Signed the contract and looking at products:)

You are SO close now!

Here is some homework for one of you.......Lets get your siggy set up. Go to setting (upper right) then to edit signature (middle left). Put in your pool specs-kind and size in gallons, equipment-kind and size, your test kit.

If you do not have a test kit yet NOW is the time to get it. See what your PB is providing and let us know. We will go from there.

Kim:kim:

Some additional video of the the last of the coping and paver install: Pool Build Part 6 - YouTube

Screen install wrapped up yesterday:

24E5B516-ACEC-4790-AB3A-C486E34F7445_zpsu8uvncgy.jpg

35756184-1011-4F20-A39B-5E75D172D589_zpssqstfnxd.jpg

And the video from the screen install:

Pool Build Part 7 - YouTube

Should have the safety inspection Monday and then it'll be some housecleaning/punchlist items and the finish. :)

Love it! I wondered how they would do the last pieces of screen.....that is strong enough to walk on! WOW!

I love the shape. The push up over the window is great. Swimming without any worries about bugs!

Don't forget your TFP "homework" LOL

looks awesome. i'm feeling alot better now about using bulnose pavers for coping. looks really good! i got a question. second pic up for the blend of the wall tile to the rise for the step up to the spa decking. how did they get the tile which is 1/4" thick blend even with the multiple inch thick paver used for the riser?

jim

- - - Updated - - -

Catching up on behalf of my sometimes tech challenged wife. ;)

Here's a copy/paste from 12/20:

Still making reasonably good progress with the pool build. Coping dude came out yesterday and started the job. It's sorta cool watching him work... he goes through and pre-cuts all the coping and then blends the cut pieces in with full pieces as he works around the pool. All the coping is set in cement and then grouted in with cement so they're unlikely to pop off down the road.

31767053345_c2f0aa352b_h.jpg

30925574034_ec80676e7e_h.jpg

As part of the process, it's inevitable that some of the pavers are a little "tighter" to their neighbor than others. In an effort to get even grout lines between the pieces, he goes back over the entire coping with an angle grinder/diamond blade and opens up the gaps by hand. I thought his approach to working in the water was awfully smart and easier than dragging around waders or rubber boots. :lol:

31394738050_d4c004f011_h.jpg

The guys doing the pavers were absolutely killing it. A crew of ~6-7 dudes descended on the area like a well-oiled machine. They knocked out almost all of the deck the first day they were on site.

31729780896_7bd8aec471_h.jpg

31650893301_365347ae72_h.jpg

31620250022_1665e6c46b_h.jpg

31620771892_43841a5428_h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now some additional time lapse video links and descriptions along with the status as of the middle of last week:

Next time-lapse is after the shell is done and really just the plumbing and initial water line tile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQMT6_h3Bw

Some more updates...

Part 3 of the time lapse is more tile work, putting in the forms for the screen footer, and then pouring the footer. Unfortunately the camera fogged up during the footer pour so the video goes crappy for a little bit. Stuff to watch for is the wood that's left in the footer concrete over by the spa. The dude messed up and didn't come back to get it out before the concrete set up. The result was concrete encased pressboard/mdf... which got rained on... and then expanded... and then cracked the footer. He got the joy of tearing out the entire corner of the footer over there and repouring it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpPMey3uzY&t=262s

Part 4 of the time lapse is primarily coping and pavers. If you look closely around 2:00, you can see the termite guy come out and spray the surface before they put the rest of the pavers down. In the background during the same section of the video is the dude trying to dig the wood out of the concrete over by the spa... later in the video he starts the demo work of taking that entire section out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3-UNYcF9o

Them taking off the corner... there was a crack that had propagated from the swollen wood and wrapped all the way down the footer. The sub tried to "promise" it'll never move... I wanted it torn out and our pool builder agreed 100%. I don't know how much it cost the guy to repour it but I'm sure it wasn't super cheap. At least he also spent probably 4 extra days onsite fixing his mistake.

31105036114_7ae8a3109b_h.jpg

The crack at the far top of the picture was a secondary one that formed after the wood had gotten rained on a couple more times. It was also the point where the entire side of the footer cracked after they started beating on it.

31797361042_36ccdb376e_h.jpg

Continuing to make little rocks out of big rocks.

31105036354_02d315eb1f_h.jpg

31907774176_c7fd399f96_h.jpg

31944820535_0b4083e02d_h.jpg

Earlier today as they were reforming the section and getting ready for concrete.

31571854700_f10d9d5ab0_h.jpg

One nice thing was that it gave the kids (and us) a chance to put our hand prints into it. Of course it's going to get more concrete and then pavers on top of it but it was fun for them to know that they got to make their mark on the pool.

31105037234_1e8fd832ec_h.jpg

And finally, here's the overall project as of today. Looking like we should have the last part of the pavers and coping done Friday and then it'll be screening and the finish next week. :)

31135967473_84445d4f62_h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And that brings us to current... the remaining pavers and coping were installed last Friday and then Monday. Screen supplies were dropped off today with the expectation that the install will begin tomorrow and take 2-3 days. Next up will be the finish late this week or beginning of next week. The finish should be 1 day of prep, 1 day of application, and then 1 day for the acid wash. The plan will be to fill it shortly thereafter. :)

i think i found it. u used tile for the riser? vs pavers?

The regular pavers are 60mm thick (IIRC) but a portion of the deck where we had an existing concrete slab uses their "thins" that are 30mm thick. The risers and other vertical paver areas also use the thins to keep from having as much material coming off the wall. For the section you're referencing, the formed concrete was offset enough that the paver risers would roughly line up with the waterline tile. The final piece of tile up next to the risers wasn't installed until the risers were in place in order to make sure that everything lined up.

Let me know if the above makes sense... if not, I can check for additional pics. I'm not certain that I took anything closer for that particular piece but can look around if needed. :)

Love it! I wondered how they would do the last pieces of screen.....that is strong enough to walk on! WOW!

I love the shape. The push up over the window is great. Swimming without any worries about bugs!

Don't forget your TFP "homework" LOL

Agreed, I wasn't sure if they were going to need to fab a vertical screen wall there or how they were going to work that piece of the design. Talking it through with the enclosure team, we worked out what you see in the pics. Their basic design wa almost exactly what made sense to me with only a few tweaks here and there (more for aesthetics than strength). In discussions with the guys doing the actual screen work, it turns out that the main beams and the perlins are all strong enough for ~220# loads as they walk across them. It's nice to know that I've got the option of going out on the structure for cleaning/repairs down the road. :)

Yep, I went ahead and ordered a test kit this morning and got some good news/bad news on the finish install yesterday. Good news is that the clean-up and finish crew should be out today and we may be filling the pool by Thursday. Bad news is that the clean-up and finish crew should be out today... not sure that I'll have the test kit in hand before the initial fill! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh so they r pavers. Doing the spa area around it offset is what I was afraid u were going to say. It just makes it so hard in the field to know exactly where everything is going to land. So you had to know exactly how far over the tile was going to end and the riser would begin. I'm not going to have a riser. My spa is just going to be off the pool raised 1 foot so it might be easier for me to tell them where I want the inset to begin. I don't think my pavers come in a thinner version either. I can always call the factory to see if they can make me something. My buddy buys a lot from them.

Yep, the vertical covering on the riser is paver. If you're looking to blend pavers into tile (like we did), the installer can also grind off part of the backside of paver and/or part of the beam to get things to line up appropriately. If you don't "need" thins for the rest of your build, I'd be inclined not to go buy a pallet of them for a small section (instead go with either of the grind options above).

LOL on the "bad news". That sound like GOOD news to me!

The test kit will get there soon. The company is very fast in getting them out as soon as the order comes in!

Your PB will do the start up so you are good for a couple/few days!

LOL on the "bad news". That sound like GOOD news to me!

The test kit will get there soon. The company is very fast in getting them out as soon as the order comes in!

Your PB will do the start up so you are good for a couple/few days!

Ooooof... more bad news, lol. Looks like the clean-out won't happen until tomorrow. That still puts us on track to start the fill this week though. The PB does 30 days of maintenance (vacuum, chemicals, etc) but it looks like the test kit delivery confirmation has it getting here Thursday so we should be good to go. :)

What I can't wait for is to hear what test kit he provides. It is fun to hear what the PB has to say when someone shows him their TFP test kit! We even had a PB give a sample box of test strips as the test kit :shock:!!!!

Yup, we'll see what they supply. IIRC, it's a decent (but basic) kit.

Tofay was the initial acid wash and clean out.

Pool Acid Wash - YouTube

A059D9DA-0614-4593-8B7C-5BFCF035CC3C_zps9a68oomg.jpg

Also got the "toe tile" for the steps installed today:

A4F4F245-9D8F-4942-8988-AFB6EFA4F2F6_zps10wamd2v.jpg

Finish should be going on tomorrow, another acid wash Fri, and then the fill begins. There are still some housekeeping type items to finish up before it's completely done. Some pavers need to be fixed, the dirt around the enclosure needs to be graded, the blower for the spa needs to be hooked up, and there are a couple electric outlets that need to be installed. Good news is that's all minor stuff and will give a chance to get the pool chemical levels dialed in. :)

Minor setback... the finishers ran late on another job and couldn't get out yesterday. If they'd come today, that would've pushed back the final acid wash and fill to next week. Our PB (and I believe PebbleTec) require the pool to be filled with ~48 hours of interior finishing, the decision was made to move the finish to Monday AM. That puts us on track for finish Monday, acid wash Tuesday, and then fill immediately afterward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.