Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hey guys, my skimmer was replaced when the pool store opened it this spring (only 2nd season, im learning so i can do it myself next year but im not sure im confident to do it) a month after i noticed there is a crack, im thinking they overtightened the screw. Spoke to them and since its been over a month they take no responsibility.

Is this a cause for worry? If not,
Is this something i can just leave on and monitor if it becomes big?

Im worried about water leaking between the wall and the liner.
Thank You

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 25
How frustrating! Since that area is not covered by water, my feeling is that you should seal it with something and then just keep an eye on it if getting a new faceplate is not likely.
Other pros will be around shortly with more guidance.

Yes im frustrated 😂 i feel i should worry but then again not. Its mostly when we are swimming and the water is splashing on the crack. This spring they changed it and it cost me $100. (Thought it was free because pool store closed it and water got in the skimmer as the valve was not closed)

Thank you ☺️

I think if you get some aquarium sealant (check to see if it's plastic compatible) and don't glob it up too much (for visual appeal) you should be fine. Are they using a screw in plate for covering the skimmer hole into the pool? There's also a Aquador plate that you put in once and use a removable seal kind of like a Tupperware lid.

As far as opening an AG pool, it's really no big deal. It's just a matter of attaching plumbing, filling with water, removing the cover and adjusting chemistries. Oh, I forgot - the steps/ladder ... it could be heavy but it is manageable!

Hey thanks, if i needed to seal it im thinking of gorilla marine type tape, im just not sure its compatible with vinyl or maybe get the aquarium sealant at amazon. I will be brave 😂 and try to open it next spring but i will spend a lot of time here at troublefreepool for guidance ☺️

Just my opinion but as much as I like gorilla tape I don't think it's appropriate for this application. Squeezing the sealant into the crack and smoothing it out on the surface should give you a better seal and a nicer look.

If you're taking care of you pool water now it's basically the same with opening just more of it. There is some physical labor in removing the winter cover and putting in the ladder but it really is easy. I learned to drain the water off the cover, use a hose to get all the crud in one place and a leaf rake to remove the crud. I use a sump pump for water removal, it takes a lot of the smaller crud with it. I raise the water to where it should be, that makes the cover easier to remove vs a large drop from lowering the water. But TFP will be here to help out come next spring!

Reactions: jenj0k
Thank You! Always answering my questions. I would need to find the aquarium seal or the transparent ones just need to look for something that is good for skimmer material and the vinyl just in case i go over it )not planning though ☺️) but for the meantime do you think water goes in between liner and wall? thats my worry.

Thank You! Always answering my questions. I would need to find the aquarium seal or the transparent ones just need to look for something that is good for skimmer material and the vinyl just in case i go over it )not planning though ☺️) but for the meantime do you think water goes in between liner and wall? thats my worry.
I can't say if water is going between the skimmer, liner and wall. Take a look and see if you can see layers going around the skimmer, there probably will be a gasket between the liner and pool wall. If yes, you're probably ok.

Reactions: jenj0k
I can't say if water is going between the skimmer, liner and wall. Take a look and see if you can see layers going around the skimmer, there probably will be a gasket between the liner and pool wall. If yes, you're probably ok.
Took a picture of the outside side of the skimmer. I think the rubber i see is the gasket? Please correct me if im wrong ☺️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you zoom in you can see a vertical crack on the front surface staring from the top of the screw. It won't take much to lose the corner so don't play with it. I'd get a good quality silicone, seal it up and call it done.
Thank you for replying to me. Is something that is pool specific silicone i need to use or for plastic that the skimmer is made of? I know some silicone that can be used to windows or bathrooms.

Took a picture of the outside side of the skimmer. I think the rubber i see is the gasket? Please correct me if im wrong ☺️
Looks like a gasket! :) The fact the crack is on top is good since it is not underwater, more than likely not much water to worry about. If you plan on using silicone on the crack just use blue painters tape on the liner by the crack to isolate the skimmer from the liner. Like wireform said don't mess with it too much, and be gentle. get some exam type gloves because silicone is messy.

Reactions: kul and Mdragger88
Probably happened by overtightening the screws. I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about other than aesthetically it may be something that bugs you. It's a super easy fix too. Probably take you all of 5 minutes to swap out that faceplate for a new one.

They have you covered with the crack!
Here’s the details on opening & closing the tfp way
👇

Looks like a gasket! :) The fact the crack is on top is good since it is not underwater, more than likely not much water to worry about. If you plan on using silicone on the crack just use blue painters tape on the liner by the crack to isolate the skimmer from the liner. Like wireform said don't mess with it too much, and be gentle. get some exam type gloves because silicone is messy.
@VinnyinNJ Thank You ☺️

Probably happened by overtightening the screws. I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about other than aesthetically it may be something that bugs you. It's a super easy fix too. Probably take you all of 5 minutes to swap out that faceplate for a new one.
@poolmagazine thank you! it put my mind at ease. wouldnt worry about it anymore, coz even when we were swimming i kept staring at it thinking water was going in between. Maybe will fix it when the season end☺️

They have you covered with the crack!
Here’s the details on opening & closing the tfp way
👇
@Mdragger88 thank you for this! Definitely confident to open next year! As for closing it I need to read it over and over to make sure I will not make any booboo on it ☺️

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.