Cape Coral, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm new to in-ground pools and Florida. My pool rests under a pool cage so it is protected from outside debris. I'm posting in this section thinking that if you are all smart enough to test and treat your own pool water, you might know the answer to my question. Every week or so I notice a light brown "dusting" on the bottom of my pool. I usually grab my pool brush and push this "cloud' of underwater dust from the shallow end toward the derp end by the two outlet vents on the bottom of my pool thinking that it'll suck up the dust and run it through the filter. I asked my pool guy about this and he said it's calcium that falls to the bottom and collects there. I said "calcium from what?" He said in cooler winter conditions, the pool water makes calcium deposits and they drop to the bottom of the pool. I thought B.S. Anyone know about this? I'm thinking it's sand blowing into the pool. Or dirt and sand. Do the chemicals in the water really turn into calcium and leave a dust-like layer on the pool bottom when It's cold outside? Any response?

Likely dead algae from the chlorine doing it’s work sanitizing your pool.

Yeah, that is NOT calcium. Very very likely you are allowing your FC to get too low for a period of time

Algae then grows in your pool, there is enough chlorine to kill it for a while and the algae "carcasses" fall to the floor.

I suggest you start with Pool Care Basics Archives

Amd then follow that up by SLAMing your pool

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.