Should I keep salt on the low side for high water temps like 90 degrees?

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
First year with my aquatrol, haven't fired it up yet.

I am at 2800ppm salt and so by recommendations could probably do with another bag to get to 3400.

However, I am considering staying at 2800 and see if it works, because once we get into summer with good solar heating output I do like to keep the pool at 88 or so like a bath. I know that higher temps give more conductivity and I wonder if 2800 would be safer for the electronics a 90 degree water temps.

Does that make sense or should I go all the way to 3400 still?

Not sure about the chemistry side but I would keep it at least 400 over what your cell needs to run.
I have ignored my pool for a few weeks until the water looks different and notice a “low salt” on the SWG and the. Have to play catch-up.

My Edge-40 seems to shut down around 2600. I did start keeping an extra bag of salt at home.

Water temperature does not effect conductivity or salinity.

That said, Hayward SWGs should be kept at the lower end of the range. Higher salt levels cause the system to draw more amps which causes more heat on the board which can fry components.

3000 ppm salinity is a good target for your Aquatrol.

Reactions: markayash
The Aquarite and Aquatrol shut down according to the amps.

The T-15 shuts down at 8 amps for most software versions except a few versions that shut down at 10 amps.

I think that a T-9 is also 8 amps.

I don't know the amperage for the T-3 or the T-5.

Higher temperatures do increase conductivity and cell performance.

In some cases, high water temperatures will cause the cell to shut off at normal salinity levels especially when a heater is running.

For example, if your water is 90 degrees and the heater is on, the water exiting the heater and entering the cell can be 107 degrees and this can cause a T-15 to exceeds 8 amps and shut down.

In that case, you can change the cell type to T-9 and run the salinity at about 2,000 to 2,700 ppm without tripping the high or low salinity light.

So, you should keep the salinity to about 2,700 to 3,000 ppm maximum and watch for the shutdown during heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.