SLAM Guidance...

swalla02

May 15, 2023
Des Moines
Hello experts -

Second year of owning pool, first year of performing an official "opening". Apologies for the lengthy post, but want to give clear info.

I'm following the SLAM method in an effort to get to the recommended SLAM FC level of 12:
Started 5/10 p.m.
Initial pH: 7.5
CYA: 0
FC: 0

Added 5lb stabilizer
Got CYA up to the recommended level of 30 and that level has maintained at each testing.

5/10 9:00 p.m.
Added 6gal 6% liquid chlorine

5/11 7:30 a.m.
FC: 0.5
Added 4gal 6% liquid chlorine

5/11 10:30 a.m.
FC: 0.5
Added 6 gal 7.5% liquid chlorine

5/11 1:30 p.m.
FC: 1.5
Added 5gal 7.5% liquid chlorine

5/11 4/30 p.m.
FC: 1.0
Added 6gal 7.5% liquid chlorine

If i understand correctly, it would be expected for the FC to dip as reflected in the 4:30p.m. test given super sunny here today. However, my question is:

Am I doing something wrong - i.e., should i continue to be patient and slow and steady in adding the recommended incremental bleach amoutns at each testing, or will doing so never get it to the recommended level of 12? OR, should i go nuclear and add a metric sh*t ton of bleach to try and hit 12 and maintain it until overnight chlorine loss tests show a stable level? Fear I'm wasting time and $$ by adding roughly 6 gallons at each timing with very minimal increase in the FC results. Side note - the water is definitely getting clearer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You need shorter test intervals to speed things along, especially at first. See how you're finding next to no FC when you test ? That's stalled action right there and probably was for a while before too.

Can you see the bottom ? Does anything scoop out ? Crud will chew through FC and needs to go asap.

Don't test the CYA anymore unless you feel you've replaced a bunch of water from backwashing.

You need shorter test intervals to speed things along, especially at first. See how you're finding next to no FC when you test ? That's stalled action right there and probably was for a while before too.

Can you see the bottom ? Does anything scoop out ? Crud will chew through FC and needs to go asap.

Don't test the CYA anymore unless you feel you've replaced a bunch of water from backwashing.
Can't see the bottom yet but is getting progressively clearer.

The pool company did come out for a 'soft opening' and vaccumed it with a portable vaccum not using my filter. I've backwashed it once today with minimal water loss. (tried to avoid paying for anything I can do myself)

Reactions: newdude
Do you have a manual vac ? Go to town with it in the hopes of finding a few spots they missed. It's a huge area to vac, effectively with your eyes closed.

I'd also be brushing with each dose, with it as bad as it is.

Go right until bedtime with the frequent doses. (An hour or two, the testing will tell you) Late in the afternoon and all night you aren't battling the sun and the algae, just the algae.

As the process plays out, the dose will mostly hold for 2 hours, so go to 3 hours testing. Then 4, 6, 8, etc as they all hold too.

Do you have a manual vac ? Go to town with it in the hopes of finding a few spots they missed. It's a huge area to vac, effectively with your eyes closed.

I'd also be brushing with each dose, with it as bad as it is.

Go right until bedtime with the frequent doses. (An hour or two, the testing will tell you) Late in the afternoon and all night you aren't battling the sun and the algae, just the algae.

As the process plays out, the dose will mostly hold for 2 hours, so go to 3 hours testing. Then 4, 6, 8, etc as they all hold too.
Yes - have manual vac i can use.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Just a FYI when you initiate a slam you add the FC according to poolmath then you need to check at 10 minute intervals till you can hold the slam level. After that it would be best every 2 hours to test only FC loss and no othere tests but keep topping off the CYA level to match slam. Brushing the pool well twice daily is of high importance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a FYI when you initiate a slam you add the FC according to poolmath then you need to check at 10 minute intervals till you can hold the slam level. After that it would be best every 2 hours to test only FC loss and no othere tests but keep topping off the CYA level to match slam. Brushing the pool well twice daily is of high importance.
Thanks for all the feedback. Levels went up to 11 to 15 off and on today with hourly testing, brushing the sides, and pool bot vacuuming constantly.

Appreciate all the input here!

Levels went up to 11 to 15 off and on today with hourly testing,
No DOUBT much more progress was made than dropping near 0 FC many times yesterday. Even if it's not visible progress, I promise you that you covered alot more ground today. :salut:

So I’m on day 7 of SLAM and the water is definitely much better but the clarity is just not getting crystal clear to what it should be compared to last season.

Most recent OCLT yielded:
5/17 pm
FC = 22.5
CC = .5

5/18 am
FC = 17
CC = 0

Brushing, skimmers empty, bot running through the day, sand filter backwashed daily.

My wife is pushing to dump half the water and start over but I am standing on staying the course. BUT…am burning through bleach to maintain SLAM level at or above 12. Just checking to make sure I’m not missing something - I know all the threads here say patience is key and you all probably get tired of reiterating that…

So I’m on day 7 of SLAM and the water is definitely much better but the clarity is just not getting crystal clear to what it should be compared to last season.

5/17 pm
FC = 22.5
CC = .5

5/18 am
FC = 17
CC = 0

Brushing, skimmers empty, bot running through the day, sand filter backwashed daily.

My wife is pushing to dump half the water and start over but I am standing on staying the course. BUT…am burning through bleach to maintain SLAM level at or above 12. Just checking to make sure I’m not missing something - I know all the threads here say patience is key and you all probably get tired of reiterating that…
Whats your CYA level? If SLAM is 12ppm why is your FC at 17 and 22.5? Going above SLAM level just wastes chlorine. The goal is to replenish the FC to SLAM level several times per day, not go so far above that it never goes below SLAM level.

5/17 pm
FC = 22.5
CC = .5

5/18 am
FC = 17
CC = 0

Its also really hard to pass an OCLT when FC is above SLAM level. Read the SLAM article again and note that its fine to swim during a SLAM (if you can see bottom for swimmer rescue) so theres no reason to give up early. Just stop overdosing the chlorine. 😉

I know all the threads here say patience is key and you all probably get tired of reiterating that…
See ? We don't have to reiterate when you say it yourself. THANKS. :hug:

To help speed the filter along,

I am seeing some "cloudy" information in this thread

1. What are we checking at 10 minute intervals and why? I don't get that
2. Establish the CYA at around 30 and don't test it again until OCLT is passed......there is no need
3. Backwash only when psi increases 25% from clean......more frequently is complete overkill.
4. OCLT should not be perform until your water is crystal clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support