slam help!

Katielaw87

May 31, 2023
Plano,IL
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I am a new pool owner as of last year. Bought a house with a approx 33,000gal Fox kidney shaped vinyl inground Pool from the 80’s. Last year we didn’t really know anything and had clear water for most of the season, somehow. This year I decided to learn the basics of pool chemistry from this site, bought a TF 100 test kit but somehow I’m more discouraged than ever. We made some mistakes when opening the pool- took tarp off, ignored for a couple weeks, had water delivered and mostly ignored for the next almost week. Lesson learned. So pool is very cloudy and turquoise color. So I have started water testing at home and have attempted to slam since Friday. The problem is, I am following the TF slam chart based on my CYA of 40 and I can’t seem to make any progress. I am vacuuming, backwashing and brushing daily. I don’t see visible algae anywhere on surfaces. We have an approx 20 yr old Triton II sand filter. Not sure if age is a factor? The biggest issue is I can’t hold shock levels of FC to save my life. I doing additions based on pool math calculator and added 4 gal 10% bleach this morning at 7am. I should have gotten up to 16 after morning additions (now 930am). I was at 3.5 FC and 2 hours later FC is 4. I am trying not to give up but after already spending 100s on chlorine I’m afraid I am missing something because this just doesn’t make sense to me. Help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7040.jpeg
    IMG_7040.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7003.jpeg
    IMG_7003.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7002.jpeg
    IMG_7002.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Remember, even if the APP says you need to add 4 gallons to go from say zero to 16 ppm, that's not including competition from algae. As soon as you dumped that 4 gallon in the pool, algae was consuming it. In the early part of the SLAM Process you need to test a bit more frequently until you see without a doubt the chlorine is starting to help a bit better. Once you get past that initial battle period, it should stabilizer.

You have the right idea and right test kit, just need to be a little more aggressive in this early stage, then you'll see better results.

Reactions: NicoleLove2Swim
Thank you! Your prompt response already has me feeling a little better. Makes sense as I am sure there is tons of organic matter in the pool. I’m picking up chlorine on my lunch break and adding in a couple hours!

Not to get distracted from the chlorine issue, there is the filter. This is a "new-to-you" pool with an existing sand filter. No telling what the previous owners added to the water and that sand. So keep this in mind. Once you get the chlorine to start holding, give it a few days to show improvement, but also watch the filter. If it has a pressure gauge, it should show increases when you need to backwash. The needle should go to zero when off. As for the sand, you may need to open the filter near the end of the SLAM to either give it a thorough deep cleaning, or even might have to replace it if it appears to be gummy. Previous owners may have used floc or clarifiers in the past.

We can cross that bridge later, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

During SLAM, I typically test ~30mins after adding, you should add more then LC than just what the calculator tells you. Once you dump LC, it's being consumed by algae.

I think you need to use way more Chlorine. My pool is a 6,500 gallon vinyl liner/sand filter and I use (2) gallons of 12.5% and that gets me to FC level of 20. I’m still new at this so wait for the other more experienced to give some advice.
I’m doing it based on app. Total yesterday was 9 gallons. I only had time to test twice and I think that it where I am failing. Trying to get more frequent testing and additions today. I haven’t had enough chlorine to keep up. Went through 20 gallons over the weekend.

Not to get distracted from the chlorine issue, there is the filter. This is a "new-to-you" pool with an existing sand filter. No telling what the previous owners added to the water and that sand. So keep this in mind. Once you get the chlorine to start holding, give it a few days to show improvement, but also watch the filter. If it has a pressure gauge, it should show increases when you need to backwash. The needle should go to zero when off. As for the sand, you may need to open the filter near the end of the SLAM to either give it a thorough deep cleaning, or even might have to replace it if it appears to be gummy. Previous owners may have used floc or clarifiers in the past.

We can cross that bridge later, I just wanted to give you a heads up.
Thank you so much! We are looking into a new filter. Or may be worth cleaning first?Any resources/recommendations there? Stick with sand?

Below is the link for the sand deep clean if/when the time comes. If it comes to that, we'll be glad to help. As long as the filter vessel is structurally sound with no leaks, replacing the sane should be good. Sometimes you have parts that need to be replaced, but we can address those later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at Post #1, you have a large pool. It's going to take a lot of chlorine. Just one of the things that comes with a situation like this. For some people, replacing some water is an option to help try and get a better jump on the SLAM Process and try to save some chlorine. I'm not saying you have to, but for some people water is much cheaper. Your signature is blank so I don't see all of your pool details, but if you are on a well in your area then that probably wouldn't be an option. But when you get a chance, please try to update your signature. See mine as an example. If you don't see your sig, you may be on a phone and need to run it sideways to landscape.

Looking at Post #1, you have a large pool. It's going to take a lot of chlorine. Just one of the things that comes with a situation like this. For some people, replacing some water is an option to help try and get a better jump on the SLAM Process and try to save some chlorine. I'm not saying you have to, but for some people water is much cheaper. Your signature is blank so I don't see all of your pool details, but if you are on a well in your area then that probably wouldn't be an option. But when you get a chance, please try to update your signature. See mine as an example. If you don't see your sig, you may be on a phone and need to run it sideways to landscape.
Thank you! I have updated. I will add that I am on a well.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Ah ok. Just wanted to rule out ammonia if it wasn't holding FC at all and your CYA was 0 at opening.

Definitely increase testing per the SLAM instructions if you can. Also, do you have any lights or ladders in the pool? If so, you'll want to pull those and clean them for any hidden algae.

Each filter type has it's pros and cons. This link may help you decide if you're consider replacing.

Ah ok. Just wanted to rule out ammonia if it wasn't holding FC at all and your CYA was 0 at opening.

Definitely increase testing per the SLAM instructions if you can. Also, do you have any lights or ladders in the pool? If so, you'll want to pull those and clean them for any hidden algae.

Each filter type has it's pros and cons. This link may help you decide if you're consider replacing.
I have scrubbed the lights, have not installed ladders yet and will not until slam is complete! Thanks for the link!

Below is the link for the sand deep clean if/when the time comes. If it comes to that, we'll be glad to help. As long as the filter vessel is structurally sound with no leaks, replacing the sane should be good. Sometimes you have parts that need to be replaced, but we can address those later.

Thank you!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks! I love the big pool but the amount of Chlorine has been intimidating. Based on other members comments though it sounds like I’m on track. I wish the chlorine was a little cheaper lol. Good luck to you!
Make sure you are using chlorinating liquid that’s 10-12% and not the grocery store bleach with fabric softeners in it. That’ll at least help with the jug lugging. Once you get rid of the algae it won’t need so much.

Make sure you are using chlorinating liquid that’s 10-12% and not the grocery store bleach with fabric softeners in it. That’ll at least help with the jug lugging. Once you get rid of the algae it won’t need so much.
Yes using 10% pool chlorinating liquid. FC test now is 2.5. I don’t know how to keep up with the chlorine this pool is consuming…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.