is 4. I am trying not to give up but after already spending 100s on chlorine I’m afraid I am missing something because this just doesn’t make sense to me. Help!!!
1 week in. Trust the process and slam on 🤣

Attachments

• 74AA9A1F-2CC3-44D2-B1BF-7FCBFAC94C32.jpeg
    74AA9A1F-2CC3-44D2-B1BF-7FCBFAC94C32.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: UnderWaterVanya
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.