Showering Before and After Using Hot Tub?

So it took a minute to realize after getting the hot tub, but both we and our suits caused way more foam freshly cleaned than not. The residual soaps / shampoos and laundry sauces while 'clean', made lotsa foam, while it seemed at first to be a great idea to start freshly clean.

Reusing the suits for several dips and keeping the girls's long hair above water made a huge difference.

I also stopped washing the pool and spa towels frequently as we got out way cleaner than we went in.

Never shower before, maybe shower after at my own tubs.

Shower before and after at public tubs like the Sky Lagoon...

Reactions: Mdragger88
If I am dirty & in need of a shower I do so before because it’s not a bathtub lol. Otherwise no.
Generally I don’t take one after just because of my use of the tub. If i am going somewhere after & my hair got all sweaty or something I will. If I’ve recently slathered on a bunch of sunscreen or lotion I will rinse that off before getting in.
In general if you’re dirtier than you thought you may notice the cc’s smell on your skin afterwards which means you should probably shower.
Obviously, The cleaner you are when getting in the less fc will be consumed, the fewer cc’s will be created, & the less you will need to clean your filters.
You definitely shouldn’t treat it like a bathtub but you should also be enjoying it on your own schedule & instead make situational decisions.

Reactions: InyoRich and Gebo
the only public pool I will get in is the Atlantic Ocean.
Same. Here's the last hotel I stayed at :

• Sad
Hmmm....interesting. My wife and I will be sniffing...
Sometimes it can linger & cc’s can cause irritation.
I just dose a little higher to compensate for the bather load which takes care of the tub if it happens & the shower & suit rinse takes care of me.

Reactions: Newdude
Use Charlie’s Soap or Molly’s Suds on your swim clothes with no other products (use white vinegar in the rinse if you want or a small addition of Oxiclean if there’s a chloramine smell) and you won’t have any issues with residual soap causing suds. Honestly speaking, modern laundry detergents are a scary stew of nasty detergent chemicals regardless of all the “pure and clean” marketing nonsense they paste on the plastic bottles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before I knew better, I would jump in my small pool after mowing the lawn, but I don't do that anymore (I shower first)! I don't typically shower before going into my spa but I do if I feel grungy (had a sweaty day, did yard work, etc).

I don't shower after getting out of my own pool or spa, but I will if I use a public pool. I avoid public spas (and public pools if they do not appear perfectly clean). :sick: I give bathing suits an extra hand-rinse or two and air-dry when/if they go in the clothes washer.

If I have been doing my weekday job - sitting (or standing) at a desk, in a climate controlled environment - all day, I do not shower before I get in my hot tub.

If have been doing "weekend stuff" - cutting the grass, DIY projects, hiking, basically working up a sweat in some way or the other - then I do shower before getting the hot tub, but then I shower after that regardless of if I plan on hot tubbing.

We do have a dedicated pair of suits for the tub. Au naturale is not an option for us, unless the neighbor wants a show. We (my wife especially) has found that our hot tub tends to destroy suits. It messes up any fabric that has elasticity. So we just use the same old suit over and over again for the hot tub, and just let them dry between uses.

I don't shower after using the hot tub, but then I am a shower in the morning kind of person - it helps me to wake up. When I used to run a lot, I would get up, shower, go out for a run, and shower again before work. I needed the shower to wake me up enough to actually have a productive training run.

My wife, on the other hand, is a shower at night before bed kind of person, since she is out of the house around 6:40 AM (I work from home most days and start 7:30 - 8:00 AM, whenever the shower and coffee kicks in) so she often shower after using the hot tub, since we normally use it in the evening.

Last edited:
I aggree about the suits.
I think its the hotter water in combination with the fc. I run the same fc/cya ratio% in my pool & have no issues there.
I relegate old or cheap suits to hot tub use except in the summer when I am going back & forth between tub & pool. If i am wearing a “good” suit I am sure to rinse it with cool water after.
For the tub I prefer ones with as little material & padding as possible as they carry away less spa water & also tend to be easier to get on & off under towel/robe. I usually just leave them to dry on the patio with my towels then grab them later and hang them in my shower so everyone doesn’t have to look at them. They get a rinse occasionally & a wash occasionally. No real schedule. If they get rained on I wash em.

Reactions: phonedave
Heat, chlorine, and forceful jets of water (mechanical stress) will destroy almost any fabric or material. It’s inevitable. Your one soak in the hot tub is probably the equivalent of 20 wash cycles. Definitely best to use the cheapest bathing suits possible … or at least check the local ordinances against lewd and lascivious disorderly conduct … 🫣

You gotta try a morning soak! ☕️ it’s rejuvenating!

I’m at the age now where waking up in the morning usually results in more aches and pains than I went to be with … so a morning soak in a hot tub sounds like a fabulous idea …

I’m at the age now where waking up in the morning usually results in more aches and pains than I went to be with … so a morning soak in a hot tub sounds like a fabulous idea …
It’s the only way I can move some days! This getting old is no joke!

Reactions: Newdude
I never tub. I never would. I never will. I never take baths, either. Reading this thread reminds me why. In fact, after reading this thread, I not only will never get in anyone's hot tub, I never want to even read about them ever again either! Yikes.

How Safe Are Hot Tubs? - WSJ

But then, I am a wash-my-hands-before-I-take-a-shower kind of person!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.